T350 ignition switch question

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

AgentOrange
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T350

T350 ignition switch question

Post by AgentOrange »

I feel kind of silly asking this but I have this 4 wire ignition switch on my 71 T350 that I thought had a day and night ignition position? Is this correct? I get spark on the second position but not when the key is turned clockwise. I cannot run a head light in the day position because it will drain the battery (35W/35W H4). I read that the suzuki's have 12 'packs' in the alternator, 6 run on the day position, 12 on the night to power the lights. Ive been riding without any power to the light and the bike runs fine. Im just curious if the ignition has 2 different positions or there is something wrong with my charging system.

jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: T350 ignition switch question

Post by jabcb »

You are correct in that turning the lights on or off also adjusts the alternator output.
The T350 does not have a voltage regulator. It has a just adequate alternator & uses the battery as the voltage regulator.

Your bike originally had a rather dismal 25/35W headlight.
A 35/35W H4 is ok & much brighter. But the commonly used 55/60W H4 is a big increase in load.

The wiring diagram for the 1977 GT250B is here: download/file.php?id=826
The wiring diagram for your bike is similar, except that the GT250B has a voltage regulator and your T350 does not have one.

Your ignition switch has 3 positions:
1) off
2) on
3) parking, which has the bike switched off & just powers the taillight

In the on position, lights are controlled by the lights on/off switch on the left handlebar.
Take a look at that switch in the wiring diagram.
It turns the lights on/off (Gr & O wires)
It also turns on/off part of the alternator (R/G & G/W wires)

The alternator actually has 6 coils. The coils that are always on are referred to as the charging coils. The coils that are switched on/off with the headlight are referred to as the lighting coil.

It does seem fairly common that the wiring for the lighting coils get messed up.

Look at how the alternator is connected.
You might have a problem with those connectors &/or the lights on/off switch.

If your bike charges the battery when the lights are off then the rectifier is ok.

If this is a recent problem & your bike used to charge the battery with the lights on, then the alternator is connected correctly.
What is the history of your bike? Is this a new problem?

Its likely NOT a problem with the alternator, but you should check it.
The alternator specs are on page 15 of: http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/suzi/suzidata1.htm
Check the alternator wire resistances:
1) between G/W & Y/G wires
2) between G & Y/G wires
3) between R/G & Y/G wires
4) between each of those wires & ground (a spot on the motor that isn't clear coated.)
You should get a small reading for test 1 thru 3 & open circuit for test 4.

Your problem may be solved by cleaning the alternator wiring connection & cleaning the light on/off switch.

You have a choice in ways to fix this.
An option is to replace the rectifier with a modern rectifier/regulator & wire it up for maximum alternator output.
This will provide a bit more alternator output & allow you to switch to an AGM battery.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
grumpy56
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1970 T350 Restored; 1972 GT380 Build

Post by grumpy56 »

I think I need a new switch for my 1970 T350, but all I see advertised are the 4 wire. I have a 6 wire switch. Anyone know where I can get a 6 wire switch or how to convert mine to 4 wire? Thanks.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

grumpy56 wrote:I think I need a new switch for my 1970 T350, but all I see advertised are the 4 wire. I have a 6 wire switch. Anyone know where I can get a 6 wire switch or how to convert mine to 4 wire? Thanks.
Another member has the same problem.
See that topic for some info on the conversion: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11449
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE