New Spark Plug Caps and Wires

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

TJCOOL
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 SUZUKI GT 250A

New Spark Plug Caps and Wires

Post by TJCOOL »

Hi

I know what spark plugs to get but what I would like to know is what would be the BEST wire and caps to get for mt 1976 Suzuki GT250A? Don't mind spending money on good stuff....I saw some high performance racing wire at rex's...40 wires inside...would something that high performance be a waste and not be used properly if not being raced? i have yet to recheck my bike manual\specs on thickness of wire and amount of strand inside..nevertheless, I would like top of the line parts and not mediocre..

thanks

Terry
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: New Spark Plug Caps and Wires

Post by Alan H »

Personally, I use 7mm multi strand copper cored HT leads and non resistor plug caps.
Make sure all the old HT lead is out of the coil, and epoxy new leads in.
This has worked on two sets of GT550 coils so far - you can also put clear plastic fuel tube over the HT leads so they don't get scuffed anywhere.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

not sure what you mean by epoxy new leads in?....and i suppose this type of wire and connectors can be had just about anywhere?
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Some Suzuki coils have a spike inside and some have a screw that the ht lead goes into - like a 'normal' plug cap.
When the lead is fastened in, just get some 2 pack epoxy glue and wipe it around the coil/ht lead joint to keep cable in and moisture out.
You'll get ht lead in good motor spares shops or ebay.
DO NOT GET SILICONE/CARBON FIBRE LEADS, THEY ARE CRAP.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Go with resistor plugs & non-resistor caps, or non-resistor plugs & resistor caps. NGK has both.

An alternative is to use modern aftermarket coils. Coils that fit your coil bracket are available & they typically come with copper HT wires.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

Alan H wrote:Some Suzuki coils have a spike inside and some have a screw that the ht lead goes into - like a 'normal' plug cap.
When the lead is fastened in, just get some 2 pack epoxy glue and wipe it around the coil/ht lead joint to keep cable in and moisture out.
You'll get ht lead in good motor spares shops or ebay.
DO NOT GET SILICONE/CARBON FIBRE LEADS, THEY ARE CRAP.

thanks for the clarification...good tip
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

jabcb wrote:Go with resistor plugs & non-resistor caps, or non-resistor plugs & resistor caps. NGK has both.

An alternative is to use modern aftermarket coils. Coils that fit your coil bracket are available & they typically come with copper HT wires.

I did buy new coils from rex's speed shop..a pair..and they will fit the bracket..I know they come with wires but I don't think those details were available on site as to whether they had copper ht wires..guess I'll have to wait until I get them...I have the standard nkg recommemnded spark plugs on the bike...I wasn't aware there were non-resistor or resistor type plugs..I'll have to check plugs to see which they are..this is all very good information..
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

just checked those plugs out

http://ngk-sparkplugs.com/b9es-p-1788.html

there are a few types...will check tonight exactly what I have...

this may seem like a dumb question but if the standard plugs are non-resistor type and I use resistor type caps - is there a physical difference between resistor and non-resistor caps?..just to make sure when I buy them I don't get the incorrect type...
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

Now I'm totally confused..is this article

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/plugwiretech.html

stating that using resistor plugs and caps is futile for older bikes like mine?

help!
Warehouse1001

Post by Warehouse1001 »

Mike Nixon knows his stuff. And, of course, his brother was a motorcycle giant. He's a very nice guy as well. Chuck
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

TJCOOL wrote:Now I'm totally confused..is this article

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/plugwiretech.html

stating that using resistor plugs and caps is futile for older bikes like mine?

help!
see the 'older vehicle maintenance issues' section.

I use copper cored HT leads plus non resistor plugs and caps as well as clean, new, correctly timed points as this gives a better spark on my 1970's non electronic road going motorcycle ignition systems, and I don't have a radio on them either, so no resistors means better starting and running which works for me.
Only been doing it since 1967 though, so I could have got it wrong. Maybe. :roll:

The difference between resistor and non resistor plug caps is that the resistor types usually have a 5000 ohm resistor in there which loses a bit of spark power. The choice is yours though, if all the wiring, coils, switches, battery, points, condensers on YOUR bike are brand new and the resistance of all joints and connectors is negligible, then it probably won't make any noticeable difference. Probably.
Last edited by Alan H on Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

yes he is...I emailed him and he was nice enough to draw some pictures for me..now I understand....