I have a basket case gt750 wanna make a TR750 rep

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

cruisingram
Around the block

I have a basket case gt750 wanna make a TR750 rep

Post by cruisingram »

I want to know where to begin frame and tank wise- I have teh complte 73 bike, rather than restore, I would like to make a replica. Does it use a modded frame or a cutom one? I have built frames from scratch, but i would like to know where to get plans and which tank to begin. Going to keep engine stock and go for the look. A little help?
tz375
Moto GP

Re: I have a basket case gt750 wanna make a TR750 rep

Post by tz375 »

A real TR frame is entirely different and made from thin wall chrome moly tubing. Street frames include heavy cast iron lugs and thick wall mild steel tube and is incredibly heavy.

Check out http://pinkpossum.com/TR750replicas/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for ideas. Either late low boy of early frame designs can be replicated without too much pain. SuzukiDave's GT-XR is a good example of a frame modified to look like a late model TR750. I would be surprised if anyone had plans they were offering, but SuzukiDave had his on a blog so I'd contact him as a place to start. I still have a picture of Dave's bike without bodywork and it's one of my favorite GT750/tr pictures.

Tanks are a little more of a challenge though. Denis Curtis at DCR in Canada does a great replica frame and his tank my fit your modified frame. If not, you could make one at home for steel if you take your time. Seats, fairings and so on are al available and in reality almost any fairing would do as long as you paint it the right color.
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Here are pictures of a friends TR750 build showing stock GT750 frame mods http://suzukidave.myphotos.cc/index.php ... Q5MDhkZjVl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the older i get the faster i was
aslsmm
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 73 gt 750 74 gt550

Post by aslsmm »

is there a engine builder that builds tr750 engines from gt750 engines?
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Contact Eric at Sundial Motorsports http://www.sundialmotosports.com/Photos2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

How far do you want to go?

The only company I know of making replica TR750 parts are BDK in the UK. They can sell you most of the sexy TR parts but they are not cheap. http://www.bdkraceeng.co.uk/TR750%20Parts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Transmission is available from NOVA http://www.novaracing.co.uk/suzuki-gt75 ... on-kit.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they also sell a straight cut primary gear set.

Magnesium carbs are not available, but aluminum bodied round slide carbs are and they are probably close enough. You could also use flat slides but that would detract from the replica look.

Oil Tom in the UK also offers a straight cut primary gear which is a copy of the Barton gear set. http://www.mpe07.co.uk/mpeprod2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ignition options are better than they used to be. HPI in Belgium.Electrexworld in England offer a nice self generating ignition.

No one that I know of offers downdraft port conversion commercially to make a GT block into a TR look, but they are not too hard to machine and weld. Porting is available from SCR, Eric, myself, and a few others. Engine rebuilds are offered by a few people too. It's not possible to get TR750 porting in a stock barrel because the castings are different, but you can use a spacer plate under the barrel to get there. The alternative is a lot of welding and machining inside the block to raise the exhaust port roofs.

If you don't mind the spacer plate you can potentially achieve more HP that a TR750 using modern porting techniques.

If you want to have a motor stripped and rebuilt as a full on TR750 motor, I'd recommend a chat with Eric K or myself, depending on where you are located, to talk through objectives, options and budget.
aslsmm
On the main road

Post by aslsmm »

thanks guys. im looking at doing a daily-ish driver i want to ride this college every now and then. so it will be tribute build more than a exact replica.
basically i was thinking 6 spd trans, 75 hp at the wheel (instead of the 50), modern carbs that run pods with out doggin out, modern suspension and a sweet paint job. i sent erik a vice mail and hopefully he gets back to me.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

That's easy. Mine makes a little more than your target on stock carbs with pods and chambers with a mild port job and raised compression.

To meet your target if you have early style slide carbs, use them. Do not go with large carbs or flatslides at that level of tune. You also don't need a spacer plate or squish heads. The intakes do need to be modified and that takes more time than the rest combined. Do not lower the intake floor at all. Everyone does it and it adds very little at the top end and costs more at the bottom end. A 73 barrel can be cleaned up a little on the floor but don't be tempted to go to 74 on dimensions or further at that stage of tune.

Clean up the upper crankcase to flow better and leave the transfers basically alone. At 75 rear wheel HP you can't use much more transfer time or area, so leave them as they are. Raise the exhaust rook and widen the exhaust port and fit a set of JEMCo chambers. I find them to be too loud for riding around the hood, but a curved exhaust port roof helps to take some of that sting out.

For a Tribute, I'd leave the stock frame alone, fit Bandit or early GSXR fork legs in custom triple clamps and GSXR600 swingarm and modified stock wheels/axles and updated brake disk and calipers. You could also just fit GSXR wheels brake disks and calipers for an easier update with a more modern look.

If the chassis budget can be stretched ship the frame to Randy Illg at Framecrafters and have them replace the side and top frame tubes the same way that Suzukidave did and have a new tank made in Aluminum or steel. You could probably modify a YZF600R or R6 or FZR tanks to look the part.

Fit an Accent ignition plus modern regulator/rectifier and seat of your choice. She's a fat girl, so if you had the opportunity you could look at the BDK ignition mount/side cover and that could easily take an Accent ignition. That would take 4-6" off the width.

Choose a fairing and paint Suzuki Blue/white or Heron Texaco Red/white etc and have fun. Biggest cost will probably be shipping the motor back and forth - unless you are close to whoever you choose to build the motor.
aslsmm
On the main road

Post by aslsmm »

got ahold of eric. the ball is rolling. thanks guys. i will do a proper build thread when all the parts get here.
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

aslsmm wrote:got ahold of eric. the ball is rolling. thanks guys. i will do a proper build thread when all the parts get here.
Cool .. this will be fun to watch come together :up: .