a little progress on my refurbish

Photos that don't really fit in the above catagories.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

chainsaw
On the main road

a little progress on my refurbish

Post by chainsaw »

I have a lot of hours into redoing my bike but you really cant see it yet. I am finally done with the front end of it. polished all spokes as best as I can without replacing them, cleaned up the rim nicely, removed and repainted the front disk centers, cleaned the front fender, polished instrument chrome, headlight, fork ears and turn signals. I work slow but it is going to make a big difference when all done. I just hope that I can work out my electrical issue and the shift fork is not bent as it was hard to get into 3rd and above. When I picked it up from eric, he said it shifted fine for him so we will see after I get it back together. I am putting J&R pipes on it so I am sure a bit of carb work will need to be done.

As picked up from eric. note fork condition as compared to now
Image[/img]

current forks:

[/img]Image

Image[/img]
Dont believe in God ? Eternity is a long time to be wrong !!!!
Zook-e
Smokin'

Post by Zook-e »

Starting to look real good. Like how nice the fork legs look. How did you do that?
"If you keep hitting your head against the wall you will eventually put a hole in the wall or your head"

1968 T500 Monoshock, 1972 GT750 Custom, 1973 GT750 Lemans

http://www.sundialmotosports.com
chainsaw
On the main road

Post by chainsaw »

thanks eric. well, I cheated on the forks. I took a fine grit brass wire wheel on my drill and took to it. I brushed it with the roundness of the fork, not up and down the fork but that is what it came out like. I then lightly rubbed it down with nevr-dul and wiped clean. It is never going to be like original but then I dont care due to the fact that they are not the original forks for the bike. I did the same to all the bolts as well. no clearcoat so I am sure I will have to nevr-dul it a time or two each year to keep it looking like that but no big deal.

Eric, while I have you here, I mentioned the shifting issue to you after I test rode the bike at your place. What is your opinion on it? I have adjusted the clutch at the case as the manual ( :oops: , yes your manual I need to return to you) but since it is all apart, I have not ridden it yet to see if that worked. Any suggestions by you?????
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

On forks, I always remove the clearcoat with paint stripper, then buff them with scotchbrite pads cut in strips.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Theres a 3M circular pad (dark brown colour) on a spindle that Auto Zone sell, it creates a look on aluminum very close to the factory finish.... Less elbow grease needed and reasonably priced too...
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Barry S.
To the on ramp

Post by Barry S. »

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:Theres a 3M circular pad (dark brown colour) on a spindle that Auto Zone sell, it creates a look on aluminum very close to the factory finish.... Less elbow grease needed and reasonably priced too...
That's what I used on my PE175, a red scotch-brite flapper wheel on a spindle, paint stripper and then buff around, not up and down, looks great and has a satin finish. I may spray some mag wheel clear on it.
2007 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Zook-e
Smokin'

Post by Zook-e »

Adjusting the clutch should help. The transmission was stiff from sitting as well as the clutch being locked up from sitting. I freed up the clutch and the more I rode the better it shifted. I unfortunatley did not get many miles on it as I would have liked do to the weather before you came and picked it up.
"If you keep hitting your head against the wall you will eventually put a hole in the wall or your head"

chainsaw
On the main road

Post by chainsaw »

cool eric. thanks for the info. I plan on venturing out in small increments when I get it back together. I always do that to a new/older bike. go a couple of miles then go back and chaeck that all is well. it helps me to build confidence in the bikes ability for longer and longer rides.
Zook-e
Smokin'

Post by Zook-e »

chainsaw wrote:I plan on venturing out in small increments when I get it back together. I always do that to a new/older bike. go a couple of miles then go back and chaeck that all is well. it helps me to build confidence in the bikes ability for longer and longer rides.
Same here. Nothing worse than getting exuberant and having a several mile walk home wondering if the bike will be there when you get back. :shock: