New Guy, New Bike - '75 GT250

Photos that don't really fit in the above catagories.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

BillyM
On the street

New Guy, New Bike - '75 GT250

Post by BillyM »

Afternoon folks...

I've been without a bike for ~3yrs now (previously cb350) and only recently picked up a '75 GT250, ~2500 miles.

Low-bars, grips, seat, side-stand, and signals are the only non-stock items I have picked up on.

I plan to replace the grips, side-stand, signals, front pads, and tires in short order.

The issues I have seen with the bike include a finicky "F" light between the gauges, flashers not flashing, and suspected crank seal leakage.

I truly enjoy the bike thus-far, but look forward to learning the in's-and-out's of it (which brings me here).

--billyM
[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/williammattison/Automotive/Random/gt250ghettoSig.jpg[/img]
BillyM
On the street

Post by BillyM »

I have gotten to meet and or chat with, online, a few very nice local folks, and I'm hoping between them and this forum, I can learn a few things, acquired a few bits and pieces, and take part in a few meets and such. Did I come to the right place?

...and a few more photos.

--BillyM
[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/williammattison/Automotive/Random/gt250ghettoSig.jpg[/img]
chainsaw
On the main road

Post by chainsaw »

sweeeet looking bike!!! Yep, this is the right place.

welcome.
Dont believe in God ? Eternity is a long time to be wrong !!!!
Buffalo-guy
To the on ramp

Post by Buffalo-guy »

Billy.
That is a beautiful survivor, based on one of Suzuki's most important historical bikes, the '66 T20 Hustler. That bike took the world by storm when it was released. My first bike was a 1968 version, the year they introduced the factory signal lights to their product line, at least here in Canada. That brings me to the subject of your flasher issues. The system is designed to function with all four lights in place (the flasher requires the resistance of two signal bulbs and one dash light to operate correctly). If you install a set of correct signals on the rear of that beauty, both of the problems should go away. After that much down time over the years, I would go through the entire wire harness and make sure that all connections are clean and free of corrosion, and apply a dab of di-electric grease on each to keep them happy and resistance free. If the flasher unit does prove to be failing with age, then any good aftermarket HD flasher from your local car parts store will do the job nicely, and cheaply. NOS could be tough to find, and expensive.
What symptoms is your bike giving you to make you suspicious of your crank seals? I would be tempted to service the carburation and ignition very carefully first, put a few test miles on with everything set right, and hopefully the crank seal issue goes away. If it doesn't, then this is the place to be. There is more expertise available here than at most bike shops combined. You did well to unearth that beauty, and I wish you good luck with it's resurrection. Cheers.
Fred
Suzuki GT 750s
Ducati 750 GTs
2007 Duc 1000 GT (the clone)
2002 V Strom 1000 (lives again)
Suzuki RE5s
CBXs (18 cylinders, 72 valves)
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Welcome Billy thats a beauty of a 250 you have there, not many survive in that shape today unless they are stuck in a museum or become a pampered trailer queen.
There are many knowledgeable persons here on this board very familiar with the 250s to answer any questions you may have.
I'd follow up Freds recommendations and then see what the situation is after on the points you raised.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

My first motorcycle ever a GT185 was the same color as that. I love that old Suzuki gold. Man that looks pristine.
So many Projects - So little time
jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

Yep, you found the right group of folks. Very nice bike.

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
So Long As He Who Waiteth
Worketh Like Hell While He Waiteth
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Welcome!!! Nice bike! It's a beauty. Even if you have to do a cranik job, it'll be worth the money and effort.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
BillyM
On the street

Post by BillyM »

I appreciate the warm welcome and comments on the bike, but I can't say I take any credit for it, as all I did was (over?)pay for it and give it a good home.
Buffalo-guy wrote:...your flasher issues. The system is designed to function with all four lights in place
Excellent! I was hoping that would be the case, but don't know these old bike electronics as well as I would like.

Buffalo-guy wrote:What symptoms is your bike giving you to make you suspicious of your crank seals?
Drinking gearbox oil while running and filling the pipes up (rust inhibitors), and leaking out when set on the left side stand (tranny seal?). I have started a repair thread HERE and look forward to wrenching (with the knowledgeable help on this board).

...but for now, since I don't have miles of riding stories, I'll have to make-do with pictures near-by.

Original paint...

Close-up...

Overall...

Thanks again,
--billyM
chainsaw
On the main road

Post by chainsaw »

I dont know much about these bikes as well but is that a repair weld on your front downtube or is that a factory weld in one of your pictures?

Bike looks great!!! How much have you ridden it?
Dont believe in God ? Eternity is a long time to be wrong !!!!
BillyM
On the street

Post by BillyM »

I don't have any reason to believe it is a repair weld, as most of the other welds on the frame are similarly terrible or "era correct" if you would prefer. I've only put a handfull of miles on the bike (~50) as the original tires worry me, as well as this tendency to sip down the gearbox oil...

Thanks,
--billyM
drewboy
On the street

Post by drewboy »

Hey Billy

Nice to find another GT250 fan. I have the same Candy Gold bike in my Garage. This year I'm riding my blue 74 GT250. Great bikes. I've put thousands of miles on them over the years. I also have a nice stock of GT250 parts and service manuals. Way to go, great pictures.
krwalsh
Around the block

Weld Repair

Post by krwalsh »

Judging by my frame before I fixed up the welds and ground them smooth, that downtube left the factory that way.

Good to see another GT250. Mine was that same gold before I powder coated the frame gray and painted the rest blue.
Kevin R. Walsh '75 Suzuki GT-250 Cafe Racer