Change Locking Fuel Cap 77' GT250

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

naga418
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT250

Change Locking Fuel Cap 77' GT250

Post by naga418 »

I started with a pretty rough bike and have put most of my money into rebuilding the motor, new bearings everywhere, and in general making it "new" from a mechanical side first. The tank was painted at least four times and took for ever to get all the paint off of.

Anyway my fliptop locking fuel cap does not seem to latch correctly. The latch seems to hang open sort of and never really latches down. It has a different key than the ignition so one of the two did not come with the bike is my guess. I am wondering if there is solution for a fuel cap that is not $100 for a new locking fuel cap. I am considering sawing everything off and installing either a weld in or bolt in bung with a screw cap.

What have you done?
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Change Locking Fuel Cap 77' GT250

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

naga418 wrote:What have you done?
Its possible it has just been messed with - I take mine apart for re-chroming and rebuild them, and it is possible to put them back together so that they do not latch properly. If the parts are broken, then replacement is your only real option. If you do a search here on this board, you should be able to find this thread which may help. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
naga418
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT250

Re: Change Locking Fuel Cap 77' GT250

Post by naga418 »

I searched both "fuel cap" and "gas cap" and never came up with that post. I will pull it apart and see what I can do. I certainly would rather use the cap I have instead of having to resort to other measures. Actually the chrome on the cap I have is in really nice condition.

Thanks