Front brake light switch help

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

cafe noob
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1969 Suzuki T350

Front brake light switch help

Post by cafe noob »

I have picked up a new stock style brake light switch kit for the front on my '69 T350, but the old one is not on the bike and I can't find anything to show me how this confusing thing goes on there. Not even my useless Haynes manual has anything about it. I know how the wiring goes, but not how all the pieces of the switch install to make it function. I'll include a link or a picture to the type of kit I have. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

http://www.discountbikespares.co.uk/our ... -GSXR.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: Front brake light switch help

Post by jabcb »

My 69 T350 was not originally equipped with a stop light switch for the front brake.
The brake lever assembly also doesn't have the attachment point for mounting the switch.

Your bike may be the same.
Post a pic of the underside of the front brake lever assembly.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
cafe noob
On the street

Post by cafe noob »

jabcb wrote:My 69 T350 was not originally equipped with a stop light switch for the front brake.
The brake lever assembly also doesn't have the attachment point for mounting the switch.

Your bike may be the same.
Post a pic of the underside of the front brake lever assembly.

Here's a pic.
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

The piece with the brass square end fits inside the housing and the other end of that brass piece protrudes out of the oval looking encasement through the brake lever perch. There should be a spring that allows constant tension up against that brass mechanism. When you apply the lever. It pushes that rod and allows contact electrically. Brightening the tail light. Remove the two crusty screws you have pictured and save the plate underneath. That plate goes under or over the new wiring board. Replace crusty screws with the new pictured in your link. Make sure your harness is connected correctly on the other end. It will help a good deal. If you have an additional bike to look at the same set up. Nearly all brake light switches on all bike models are the same.
Image Image
cafe noob
On the street

Post by cafe noob »

pearljam724 wrote:The piece with the brass square end fits inside the housing and the other end of that brass piece protrudes out of the oval looking encasement through the brake lever perch. There should be a spring that allows constant tension up against that brass mechanism. When you apply the lever. It pushes that rod and allows contact electrically. Brightening the tail light. Remove the two crusty screws you have pictured and save the plate underneath. That plate goes under or over the new wiring board. Replace crusty screws with the new pictured in your link. Make sure your harness is connected correctly on the other end. It will help a good deal. If you have an additional bike to look at the same set up. Nearly all brake light switches on all bike models are the same.

If it's not too much trouble, could you get a picture or draw a diagram, I'm having trouble reconciling how this goes in my brain. (sorry). Or will it be obvious once I remove that plate on the bottom of my lever?
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

My bikes aren't near me at this time. But, here is a set up very similar to yours. Shows good illustrations and instructions. The square looking brass connection faces the 2 long brass contacts on the end of the wiring board. That's where it makes contact when the lever is pulled. It's all very obvious when you take things a part and study the situation for a few minutes by looking at all of the parts and the information I gave you. Picture 13 on the link I posted will give you a very good idea of the concept. http://beergarage.com/GSXRBrakeSwitch.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image Image
cafe noob
On the street

Post by cafe noob »

pearljam724 wrote:My bikes aren't near me at this time. But, here is a set up very similar to yours. Shows good illustrations and instructions. The square looking brass connection faces the 2 long brass contacts on the end of the wiring board. That's where it makes contact when the lever is pulled. It's all very obvious when you take things a part and study the situation for a few minutes by looking at all of the parts and the information I gave you. Picture 13 on the link I posted will give you a very good idea of the concept. http://beergarage.com/GSXRBrakeSwitch.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That link was awesome! Very helpful, indeed. Thank you sooo much! I guess I thought it was some type of push switch, not a sliding switch. It became really obvious between that link and taking everything apart. I got it installed with no issues at all. Thanks again!
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Oooh I need one of them, but the price is a killer! Ouch!
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Plenty on ebay at a quarter the price.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
cafe noob
On the street

Post by cafe noob »

Alan H wrote:Plenty on ebay at a quarter the price.

I think I paid in the 10 dollar range for mine… free shipping. It works great.
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

cafe noob wrote:
pearljam724 wrote:My bikes aren't near me at this time. But, here is a set up very similar to yours. Shows good illustrations and instructions. The square looking brass connection faces the 2 long brass contacts on the end of the wiring board. That's where it makes contact when the lever is pulled. It's all very obvious when you take things a part and study the situation for a few minutes by looking at all of the parts and the information I gave you. Picture 13 on the link I posted will give you a very good idea of the concept. http://beergarage.com/GSXRBrakeSwitch.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That link was awesome! Very helpful, indeed. Thank you sooo much! I guess I thought it was some type of push switch, not a sliding switch. It became really obvious between that link and taking everything apart. I got it installed with no issues at all. Thanks again!
Glad I could help. You're welcome. Motorcycles of all kinds, through out a long period of time are very similar in a lot of ways. As greatly as they have changed and improved in a lot ways. A lot of the concepts have still remained. Proof is, you learned how to install a brake light switch using what I believe was probably a late 90's model GSXR sprortbike on your 70's 2 stroke motorcycle. You just have to not be intimidated and realize they all are very simple machines to understand and not be afraid of that fact. It always helps to get a helping hand.
Image Image
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Alan H wrote:Plenty on ebay at a quarter the price.
I'd better look again, last time I looked I could only find the later type FB light switches.
johnbradshow
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: "none"

Post by johnbradshow »

I found several listing of your brake switch on ebay today cheap, you may want to check them out!