GT550 K voltage regulator

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jumbafiction
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550, GT125 X4

GT550 K voltage regulator

Post by jumbafiction »

Hello

I just bought this bike and previous owner warned me about this bike boiling batteries.

Is there any testing that can be made to voltage regulator? I have the mechanical one with points and some kind of coil under the metal cover.

One cell in my battery is in short circuit. I used car battery to start my motorcycle and looked how much voltage my stator was giving to battery. Voltage was from 18 volts to 45 volts and all my light bulbs shut down :lol: :clap: .

How mechanical regulator works? I had my bad battery connected when I was checking my voltage. If my battery is in short circuit, how would that affect how my regulator regulates voltage?
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: GT550 K voltage regulator

Post by jabcb »

The GT550 alternator is like a car alternator from back then.
It has a field coil (the rotor) that is powered by the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator controls the voltage by regulating how much current goes to the field coil.

The stator produces AC current, which is then converted to DC by the rectifier.
AC voltages of 18 to 45V is normal for the stator when its not connected to the rectifier.

You probably should also check the rectifier to make sure that its OK.
The voltage regulator is adjustable, but you first need to have a good battery & voltage regulator.

The shop manual provides some useful info: http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_G ... /index.php
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE