Which multimeter functions you can't do without

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

dgoodsy
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '72 gt750

Which multimeter functions you can't do without

Post by dgoodsy »

I am looking to buy a multimeter and have watched a bunch of youtube videos on the subject. I am kind of torn between 2 multimeters at the moment, the Uni t UT61e and the Uni t UT139c. I know what lots of you are thinking: "Uni t is a cheap brand, get a Fluke (or other high end meter) blah blah". I totally appreciate that but the way I see it, a Fluke is way overkill for me, as there will probably be months on end where I don't even think of my multimeter, let alone rely on it for something. To get a similarily featured Fluke meter compared to the 2 Uni t meters above I would be paying many more dollars. Maybe if I have more disposable income (and the Canadian dollar hikes up its socks) later on down the road I can buy a Fluke, but for now I don't want to spend that money. Anyways enough with trying to justify my cheapness and on with the question.

The trouble I am having is deciding between the 2 meters above. they have similar features (for a rookie like me, not for a electronics guru) and are both within my budget. The UT61 has way more resolution (22000count vs 5999 count) and is in general a more accurate meter as well, but I don't see that as a real benefit for how I intend to use the meter (car and bike work and troubleshooting as well as general household stuff, nothing that requires a great deal of accuracy or resolution). For the most part they are pretty much even across the board as far a features that have value for me.

Here are product links if you are interested in the 2 meters.

UT61E - http://www.uni-trend.com/productsdetail ... CateId=909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UT139C - http://www.uni-trend.com/productsdetail ... CateId=901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The single thing that is making me go back and forth between the 2 meters are these 2 features. The UT61E comes with a PC connection and datalogging software, but no temperature probe, and vica versa for the UT139. I can't decide which feature I would want between these 2. The temp probe I could see myself using for the HVAC system in my car and maybe house, the datalogging I could see myself using to try and find intermittent electrical issues on my bikes or car.

Some of you surely have had these features on a multimeter before, what did you like, what did you love and what did you think you were going to use but never did?

Do any of you guys
'72 GT750
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Which multimeter functions you can't do without

Post by tz375 »

For 99% of the electrical work that 99% do, any cheap meter is adequate. You will need DC Volts - up to say 200 and ohms and AC volts if you test an alternator output before teh rectifier and that's about it for most of us.

Over the years I have used expensive meters and chap ones and for bike work a chap one is adequate. On our good meter, I only use the three scales I mentioned and they are adequate and if I am at the other end of the shop I grab my decades old cheap analog meter and it's also good enough for what we do.

If you plan on doing something more advanced, by all means consider something more upscale.
dgoodsy
On the main road

Post by dgoodsy »

Are you recommending something cheaper than what I have listed? Or are you just saying either one will do fine?

I am leaning towards the UT61E at the moment (with datalogging but no temp measurement) and if I need temp measurement I can grab a basic infrared thermometer since they are not that expensive and the infrared would suit my needs better than thermocouple type (as found on the UT139C) anyway.
'72 GT750
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

If you need to ask questions regarding getting a technical meter (or anything else really) and a cheap item, get the cheap one as it's a waste of money buying functionality that you won't use or perhaps even understand.
Put it this way, I've just retired having worked in the electrical industry for 49 years with a technical background working on high and low voltages, computers and analogue/digital inputs and outputs plus most things in between.
Then, I needed technical meters. I have sold most of them and now have a cheap multimeter that reads 200v DC and 500 AC volts, multirange ohms (it sorts itself out on that issue), diode tester and milliamps plus current to 10 amps.
That's more than most folks will ever need as a garage meter.
Unless you need a calibrated meter to log and report tests, it doesn't matter if you only read to within 0.1 volt or 0.1 ohms.
So buy cheap and take the money saved to a bar and explain how you saved your cash for something more important that you were actually drinking.
And know you did the right thing!

Or.
I have a thermocouple type twin channel temperature tester that I'll sell you for an extortionate price if it makes you feel better.
Me? I use a cheap infra red one.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi dgoodsy,

As previously stated you do not need a high end meter, with the extra functions, unless you have a specific task that needs them. When I first encountered a DVM (Fluke 8061 I think) it was over £800 GBP (yes it was a few decades ago lol). I recently bought one of equal accuracy and it cost me £4.99 GBP. Rather than Temp probes and data logging the ability to measure a good current (10-12 Amps) would be far more useful.

Cheers Geoff
dgoodsy
On the main road

Post by dgoodsy »

Thanks guys, I realize I don't need a high end meter. That's why i'm looking at the Uni-T meters rather than Fluke.

What I'm really interested in (since both listed meters are in my price range) is whether you guys (and I) would find a thermocouple temp measurement functionality or data logging more useful.

Like I said both meters are more than accurate enough for me, with plenty of display resolution. I won't be doing work on any high voltage stuff and the 10 amp capability with these meters is plenty for me. If I need more than that I will call my friend with a clamp meter.

As of now I am leaning towards picking up the meter that can data log (this might be sort of handy like an analog meter for seeing intermittent things that wouldn't be blatantly obvious with a digital readout) and then later on down the road I can pick up an infrared thermometer if I need it. Infrared thermometer would better suit my needs than thermocouple I think.

Thanks guys!
'72 GT750
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I think that we are all suggesting that 60 quid is about 50 more than you need to spend.
dgoodsy
On the main road

Post by dgoodsy »

Aah yes, I follow. The reason I am looking for a multimeter is because my very basic cheap auto store meter died and I want to replace it. It was annoying to need a multimeter to check some home wiring and find the one I had not working,so I'm trying to pick one up that won't do that for a while.
'72 GT750
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

At this low price you can almost throw it away when the battery runs out :lol: .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-XL830L-Mi ... SwEzxYXNzG

Cheers Geoff
dgoodsy
On the main road

Post by dgoodsy »

Wow, electronics can be had ridiculously cheap these days! Such a massive spread between top end and bottom end products.

Thanks Zunspec
'72 GT750
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

dgoodsy wrote:Wow, electronics can be had ridiculously cheap these days! Such a massive spread between top end and bottom end products.

Thanks Zunspec
The high end equipment is expensive for a reason, the makers are not just making killer profits. However for household/automotive testing the basic ones (mine is surprisingly well made) are more than adequate.

Cheers Geoff
dgoodsy
On the main road

Post by dgoodsy »

Yeah, you are right. It has also been suggested to me that I could go cheap on the multimeter and save some to spend on other tools, like the IR thermometer already suggested above and a power probe. Anyway there are lots of options and I will probably see what kind of sales there are on boxing day before buying.
'72 GT750
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

Walmart sells a mid grade multimeter for $20 bucks that is of much more value than it sells. Has a flash light attached, lit LED display. Many cool features. The coolest feature, is a continuous current option with a buzzer. When electrical flow breaks via the 2 probes the buzzer sounds. A perfect tool to set timing with points. It's my go to tool for a lot of projects. The one I speak of is yellow and black.
Image Image
dgoodsy
On the main road

Post by dgoodsy »

Good to know, that's a handy feature for timing!
'72 GT750
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

It also has a separate probe attachment that reads temperature, very robust. Unlike the cheapos we usually buy. Also has very thick gauge wires for the probes. It's an outstanding deal.
Image Image