ignition coil test t500 question

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

PippiFyrecracker
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 T500, 1983 SP250

ignition coil test t500 question

Post by PippiFyrecracker »

hey guys! I'm atttemping to test my left coil coming from my spark plug because my one exaust pipe is pumping out blue/white smoke and fouling plugs, while the other side is fine, I have already checked the timing and adjusted the idle, I replaced oil seals as well. So I'm trying to cover all areas, and learn as much as possible on the way!

so for this task i started here:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to ... ion-coil#b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not familiar at all with electrical so I had a couple of questions,

I'm using this diagram,
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/t500_ ... 00wire.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. I need to figure out which wire is the low-tension wire and ground terminal wire.

2. I'm not familiar with the terms so if someone can link me to a place where I can find the info, or just straight up tell me the wire location and colour. that would be a good start.

3. Also when I test the wires, what setting should I have the volt meter to? As to not damage it and have accurate read outs?

Thanks in advance!
Erin
parksie
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki t500 69,71,73, Gt500 76

Re: ignition coil test t500 question

Post by parksie »

Quick simple test is to physically swap the coils over and see if the problem goes to the other pot. If it does the coil is the culprit.
1969 T500
1973 T500
1971 T500 (being restored)
1976 GT500 (being restored)
2012 Ninja 650
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block

Good call it sure helps to have some input! Thanks!!
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

:? Hi,check exhaust baffles,if all o.k. with them...you could have blocked/choked exhaust pipes ?
Regards,
Roger
GT750Battleship.
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block

Hiya, I just burnt clean my baffles last month... one of them was cracked, so I screwed it together so it didnt break apart next time I pull em, just makes some extra rattle
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block

So I'm not gonna switch over the coils, because I dont know enough about wiring and I dont wanna ***** anything up... also the wires are soldered onto the coils.... I just need to know how to tell which wire is the primary and secondary, i'll post more in a min, I have to go back and read the instructions again...
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block

ignition coil test t500-wiring and multimeter questions

so the left coil has the spark plug wire as well as a white wire and an orange wire. The right coil has the spark plug wire a black wire and an orange wire. I read that the primary wire is a small wire that goes to the cdi, so I'm assuming they are the black and white wire, because they go to the altenator? So what are the secondary wires? Also what setting should the multimeter be on, there is more than one ohm setting? Do I have to open the wire housing to test it or can I test it by touching the tip to the solder? Sorry if there are so many questions, I am learning!! :) thanks in advance!