Mix & Match Kokusan & NipponDenso parts?

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

CBWELLS
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Honda-350, SUZUKI GT550 x2, GS850, 92 VMAX,

Mix & Match Kokusan & NipponDenso parts?

Post by CBWELLS »

My '76 GT550 has an OPEN Field winding of the ND brand. I happen to have a good Kokusan brand available (which properly exhibits 4.5 Ohms resistance.....about 1/2 of the original ND spec). So, here's the question: Anybody have any experience with mixing the brands (specifically Kokusan Field with ND Stator). YEAH,...I know I should NEVER, EVER, EVER do such a dastardly thing, but since I have the parts, I'm looking for a first hand experience report. Any info would be welcomed.

Alternately (pardon the pun), if any of you have an extra ND Field winding laying about the you'd be willing to part with, let me know. BTW, my brush assy has a crack (presently secured witha ZIP-TY), so I'm also looking for that part also.

If it makes a difference, I'm located in up-state NY, near the PA border (Binghamton area).
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: Mix & Match Kokusan & NipponDenso parts?

Post by jabcb »

You can not mix & match the GT550 parts.

The brushes are mounted on the stator. The Kokusan & Nippon Denso rotors uses different surfaces (slip rings) for the brush contacts.
So if you mix & match, the brushes will be in the wrong location.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
CBWELLS
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Honda-350, SUZUKI GT550 x2, GS850, 92 VMAX,

Re: Mix & Match Kokusan & NipponDenso parts?

Post by CBWELLS »

Well, Thanks JABCB! That just goes to show what I know doesn't it?!? So based on your comment, I conclude that the extra field assy I have is, in fact an ND brand, since it's built the same as my dead OEM part & fits as a plug & play. Armed with that info, a few tools, & a little creative MFG of a jack screw to pop the field assys from their respective cranks, My Little Suz'i is back together & charging just fine.

Thanks again.
CBWELLS