Aluminium Water Pump Gear

What you have to offer the two-stroke community

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

oldjapanesebikes wrote: I bought two last August here in Calgary from a regular dealer, and I think the cost last time was something like $46 CDN each, or about $40 USD. I see there is a distributor in the UK selling them right now for £ 28.25 - the stock seems new as it has the bar code stock tag - that's about $42 USD.

If I remember to check, I can ask if they are back in stock here also if anyone is interested. I find it curious that they are not offered in the US.
Update - I checked this morning at one of the Calgary Suzuki dealers, and this part (17522-31031) is still available for order in Canada. The cost would be just under $50 CDN plus a 5% sales tax and any shipping charges.
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
kekems
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: SUZUKI TR 750

Re: Aluminium Water Pump Gear

Post by kekems »

Hi ,
is there any aluminium gear still available or are they all sold?
I would buy one if still possible for my TR project
regards
Marc
Buffalo-guy
To the on ramp

Post by Buffalo-guy »

Marc.
I still have them. I'd almost forgotten about these beauties. PM me, and we'll talk.
Fred
Suzuki GT 750s
Ducati 750 GTs
2007 Duc 1000 GT (the clone)
2002 V Strom 1000 (lives again)
Suzuki RE5s
CBXs (18 cylinders, 72 valves)
Jughead
This IS the real me!!!

Post by Jughead »

Hey Fred I'll be gettin in touch with you before long about one of those gears if you have any left.
Hang me from the Tree of Shame.Damn! I forgot the Rope.
h2okettle
On the main road

Re:

Post by h2okettle »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:
johnakay wrote:....how long do these last .....
Just based on the engine tear downs I've done, I would say the nylon gears are good for a minimum of 30,000 miles - in some cases much more.

When I rebuilt my motor at 84K miles, the original waterpump gear was still working fine.. It did have a few small stress cracks near the center, but I did put in a new one while it was apart..
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

IIRC, a nylon gear is usually specified for noise reduction or, sometimes, for use in an area with marginal/no lubrication.

Sometimes, though, a manufacturer can go a little too far with the noise reduction thing......witness the nylon oil pump drive gear on the 1500 Vulcans up to 1995 or so. This would NOT be a place that I, personally, would EVER dream of using a nylon drive gear. However, Kawasaki's engineers thought differently....until the warranty claims from fried motors started to pile up. Even at that, they went for 7 or 8 years before admitting they might be wrong. Apparently in Japan it's better to lose money than to lose face..... :roll:
And all in an effort to meet various governments noise standards. How dumb is THAT !!! Well I guess the Vulcans with the fried motors certainly met the noise specs..... :lol: :lol:.....and maybe that's what the governments were aiming for in the first place. :cry:
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer