Simple GT750 Re-Fresh (In Progress)

Photos that don't really fit in the above catagories.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Desert_75
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75GT750, '79CX500, '08ZX-14

Simple GT750 Re-Fresh (In Progress)

Post by Desert_75 »

Picked this bike up a few months ago, not running, leaking, frame looked like a Cheet-O there was so much rust. It's been a work in progress up to this point and I'm having a set of Jemco pipes made up right now. I need to still sort out the turn signals/brake light situation. I know cutting up a GT750 is not for everyone but alot of the frame had cancer rust (to include the rear subframe. As you can see from the original pic, alot of parts were missing and as you all know, tracking that stuff down is tough.

The stock oil tank was cracked and leaking so I used an automotive catch can (for now anyways). I tackled the usual gripes like the water pump seal, gear indicator switch seals, etc. Paint is GM Charcoal Silver. I love this bike, the power hits hard and that 2-stroke sound is so addicting. I'll update with a new pic when the pipes arrive.

The information on this board is invaluable and I appreciate everyone's posts on here.
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Re: Simple GT750 Re-Fresh (In Progress)

Post by pearljam724 »

That first picture is funny to me. That condition is nearly exactly how mine looked when strapped in the back of my truck when I picked it up. Same missing cover, tank condition etc. Except, mine had a lot more rust. It's ok, to use that as an excuse for doing what you want to the bike, lol !
Image Image
Desert_75
Around the block

Post by Desert_75 »

Yeah I waited for a long time for one of these to pop on my local craigslist. The rust has been an ongoing issue but for now, the bike drives, stops and handles great.

The tank was a challenge, I almost scrapped the thing a few times but luckily it was brazed and lined. Holding gas for now!
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

I drove all the way to Maine from Pa to find the deal I was looking for. Decent to good quality tanks pop up on Ebay quite often. If yours is bad as it may be. I'd be shopping. But, if there isn't leaks from pin holes. It should be refurbish able. POR 15 is the way to go. I see you went with same China piggy back shocks. How do you feel about them ? Myself, I like mine a lot. I was able to improve ride height quite a bit and the bike handles so much better now. Mine sits a tad high. But, when I sit on it the sag is perfect for me. What's the deal with the bottle mounted to the side of your frame ? Here's a vid of my restoration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQNZhzc ... ww&index=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image Image
Desert_75
Around the block

Post by Desert_75 »

The shocks are decent enough for me. They feel good on the freeway, don't sag and I like how I can adjust the height. I used the POR-15 liner on the tank and I have to say I was really impressed by the product. I also POR-15'd the underside, and chassis-cote blacked over that.

The bottle on the side is an automotive catch-can I got off summit racing. I'm using it as the injection oil tank. My old plastic tank had a big crack in the bottom, and I couldn't find any affordable side covers so I'm going with this tank for now. I really like the external sight tube on it, I'm pretty sure I saw this setup on another member's bike here somewhere.... so thanks whoever that was!

I moved all of the electronics up under the seat into a tray I made which also holds the battery. Everything's working good so far!

BTW awesome vid, how could it be bad when it's set to AC/DC haha.