1974 GT750

Photos that don't really fit in the above catagories.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

motohorseman
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

1974 GT750

Post by motohorseman »

Greetings all.

I picked this one up a while back, it was literally in a barn for a couple decades, going to need some work. Brake fluid is gone, tank and carbs will need to be cleaned, ran well when parked, but, well, you know....

I probably paid too much, just had a cash offer of $1300.00, can't decide what to do....

So, I put the burden on you!

Seriously, I value your input because you all seem to be enthusiast. I ride a FJ1200 and have a few too many irons in the fire, but don't need to sell this one.

Thoughts???

What are these going for now?

Parts don't seem to be all that hard to find, making time is though.

I'd really like to cafe it.....

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Last edited by motohorseman on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Ride for one - Ride for all
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Re: 1974 GT750

Post by ConnerVT »

I'm not a water buffalo expert, so I can't give you the financial advice. I'm working on a T500 restore, right now taking a break in the air conditioned house while my tank dries for a POR-15 coating.

I started the restore in January, goal was to get the first ride by July 4. Now it is looking like weekend after next. :ssh:

They all look good from the far away photo. As you get closer, and look underneath the good, shiny parts, you start finding the work (and expense) that lies below. For me, I *really* wanted another T500, so it is a labor of love. You need to decide if you start the project, is it in your heart to finish it? From the photos, it looks like it is a good starting point for somebody to rescue.
motohorseman
Still in the Driveway

Post by motohorseman »

ConnerVT wrote:I'm not a water buffalo expert, so I can't give you the financial advice. I'm working on a T500 restore, right now taking a break in the air conditioned house while my tank dries for a POR-15 coating.

I started the restore in January, goal was to get the first ride by July 4. Now it is looking like weekend after next. :ssh:

They all look good from the far away photo. As you get closer, and look underneath the good, shiny parts, you start finding the work (and expense) that lies below. For me, I *really* wanted another T500, so it is a labor of love. You need to decide if you start the project, is it in your heart to finish it? From the photos, it looks like it is a good starting point for somebody to rescue.
I've started taking my tanks to the local radiator shop. They charge around a hundred bucks to clean and seal the tank, it's worth it to me, and so far it's worked on everything I've had them do. It's some red substance, supposedly resistant to alcohol and additives, might be a option for you down the road. Complex tanks cost a little more, I had one shop do a Hayabusa tank and they said it would be more than the normal rate next time.

Back to the GT750 -

As long as the motor internals are good, I've got no problem with the "easy stuff" such as rebuilding the fuel system and brakes.

Removing the fairing is no big deal, I've got an original headlight, always wanted a water buffalo.

I'd go as far as chambers, mild porting, maybe different carbs, but I'm torn between putting it back to stock or making how I would want it, or just letting it go.

Crank seals always concern me on old two stokes, that runs into some real money, as we all know.

Decisions decisions, the tough ones always seem to offer the highest rewards.....
Steve

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

The 1974 model is fairly unique with lots of one year only parts and bits - and this one looks to be quite complete. As you note, the key thing with these is if it has been sitting for as long as you say, the odds are excellent that it will need to have the seals replaced on the crankshaft if not immediately, then soon after you do get it running. Typically by the time all is said and done, that can easily cost well north of $1000 by itself.

My own view, given its all the important bits are there, that it would be it would be a shame to do anything that was not easily reversible. But of course it is your bike. If I thought you were close enough, I'd consider offering to buy it from you myself ! 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

motohorseman wrote:
ConnerVT wrote:I'm not a water buffalo expert, so I can't give you the financial advice. I'm working on a T500 restore, right now taking a break in the air conditioned house while my tank dries for a POR-15 coating.
I've started taking my tanks to the local radiator shop. They charge around a hundred bucks to clean and seal the tank, it's worth it to me, and so far it's worked on everything I've had them do. It's some red substance, supposedly resistant to alcohol and additives, might be a option for you down the road. Complex tanks cost a little more, I had one shop do a Hayabusa tank and they said it would be more than the normal rate next time.
The POR-15 job looks as it came out pretty well. It does take all day to do it right -- even their written instructions say there are no shortcuts. :lol:

I've been avoiding the radiator shop route (or other, more drastic methods) as the tank has a very good, original Candy Jackal Blue paint job, which I really would like to keep.

Back to the GT750 -- :wink:

Ian is a great source for GT750 info. As he says, if the bike is fairly complete, you shouldn't find yourself looking for too many 'one year only' rare parts.

As far as crankshafts go, I myself went for the rebuild, as you know that ~40 year old seals, if not already shot, will be failing in short time. So between parts, shipping, and having someone rebuild the crankshaft, expect to be pulling a few hundred out of your wallet.
motohorseman
Still in the Driveway

Post by motohorseman »

Good info, I am in denial about the crank seals. I've also found when they get this old, it's time.......

I was not aware the 1974 had unique parts, learned something today, thank you.

The tanks, whenever I take them to the radiator shop, I tape them completely with "green" masking tape, painters tape. The I wrap it again with tape, and again. I like to build up enough to protect it from minor dings and scrapes.

I ask the guys to be careful to not let the chemicals get under the tape, and it's a good shop, they'll be careful.

You nailed it with the POR, you have to follow the directions to the letter and take your time. It works well though, and you can save a couple bucks doing it yourself.

I've seen some shops that have a small pump the hook up to recirculate the solution as it sits, seemed like a good idea.
Steve

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

There is some info on the 1974 'L' model at this link:

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/fieldgu ... T750L.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In some respects, the 'L' combined the best of the older 'J' and 'K' with the newer look of the 'M' that followed it. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
motohorseman
Still in the Driveway

Post by motohorseman »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:There is some info on the 1974 'L' model at this link:

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/fieldgu ... T750L.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In some respects, the 'L' combined the best of the older 'J' and 'K' with the newer look of the 'M' that followed it. 8)
Excellent, thank you!

I talked to the guy that wants to guy it, nice young man who restores them, has a few. I'd like to see him have it over someone who would part it out.
Steve