Can some one tell me how I hook the battery up??

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

zl900Love
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT550

Can some one tell me how I hook the battery up??

Post by zl900Love »

For the positive there is a connector with a female and a male part it is black where do u get the other end to this connector and can you run a gt550 with out a battery??

Also how do i hook the battery up?

There is also a wire under the left side cover it is red and it has a little bit of sodder on the end of it but nothing is attached to the end.
PHPaul
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1979 Yamaha XS650, 1974 Suzuki GT550

Re: Can some one tell me how I hook the battery up??

Post by PHPaul »

1. No, you can't run it without a battery.

2. The red wire under the left side cover is the positive lead. Sounds like it's missing the fuse holder and the part that goes from the fuse to the battery terminal. There should also be a heavy wire going from the positive terminal to the starter solenoid under the left cover.

3. The black is the negative and should go from the negative terminal to a frame ground. There should also be a heavy wire going from the negative/ground to a bolt on the engine case.
PHPaul
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1979 Yamaha XS650, 1974 Suzuki GT550

Re: Can some one tell me how I hook the battery up??

Post by PHPaul »

#1 is the negative lead. Should be black, but I had red handy so I used it. The heavy wire is grounded on the engine (see pic below). There should also be a smaller black wire (about 16 or 14 gauge) grounded to the frame. This can be crimped in with the connector for the main ground or attached to the battery separately.

#2 is the positive lead goes to the starter solenoid (see pic below) Again, there should be a smaller red lead to the main wiring harness via a fuse to supply power to the rest of the bike. You can connect it separately to the battery terminal, crimp it in with the main lead or tap it off where the main lead connects to the starter solenoid as I did. I upgraded to a modern fuse versus the old glass cartridge style.

If you look closely you can see extra small ground wires. MANY electrical problems are due to missing or corroded grounds, I chose to ground major components individually vice depending on mechanical connection to the frame.

#1 is the heavy lead from the battery.

#2 is the starter solenoid.

#3 is the fused lead to the wiring harness as described above.

#1 is the heavy ground lead from the battery negative to a bolt on the engine case. Again, it should be black but all I had was red so I used it and put black ID tape on the end.