1972 t500 neutral light not turning on

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

freedom0226
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1973 t500

1972 t500 neutral light not turning on

Post by freedom0226 »

i am newbie to the bike world so bare with me... ok i have 1973 suzuki t500 titan. i am trying to figure out why i have no green neutral light ... i know the bulb is working because if i give ground the blue wire which leads to the "N" light on the gauge it does indeed light up. The orange wire supplies power to the gauge and blue is neutral. i have traced this blue wire all the way down to the connector and i cannot seem to find any opens with the wiring. I have tried shifting into every gear up and down and no still no light.also all the other accessories on the same circuit of the orange wire like the horn and lights etc are working fine ,so it must be the blue wire...Any ideas where to start from here are appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
freedom0226
On the street

Re: 1972 t500 neutral light not turning on

Post by freedom0226 »

13 views not one comment. i tried doing a search before i posted. Please let me know if maybe i am not explaining myself correctly. apologies if i am not.
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

If the blue wire is intact (it likes to get pinched between the side cover and the case), then either the switch housing or the contact under it need attention. Check for continuity to ground between the switch (where the wire attaches, with the wire disconnected) and ground.

Could be dirty inside, or the contact is buggered up somehow.
freedom0226
On the street

Post by freedom0226 »

thank you for a reply. i will check that this week and post with results...Cause at the moment i dont see any pinched wires etc but i have not looked under the case like you mentioned so i will be sure to check ... thanx... Now i need to find a battery that fits the battery box the PO just had a larger battery laying on the frame...
freedom0226
On the street

Post by freedom0226 »

ok sorry for the delay i was working out other things on another thread... so i take the cover off and of course theres tons of gunk build up etc. once i cleaned everything up i found the neutral switch missing and the wire appeared to be connected to something because it was buried in gunk....New switch being ordered...
edit: if any one knows the size of the bolt that secures the neutral switch .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.