1976 Bad Buffalo GT 750 Modern Cafe Racer

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

seviston
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750, GS1100, GS1000S Katana

1976 Bad Buffalo GT 750 Modern Cafe Racer

Post by seviston »

Hey guys,

My 1976 GT 750. Some of you will recall this bike began it's evolution on Sundial years ago with previous owner Tim. Well, it's finally finished and coming out of hiding. I got the bike running last August and have been riding & refining it ever since. About 5000 miles. Big thanks to Eric @ Sundial for building the GT's motor.

A picture of the finished GT was found online by an Editor for Vintage Motorcycles Online. He requested the full story and build up so he could do a feature for July and here it is now:

"One Bad Buffalo"
http://www.vintagemotorcyclesonline.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

tz375
Moto GP

Re: 1976 Bad Buffalo GT 750 Modern Cafe Racer

Post by tz375 »

Why not bring that bad boy down to the Lucas Oils Drag strip at Indy this weekend and enter Super Eliminator?

Kevin "The Hachett" runs in the Modified class and I will try to get mine running to have a go in the Street class.

We should get a whole herd of buffalo down there and make some noise.

http://www.supereliminator.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for rules, schedules, classes, records etc and
http://supereliminator.myfastforum.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the SE forum.

Most of the fast guys so far are H2 Kwakas and it's time to fill the records with Suzukis and Y models. 350 twins have a class that's begging for someone to write some new records on a blank slate.
seviston
On the street

Post by seviston »

I would love to come down but I am headed to AMA at Mid-Ohio. I would have to research what I would have to do to be competitive @ SE. The bike is set up as a street bike but is certainly modified so I am sure it would get slaughtered in the M class as it sits now. Those guys are fast! More research required.
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Nice work......I like the tough look.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
desmocat
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, TS250, B105P, GS250T

Post by desmocat »

seviston wrote:I would love to come down but I am headed to AMA at Mid-Ohio.
Nice bike, really like the clean look and the tail/taillight treatment.

Make sure you come to upper paddock area and look for the Shoemaker Vintage Racing trailer. I will be at Mid-O with a few of my Suzuki strokers.
Ralph Spencer
Spencer Motoworks LLC
Southfield, MI USA
www.spencermotoworks.com
AHRMA #798
seviston
On the street

Post by seviston »

The 2013 Indianapolis Moto GP was a special year for our beloved Suzuki's celebrating 50 years in the US.

My father flew in from CA to ride my GS1100 G Cooley Custom (viperG) while my son rode my Katana 1000S, and I bombed along on my GT 750 Sport Cafe Bad Buffalo. We rode roughly 500 miles for the trip. We watched practice and did the track lap Friday on our three vintage Suzukis. On Saturday we were at the Cycle World Rolling Concourse with 150 other vintage bikes. We had 3 generations riding my Suzuki's for the weekend, Grandfather (66), father (44 me) & son (21).

My classic Katana ready at the show after Rolling.

82 1100G Cooley Custom AKA ViperG that I have had since I was 19. I finished the mods in 1997.... 40,000 miles later... While the Katana gets lot's of love.

Bad Buffalo flexing some Suzuki Smoker muscle in the modified class.

Bad Buffalo getting the once over.

A guy from Suzuki asked us to bring the bikes down to the Suzuki Tent to put in the USA Suzuki 50th anniversary historical time-line for Sunday.

My 1976 GT750 Water Buffalo. As many of you know my GT750 representation "Bad Buffalo" is slightly different from the original 1972 J model on the time-line wall. I have owned both and assure you my current set-up is more fun to ride and just as reliable (more so) than the original. My buddies original, low milage, running RE5 next to my Buffalo. His exact model represented on the Suzuki wall behind the bike with Cycle World cover pictorial.

I love the Cycle World quote on the wall here, as if it were written for Bad Buffalo.
Flywheel
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT185

Post by Flywheel »

Buddy of mine here at work (Suzuki nut into old PEs and DRs) sent me a link to the Suzuki celebration a couple of weeks ago. I noticed the Bad Buffalo right away. Too cool :up:
seviston
On the street

Post by seviston »

Bad Buffalo received a nice acknowledgment and photo lead in from Motorcyclist Magazine for their recent article on the 1972 J model GT750. Somewhere along the way they picked up the photos to promote their story. It is very cool that the photos are outperforming every other post on their page with nearly 10,000 likes and 900 shares in 24 hours. I guess people are digging the retro/modern Buffalo.

https://www.facebook.com/motorcyclistmag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From my 2014 Christmas day ride this year before the cold snap hit the Midwest. Cheers guys!

Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

I was going through my old picture files and happened across some of the original build pictures of this bike :up:
the older i get the faster i was