Battery Question

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Flywheel
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT185

Battery Question

Post by Flywheel »

Battery question, non-Suzuki related. On my Yamaha Seca the battery constantly bubbles even when disconnected (days after riding in fact). Not aggressively bubbling but releasing gas nevertheless. Normal or is my voltage regulator on the way out and overcharging?
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Re: Battery Question

Post by pearljam724 »

I would say it's not normal if it's constant and abundant. All batteries will do this to a degree, in a car, on a bike, etc. My sealed truck battery will spew a few ounces of acid once in a while. Put a multimeter on the battery when idling and slightly revving the bike. Walmart sells an outstanding multimeter for $25. It has special functions for checking a battery, has a beeper setting when continuity is interrupted (awesome for setting timing), a built in flash light, a light up LCD display and the coolest feature is a separate attachment probe that you plug in and checks temperature of anything you touch with it. Very stout. I got tired of the $7 generic mulitmeter cords not lasting. The one I'm referring to is well worth $25. I use it for a lot of different reasons. You can check ohm resistance on the rectifier to verify it is good or not. There is an ohm setting also, designed just for that reason. Or simply verify by touch, if it's getting too hot when the bike is idling for a while. Test the battery, while it's charging at a 2 amp rate while it's off the bike also. If your wires and connectors are not very clean. Good chance, the rectifier is suffering as a result. Amongst other things. It's extremely easy to address those things.
Image Image
Flywheel
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT185

Re: Battery Question

Post by Flywheel »

pearljam724 wrote:I would say it's not normal if it's constant and abundant. All batteries will do this to a degree, in a car, on a bike, etc. My sealed truck battery will spew a few ounces of acid once in a while. Put a multimeter on the battery when idling and slightly revving the bike. Walmart sells an outstanding multimeter for $25. It has special functions for checking a battery, has a beeper setting when continuity is interrupted (awesome for setting timing), a built in flash light, a light up LCD display and the coolest feature is a separate attachment probe that you plug in and checks temperature of anything you touch with it. Very stout. I got tired of the $7 generic mulitmeter cords not lasting. The one I'm referring to is well worth $25. I use it for a lot of different reasons. You can check ohm resistance on the rectifier to verify it is good or not. There is an ohm setting also, designed just for that reason. Or simply verify by touch, if it's getting too hot when the bike is idling for a while. Test the battery, while it's charging at a 2 amp rate while it's off the bike also. If your wires and connectors are not very clean. Good chance, the rectifier is suffering as a result. Amongst other things. It's extremely easy to address those things.

That multimeter sounds a lot better than the one I have, I'll have to check that out. As for the battery I just wanted to get another opinion other than my own. It's been doing this since I bought it, the battery still lasts after 2000 miles so I would doubt there's any problem.