XR11/73

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

garry55
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 hybrids (x2) RGV500

Re: XR11/73

Post by garry55 »

tz375 wrote: and the fact that the barrels are not on the centerline and in a GT the right barrel hangs out more than the left side. If the motor is centralized it may complicate wheel and chain alignment.
I hadn't realised this was a standard feature of the GT - but with my motor centralised in the GK73A frame I have noticed that the drive sprocket is out-of-line, requiring the motor to be moved to the right. I have room to slide the motor across to either side, so I guess final positioning will be determined by chain alignment. And I won't feel that I've done it wrong if thats how Suzuki intended it!
Thanks for that nugget :clap:
Garry

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I know I can stop anytime.
garry55
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by garry55 »

Suzukidave wrote:
garry55 wrote: is that your SRAD / Kettle Dave ?
Yes
I cant see a radiator :lol:
Looks a very neat installation - think I am going to relent and read your build thread - you have the link please?
Garry

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

garry55 wrote:I cant see a radiator :lol:
I doubt that you can do it with the frame you are using, but I always thought this look - having the radiator behind the engine - looked really nice. This was done by a fellow in Norway. I suspect there is a cooling fan buried in there somewhere - but maybe not. The other nice touch was incorporating the oil tank (see the level glass at the back left corner), and the temp and speedo into the fuel tank. Very clean.

Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

garry55 wrote: I cant see a radiator :lol:
Looks a very neat installation - think I am going to relent and read your build thread - you have the link please?
I used a top radiator off a Suzuki TL1000R as it was all i could find to fit the space below the neck and above the pipes . The build thread got lost when the Sundial site was redone several years ago . :cry: Image
the older i get the faster i was
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

It worked in my favor having to center the cylinder block in the frame as this moved the front sprocket to the left .. this and the longer shaft of the GS750 transmission made the line up to the 6" wide rim and 170 tire perfect .
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

garry55 wrote:
tz375 wrote: and the fact that the barrels are not on the centerline and in a GT the right barrel hangs out more than the left side. If the motor is centralized it may complicate wheel and chain alignment.
I hadn't realised this was a standard feature of the GT - but with my motor centralised in the GK73A frame I have noticed that the drive sprocket is out-of-line, requiring the motor to be moved to the right. I have room to slide the motor across to either side, so I guess final positioning will be determined by chain alignment. And I won't feel that I've done it wrong if thats how Suzuki intended it!
Thanks for that nugget :clap:
If you think of the 750 as a GT500 with the third cylinder stuck on the right outside of the primary drive, it makes sense that the right pot is right of center. Of course that makes it more of a challenge to fit that motor into a symmetrical perimeter frame without driveline issues. The fact that the motor in a modern frame is therefore pushed to the left may make it easier to match up to wide wheels without adding shaft extensions or huge sprocket offsets, so maybe it's not all bad. If the sprockets don't line up, just fit a wider wheel. :roll:
garry55
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by garry55 »

I doubt that you can do it with the frame you are using, but I always thought this look - having the radiator behind the engine - looked really nice. This was done by a fellow in Norway. I suspect there is a cooling fan buried in there somewhere - but maybe not. The other nice touch was incorporating the oil tank (see the level glass at the back left corner), and the temp and speedo into the fuel tank. Very clean.
Yes Ian - I do like the clean look of the engine in that bike - on radiator positioning I have 3 trains of thought:-
1 small rad to the front like on Dave's SRAD/GT (the standard GSXR400 rad I have is way too big - grrrrrr!)
2 under-seat with cold-air ducting from the fairing. And possibly a fan (or 2).
3 in a "V" under the motor - like a belly pan. My mate runs this system successfully on his race bike.
Last edited by garry55 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Garry

garry55
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by garry55 »

Suzukidave wrote: I used a top radiator off a Suzuki TL1000R as it was all i could find to fit the space below the neck and above the pipes . The build thread got lost when the Sundial site was redone several years ago . :cry:
Thats an option Dave - thanks for the info. Real shame about the loss of the thread - was looking forward to reading it at work tonight!
Garry

garry55
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by garry55 »

Suzukidave wrote:It worked in my favor having to center the cylinder block in the frame as this moved the front sprocket to the left .. this and the longer shaft of the GS750 transmission made the line up to the 6" wide rim and 170 tire perfect .
It works against me Dave, as the 400 runs a narrow wheel / tyre combo and with the motor centralised in the frame, the drive sprocket actually sits outside the frame !
Looks like a lop-sided motor is the solution.
Garry

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Won't a lopsided engine cause balance problems?
You may have to extend the sprocket outwards so to speak.
Maybe machine the sprocket centre out and extend it with a tube with an outrigger bearing to carry the new sprocket position.
Don't want you to build a bike that will only go in circles mate!
I'm an engineer who sees engineering problems and hopefully, solutions to them!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
garry55
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by garry55 »

As long as it pulls to the right, Alan, it'll be fine for Cadwell :D
Garry

Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Alan H wrote:Won't a lopsided engine cause balance problems?
Maybe machine the sprocket centre out and extend it with a tube with an outrigger bearing to carry the new sprocket position.
I think you read that wrong Alan , his engine has the output sprocket already too far out , Garry says he needs to move the engine to the right to get things to line up but that will have the engine sticking way out the right side of the frame ??
garry55
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by garry55 »

I'm a bit confused here - according to tz375's earlier post, the motor hangs further to the right - or am I reading this wrong? Can anyone confirm where the centre-line of the motor is, relative to the cylinder head / crankcases?
My drive sprocket may just be that far out as I can't accurately mate the frame and motor yet so rely on "resting" the frame on the head. And it will keep sliding off. Once I can fix the motor via the new upper rear mounts, I will get a clearer picture.
And take one for you to peruse...........
Garry

Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

With a stock GT the engine does sit with the cylinder off set to the right , Suzuki balanced the look of the engine with the alt. and points sticking out a equal amount . I was thinking around your post that with the cylinder centered in the new frame the output sprocket sits out side the frame . So my thinking was you would have to move the whole engine off to the right to line up the sprockets .. just a guess would maybe be 1~2" ?
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Suzukidave wrote:
Alan H wrote:Won't a lopsided engine cause balance problems?
I think you read that wrong Alan , his engine has the output sprocket already too far out , Garry says he needs to move the engine to the right to get things to line up but that will have the engine sticking way out the right side of the frame ??
Quite possibly. I could be mixing the bikes up in the thread or looking from the front instead of the back. It's an age thing, I'll just have to paint an arrow on my bike seat so I always face forward when I get on. :wink: .
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.