75 GT Rectifier Check?

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

soloZ06
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT 250

75 GT Rectifier Check?

Post by soloZ06 »

I have six wired coming out of my rectifier. Two solid reds, two red w/green tracer, one yellow w/ green tracer and a black with w/ white tracer. Looks to me that the two red wires are connected together and the two red w/ green tracers are connected together. I'd think that I would test with the meter's positive to solid red and the meter's negative to one of the red w/ green tracers and then then the yellow w/ green tracer. Switch positive and negative meter wires, then repeat. Then repeat again starting with the positive meter wire connected to the ground wire and repeat all steps. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Patrick
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Re: 75 GT Rectifier Check?

Post by pearljam724 »

There really isn't a need to test it in that manner. If you simply put a multimeter on the battery before you crank, while you crank and after the motor is running. At idle, higher rpm's and test the battery after these tests and that battery tests fine. That should tell you if the rectifier is doing it's job. You could do an ohm test on the rectifier terminals and compare the reading to each terminal I would think. These rectifiers last forever as long as an electrical connection to it or on the terminals them selves don't get compromised due to over heating the wire or terminals due to oxidation, grease, dirt, etc. As long as the terminals aren't burnt, the wire itself hasn't burned or isn't too heavily oxidized it should be fine if you run those tests. Or buy a new one for peace of mind. The three yellow and red wires are connected to the generator. Properly test your battery as I mentioned above. That will save you a ton of headaches of thinking your problems is something else. People, including myself over look the battery which is the most important component in reference to these particular bikes. Charging it or having just bought a new battery doesn't mean a thing. You have to run those tests.
Image Image