Can ignition switch cause running problems ?

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Can ignition switch cause running problems ?

Post by pearljam724 »

As some of you may remember I posted this thread a few weeks ago. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I haven't had the time to completely test a few things. Today, I replaced all points and condensers with new. Which, I strongly feel that isn't the problem as I previously tried 2 sets and both worked perfectly fine before my problem. Second thing I'm going to do is throw on a brand new set of coils and test the old ones. I don't think that's the problem either. The reason I am coming back to you guys with this. Is I have a very weird timing light issue. I purchased a timing light off of Ebay to assist me in setting the timing. With that light I was having problems with the light not going out regardless if the points were open or not. The light would stay on. So, being that particular light is an LED. I figured I'd make another home made light from a flash light to see if that was the problem. That light works perfectly fine on the center and right cylinder. But, like before. This light also will not dim or go out with the left cylinder points wide open. It seems as if current is being drawn form somewhere ? The strange part, I disconnected every single electric item on the bike, including the battery and I still have this problem. I did not disconnect a brand new aftermarket switch. Could the ignition switch be the root of all my problems ? The ignition switch works perfect fine when turning the bike on, starting it, etc. Could a switch cause problems with dropping cylinders ? The switch does everything you would want it to do. However, it's wired with smaller gauge wire than the oem ones. Every single connection on this bike is brand spanking new and clean. I can't understand what would make both lights not go out. It's hooked up correctly as I now have no problems with a timing light going out on 2 of 3 points when they are open. :x
Image Image
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Re: Can ignition switch cause running problems ?

Post by GT750Battleship »

:? Hi,yes possible,I'd check the switch,mine was playing up for weeks..power sometimes then nothing...tried to fix it by taking apart...but in the end "binned it",& bought genuine switch.
Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Check voltage at points with them open & closed.
Check order of parts where wire is attached to the points.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

jabcb wrote:Check voltage at points with them open & closed.
Check order of parts where wire is attached to the points.
The new points I just installed, all 3 arranged exactly the same. If you are referring to the order of connectors, washers, lock nuts, etc. being stacked on top of one another ? And the left cylinder I consistently have this problem. Where I never do on middle and right cylinders. Where can I find the correct order, if there is something to look at. I can't tell looking at a fiche ? Should I get 12 volts, with them closed ? I tested the old coils last night with an ohm meter. They are perfectly fine.
Image Image
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Open should be 12v + but when they close, the power flows to coils and to points/capacitor to ground and will be slightly less - maybe 12v or 11.5 and all 3 should be the same. Test at the 6 way connector to the coils just to be sure that all 3 are the same. It sounds like a bad connection or bad condenser on one pot.
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

tz375 wrote:Open should be 12v + but when they close, the power flows to coils and to points/capacitor to ground and will be slightly less - maybe 12v or 11.5 and all 3 should be the same. Test at the 6 way connector to the coils just to be sure that all 3 are the same. It sounds like a bad connection or bad condenser on one pot.
I changed all points and condensers to 3 separate sets, just recently to new. That's definitely not the issue. I tested the coils on the bike, good. I'm about to throw on a never used set of coils just to be sure. At this point, I'm heavily leaning on the ignition switch. I've yet to try to start it since installing the new points and condensers. I'm waiting to switch the ignition. I checked the 6 way connector many or times, it's also good. Since the problem of the cylinders dropping, the battery always remained strong. Tested with a multimeter, etc. This problem began nearly a month ago. I didn't get back to the bike until, yesterday. Weird thing about yesterday. I went to turn on the ignition just to check if I still had power at the battery after it sitting for a couple of weeks. The key would not turn on the ignition, lights, etc. I removed the brand new battery, tested it and it read 12 volts. I'm pretty confident at this point it has been the ignition switch all along. I'm going to be damn disappointed if it is not. Cause at this point, I've exhausted everything that I can think of . I'm just not sure, if a faulty ignition switch would cause cylinders to drop. When that ignition switch caused no other problems as far as starting and turning the bike on. It's also very strange that 2 timing lights will not go out on the left cylinder. Regardless, of the point being open. All electrical components and battery disconnected. 2 separate, 2 new rectifiers also tried. I'm going nuts over this.
Image Image
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

Check the coil voltage drop with the points open & closed.
Should be close to 12v with the points closed & zero with the points open.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Did the problem start when you changed out the points or the switch? Is it possible that the left set is wired so that it either shorts out or loses connection as it runs ie the assembly order is incorrect. Coyote had a picture of the correct sequence of parts.
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

Ok, I'll check those things. The bike ran great for a couple of months after completing it last year. Using that same switch. Things went hay wire, when I attempted to mess with the points not knowing a whole lot about setting them and the timing at the time. I completely, understand those things now. But, for some unknown reason. It's consistently dropping 2 cylinders after the bike is ridden down the road and it warms up. The bike cools down and I regain those cylinders, but don't quite have the power I should. No power and cylinders drop when I attempt to climb hills. Once the bike is back on flat ground, it regains all cylinders. The bike isn't over heating.
Image Image
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

She's a runner boys. Mystery solved. WA HOO ! ! !
Image Image
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

And the problem was ???????
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

tz375 wrote:And the problem was ???????

After countless hours of failure. I finally found the problem to the bike dropping cylinders. About a month ago, I was looking things over on my points plate. I observed just how bad the condition of the cam cleaner felt was. It was falling apart. Being they are not available anywhere. I took it upon my self to make a new one made from a felt polishing disk. The piece that holds the felt on my points plate is different than most I have observed on other bikes. Most bikes I have seen have two thick wire like pieces that wrap around the felt to hold it into place. Mine are two thick, stationary, finger like pieces similar to the retainer under the gas tank lock on later models. The felt has to be the perfect width for mine to hold properly. The piece I made was slightly too thick. Therefore I had to lightly hammer the retaining piece in order to squeeze the felt in place. Well, one of those 2 arms were bent to the side far enough to ground the left cylinder points. I never saw the problem. Because the thicker felt I had made was hiding the issue. That's why the timing light for the left cylinder was never going out with the points open. I was ready to set this thing on fire. I reset the timing, 85 times. :mrgreen:
Image Image
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

Did you find this via the voltage checks?

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

jabcb wrote:Did you find this via the voltage checks?
No jabcb, at this point everything on the bike was disconnected. That issue was causing a lot of problems. For example, at one point the ignition would not turn on. Even though I had 12 volts to the battery. That was the first time that had happened over this long period of investigating. When I disconnected the ignition switch, with nothing remaining hooked up to the bike and the timing light was not going out on that cylinder only and point wide open. I knew I had to look further at the left points in particular. Even though, I tried 3 sets and most recently a new set.
Image Image