Alternators

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

andyp666
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gsx 1100 efe, gt550, ts125, 1200 bandit

Alternators

Post by andyp666 »

Hello all I have a GT550 project on the go right now and I was thinking of upgrading the alternator, I have an idea of using a cbr400/600 one and also with the space saving on the left hand side trimming off the crank and loosing a bit of the casing that side too narrowing the engine down also I am going to look at doing similar on the right hand side aswell. Has any one else gone down this route dou you know if the tapers will fit etc?
andyp666
On the street

Re: Alternators

Post by andyp666 »

Heres some snaps from the garage, not too good Im afraid Im no David Bailey...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Sounds like a good idea to me. You will need to check the output curve for the Honda unit to be sure that it generates enough power at the somewhat lower revs on a 550 compared to what it's coming off.

I have a GSXR "inside" out alternator that I plan on using on a GT750 and the taper angle is the same, but it's about a 2mm larger shaft. I'd like to get the shaft nose built up with plasma spray or stellite - the way they build up cams and grind it back to size. The alternative is to try to machine a thin adapter sleeve but it all depends on the size difference.

That should trim the width by a good couple of inches. It should be possible to slim the other side a bit too.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Not sure about the right hand side. That big sticky out bit is the clutch and the bit in front on the crank is all the timing malarkey. Both quite important in their own right.
I'm surprised that you 'need' a narrower motor, there can't be a grounding problem, surely?
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
andyp666
On the street

Post by andyp666 »

Yeah I know where the clutch is I just rebuilt the bottom end, what I was hoping to do is economise on the timing side and see if I can do something clever there and maybe If I can get 20mm off the points housing it would be something and look a dam site slimmer. Thats the problen with these triples they are very wide for a 3 cylinder macine at the crank there are smaller 4's.
I have a 1200 motodd Laverda as my other bike and I just converted that to a kawaski 3 phase alternator and that had the taper going the wrong way alltegether, so what I did with that one was machine out the taper from the Laverda bosch and the the kawa one and re weld in the laverda taper to the kawa rotor.... sod of a job but got there in the end. If you notice you will see on one pic I have made a start at a set of spannies which I am making from 316 stainless from a section of fishing trawler shoot ducting fo if you hear a rind ding ding followed by a strong smell of kippers that'll be me going past lolz.... makes a change from castrol R
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Alan H wrote: I'm surprised that you 'need' a narrower motor, there can't be a grounding problem, surely?
Some of us just have a irresistible urge just to do something different .. not that its better ...just because :roll:
the older i get the faster i was
andyp666
On the street

Post by andyp666 »

Suzukidave wrote:
Alan H wrote: I'm surprised that you 'need' a narrower motor, there can't be a grounding problem, surely?
Some of us just have a irresistible urge just to do something different .. not that its better ...just because :roll:
:up: