Canadian edition RG250 Gamma - CDI box alternative

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

straycat
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RG250 Gamma

Canadian edition RG250 Gamma - CDI box alternative

Post by straycat »

Hello, this is my first post here on the forum. I've got a few bikes (Honda NS400R, Yam RZ350, Yam FZR400, RG250 Gamma0. Im currently restoring the 87 RG250 Gamma (Canadian edition), I have no spark and and I need a CDI box suitable replacement.

Strangely, the Suzuki parts fiche and all the avaialable CDI's list/show a small 5 pin CDI for this bike (mounted beside the Reg Rec inthe center of the bike frame). The Canadian Gamma however, has a 6 pin 2 plug CDI and corresponding 2 wiring harness plugs (mounted on the left side of the toolbox). for some reason the Canadian bikes are different to the others sold around the world (?). With only 120 Canadian Gamma's imported, finding a NOS 6 pin seems unlikely unless I can find out what other bike may have used a similar 6 pin/2 plug CDI box

Where would a fellow go about getting an aftermarket 6 Pin CDI for such a bike ?

Any help or guidance is appreciated, I'm no ignition/electrical expert.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Re: Canadian edition RG250 Gamma - CDI box alternative

Post by rngdng »

You're in for a long search I'm afraid. It's not common for ignitions to be used on more than one model. Good luck.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
straycat
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RG250 Gamma

Post by straycat »

I was afraid of that.

My back-up plan is to swap the wiring harness and CDI from a european RG (I have a speare harness, stator, CDI and Reg/Rec from a Euro and Japanese spec bike)
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I'd look at Euro Gamma sites sites and see if they have an answer. In all probability the differences relate to emissions and possibly timing of power jets or power valve servos (cannot remember if the 87 MK3 had either or both)

I cannot remember how many pins our Australian RG250 CDI had - fortunately, we never had a problem with ours.

I would try RG250 gamma sites to see what they recommend - other than RZ350 transplant that is :wink: :lol: