GT550 generator replacement

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Clarkie_10
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550 ( 1975 )

GT550 generator replacement

Post by Clarkie_10 »

Hi Guys ,
I've just joined the forum as It would appear there are a lot of clever people out there willing to help .

Having recently purchased a 1975 GT550 ( european model ) M i'm told .

I have stripped and overhauld the carbs , c/w new jets correct sizes . i then moved on to re-wiring parts of the loom where it appeared to look like a rats nest ( previous owners work !!) .
Once up and running i have discovered that the battery is not charging when running and I have to rev the bike at 4k to get 1.3v ac at the windings ( yellow cables ) .
I have just purchased a replacement generator KOKUSAN from (ebay ) .

My question is what kinda job is it to swap out with regards to the loom ? Can I disconnect the clutch cable and pull the cover off or will I have oil leaking out ? I do have a Haynes manual surprisingly this is not explained !! :?
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: GT550 generator replacement

Post by GTandcbr »

Hi cant help re the loom connection but you may find this link useful....
http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/gt/manuals/gt ... 550-49.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please note it does say at the end that the brushes rotor and reg/rec can be changed as a set only.
Good luck
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
Clarkie_10
On the street

Post by Clarkie_10 »

Hi thanks for the speedy reply and info .
However I still require advise for changing stator / winding & loom .
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

you can take the clutch cover off without losing any oil first remove the outside cover disconnect the cable and remove the mechanism and then remove the retaining screws and pull the cover off. its the other side that contains the clutch and starter clutch that is sealed and contains the oil
http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/gt/manuals/gt ... 550-15.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; see 7-1-16 and 7-1-17
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
Clarkie_10
On the street

Post by Clarkie_10 »

Oh , that's excellent news .

Once again thanks for your help and the use full link . :up:
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

You can take the inner cover (that has the clutch release mechanism on) off as well without losing oil. You'll need this off to get to the generator wiring. Check the brushes firstly, they may just be worn.
If you want a copy of an early service manual FOC, drop me a PM with your email on it.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Clarkie_10
On the street

Post by Clarkie_10 »

Thanks for your advice , I've discovered that the field winding cable had detached from the soldered connection point and have now managed to repair it .
However as I've gone to replace the rotor this evening only to find that I have a small amount of red 2t oil sitting / weeping from the lower crankcase seal (bike has'nt done 300 mls since seals fitted by previous owner !! ) Do you know of an easy fix ? why should this weep when bike stood in garage I thought oil pump need pump with engine running ? I have previously check NRV/banjo valves and all seemed good .
Any advice welcome :?