GT550 - is it under-powered for normal day-to-day riding?

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

blurred
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: YZF600

GT550 - is it under-powered for normal day-to-day riding?

Post by blurred »

I've been searching the site all day and have finally hit a mental wall and admit defeat... I am not able to locate a thread on here already that discusses how these bikes perform on the road.

I just picked up a 74 GT550 that is going to go through a full rebuild. In this rebuild, I would rather know in advance if I should replace the engine with something that has a little more pep to it, or if the engine in it is more than enough for riding around town and on the interstates (70-80mph). I know this thing isn't going to be blazingly fast, but I guess I am just trying to figure out what to expect with it...

Thanks for any comments or directions/links to give me a better understanding about these bikes.
1974 Suzuki GT550 project
Hard-tail setup of engineering genius
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Re: GT550 - is it under-powered for normal day-to-day riding

Post by ConnerVT »

I guess it all depends on what you are expecting.

The GT550 is a 475lb bike that was rated at 50hp (likely an "old" Gross HP value). Comparing it to what today's fuel injected, computer controlled ignition bikes put out, it isn't going to be a road burner. Depending on the weight of the rider (I know I've added at least 1/2 of a passenger since I had my first T500), a GT 550 will get you to a top speed to the 90's (reference: Cycle World January 1973 GT550 Road Test)

What the 2-stroke Suzuki does have is torque at lower RPMs, compared to other 2-strokes. It is very forgiving when giving it some throttle without downshifting first. My T500 (47hp) is powerful enough to pull me along comfortably at 55-65 MPH with throttle to spare, though the older style chassis is one I try to stay off the Interstates when possible.
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

As Conner said.....it depends what you need/expect. There was a time long long ago, (nearly 40 years), when 500 and 550cc bikes were all I had, and it never stopped me doing anything or going anywhere.
I'm lucky enough to still own 2 T500's that I bought in the 70's, and despite that I have been riding litre plus super bikes solidly for over 30 years, my old T500's still surprise me. I can honestly say that I NEVER get off them thinking they were slow or under powered. In fact, when I'm on a 40 year old 500, and out with mates on their 160 bhp modern stuff, they always say how surprised they are at the old stroker's performance, and just how much throttle they have to use to stay with me.....particularly in the twisty bits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Post by Cliff »

She's well suited for day to day riding! She'll sit at 70-75 MPH all day long on the interstate! You'll just have to stop for gas every 100 miles!
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

If you want balls out performance and have a mental (biking) age of less than 20, then you need a modern bike with over a hundred hp.
If you like to enjoy life and are happy with 70-80mph then the 550 may be OK.
First ask yourself some questions;
Do you like getting spanners out regularly and having dirty nails?
Do you understand the difference between a 70s two stroke engine and any modern engine?
Are you willing to spend time keeping a 40+ year old bike running?

There are other questions, but these are some of the main ones.

If the answers to the above are mainly 'no' then don't buy a 550.
A Suzuki GT550 is a 40+ year old design that has little place in todays society of 'want it now', 'thrash it', 'throw it away'.
Only you know what you really need, not what you'd like.

Saying that, I love the GT550. It did what I wanted when they were new, and it does now.
Just takes more looking after is all.
If you are up to it, get it and enjoy, just be prepared to start a long and I think, enjoyable journey, though not necessarily cheap or without adventure plus sometimes tears and tribulations................
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
blurred
On the street

Post by blurred »

Appreciate the comments.

A couple of you mentioned what I am expecting, and I have no expectations on what this thing should perform like. At 30, I have only ridden the "rockets" over the years and grew tired of that scene years ago. I have since decided to move on to something that I can simply cruise around and have fun on. Going balls fast doesn't excite me. The Tail of the Dragon or riding the Cherohala Skyway at sunrise/sunset does excite me. Just to kind of put it into perspective a bit.

Appreciate the fact you guys have given me some sort of expectations to start with.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

I'm not the fastest rider by any means, but it does surprise me just how often I catch up with groups on modern bikes on my 380. Of course, power rangers on the latest sportsbikes often go flying past, but then I pass them when they've stopped at the next cafe / pub ...

The 550 has enough go for fun. The only time you might want a bit more grunt is on a freeway, but then again, holding a steady 75 / 80 on a bike with a traditional sit-up-and-beg riding position is about as fast as you'd want to go anyway ... wind pressure is tiring!
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

:wink: Hi,have mates with GT550's,sit on freeway speeds no problems at all...but if you want real muscle & higher cruising speeds then the GT750 is the way to go :up: Taking care of these old bikes requires time & dedication,not to mention tears & frustration :lol: Love mine to death,a real treat to ride :!: :up:
Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.
blurred
On the street

Post by blurred »

Happy to hear it guys, and seriously appreciate the information... definitely plan to get this thing up and running to see what it's got in it still.

And time/dedication to a project is something I'm not unfamiliar with. It took me about 6 months to build and finish the front bumper on my truck. Going on 5 months for the fender flares I am building at the moment. The interior, about 2 years to get it where it's at.
T350guy
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1977 GT 750

Post by T350guy »

Cliff rode his GT 550 from Toronto area to Tweed about 120-150 miles I think for a Kawasaki Triples Due at my place then in a few hours rode home. Cliff has ridden his GT all over.
I don't have a 380 or 550 but I do ride a 72 Kawasaki H1B all over .It will cruise at 70-75 nicely.
In 2010 some of us rode our Triples to Cedar Michigan and back with only one issue a broken Chinese rear shock.
Sandra and I have been out on the GT 750 and I have just as much fun riding these oldies than I would if I had a ZX14.
My newest bike is a 83 BMW R80RT (new in 83) in 130 thou miles it has been bullet proof.
The joke around here is if I was a Young kid again I would ride as fast as I did when I was young. Times change .
These old bikes can and will give you so much pleasure when riding.
Learn to tinker because you will need to.
Ian
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

JeffG did an Ironbutt on a 73 (I think) GT550. Lots of highway on that trip. The 550 is a great bike. Small enough to be fun and big enough for a passenger if you want.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Post by Cliff »

Thanks Ian! After sitting on that seat for about 160,000 miles, the one thing I'd change is the SEAT!! On a long ride, 10 hours or more a day, I'm glad I have to stop for fuel every 100 miles!
Below is a pic from last year! That's my son's 1987 Toyota MR2 and my bike together at Deals Gap! We've done it twice now, around 3,500 miles round trip in a week! And we're going to do it again this summer!
jeff g
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550 -- 1 running, 4 not, '80 TS185

Post by jeff g »

rngdng wrote:JeffG did an Ironbutt on a 73 (I think) GT550. Lots of highway on that trip. The 550 is a great bike. Small enough to be fun and big enough for a passenger if you want.

Lane
Yep, 73 GT550 is more than enough bike for general purpose use on the highway or back roads. I did 2000+ miles in 4 days, including the Ironbutt. The only issue that I had with the bike was a flat tire, and that could happen to a brand new bike.

Jeff
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

No modern bike will give you the feeling that a vintage 2 stroke does. While speed or power is fun in it's own category. The thrill you get riding a vintage bike is not comparable. Two totally different type of motorcycle riding thrills. By no means, is a GT 550 under powered. By no means, is it powerful or fast. The sound, smell, looks on people's faces and all the new friends you will meet as a result of riding one of these classics. Makes up for speed and power. I love speed in reference to cornering a modern sport bike. I know I won't find that rush on any of these classics. But, without a doubt. I smile more, when I ride a vintage 2 stroke. They are a blast to ride. But, in a totally different sense.
Image Image
blurred
On the street

Post by blurred »

Well, I appreciate the feedback here.

Like I said, I had no expectations for this thing. I cannot wait to get back home to look at it and get it up and running. I know I love seeing an old bike like this rolling around town as I don't see very many of them.

You guys definitely have me chomping at the bit to get to working on it.