Power dynamo users???? Need help please <3

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

tonyb
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, YZ250

Power dynamo users???? Need help please <3

Post by tonyb »

Working on a t500 race bike that I'm trying to get up and running and I believe the problem to be the power Dynamo race ignition or possibly plugs. compression is at 165 on each cylinder, carbs Cleaned and set up. I got one cylinder to run then abruptly shut off repeatedly. This is weird because PD fires both at same time. The bike came with b9hs plugs and I know that the titan uses b7hs or b77hc. I've read a ton about the PD ignition and it must use non resistor caps, does this mean I need resistor plugs? My street titan always wants to start with its points! I really considering going with a stock or different ignition system. The bike however is modified, over boared, modified to use premix, ported, exhaust etc. wondering if it requires a racing ignition? Any insight would've greatly appreciated, trying to get the beast out a willow springs. Thanks!
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Power dynamo users???? Need help please <3

Post by tz375 »

I have no experience with the PD (MZb) system but it would be an unusual fault that causes that problem. I'd swap the carbs over and see if the symptoms swap sides.

I guess if the jetting was super rich it might foul the cold plugs but again it would have to be a long way out to do that but it does sound like jetting. At 165 psi, I would be using race gas and B9s too.

Somewhere here I have an almost new complete Motoplat race ignition system that I was told came off a T500 racer but I cannot guarantee it would fit. I'd have to check the taper.

Self generating race systems are also available from PVL and HPI Belgium and others and there are also battery powered programmable electronic systems available from other suppliers that can be adapted to fit.

I'd start by using a pair of plug gap testers from pep Boys or autozone

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/auto ... gQodSB8ARA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Igni ... 54&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are simpler cheaper ones. Flick the wheel with the plugs out and leads connected to the testers (both at once) and you should see nice blue spark on both sides at once.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hello tonyb.

I have used the Powerdynamo race self generating ignition on my Seeley T500 race engine and it was easy to set up and performed well. I run NGK B9ECV or B10ECV plugs. The plug caps came with the ignition kit so I assume they are not resistive. Ignition is set to 2.9mm BTDC

The symptoms you describe would point to a fuelling issue if the engine does fire on one side and not the other. As the PD fires every 180 degrees try swapping the plug leads to see if the firing cylinder changes. Running and then stopping would point to fuel flow so I think your tank/fuel tap/float bowl needle could also benefit from double checking.

You could race with a std. points and coil set up, going electronic means once you have it set, no more adjustment then needed. Using a self generating vice a 12v driven system brings the advantage of simplicity and reliability, no better accuracy though. I now have an HPI system, only invested in it because I wanted to be able to custom map the ignition curve. The PD systems ignition curve is set at the factory (although I think they will re-programme it if you send it back with your specific requirements)

Cheers Geoff
tonyb
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, YZ250

Post by tonyb »

Right on thanks for the info fellas. Going to try swapping the carbs around. One question about the PD is do the spark plug wires just screw in willy nilly on the coil side? It's not a very secure connection am I missing something?
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

tonyb wrote:Right on thanks for the info fellas. Going to try swapping the carbs around. One question about the PD is do the spark plug wires just screw in willy nilly on the coil side? It's not a very secure connection am I missing something?
Hello tonyb, The HT leads screw on and are protected by a rubber boot. This is quite a common arrangement and should give no connection problems.

Cheers Geoff