Advice on building the rear GT500 hub into smaller rim

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Nicholas
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT500, SR500, BMW R80, BMW R100S

Re: Advice on building the rear GT500 hub into smaller rim

Post by Nicholas »

Zunspec4 wrote:Hi Nicholas,

What is that BMW all about, come on fess up.

Cheers Zunspec
:-) The BMW flat twin is an R80 that my mate is converting into a bobber.

A few of us have setup a garage London to work on vintage bikes. We have setup electro plating capabilities and will also be manufacturing bespoke parts from CAD. I am currently looking at RFID for ignition and using other computer technology integrated into vintage parts such as mirrors.
That BMW has a brass plated tank. :-)

We should have a site soon… You will see us in Wheels and Waves if you going. :-)
Last edited by Nicholas on Sun May 12, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas
Around the block

Post by Nicholas »

Some more picks of the massacre, my vision.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

Nicholas, I never stated my dislike for your work. Infact, I'm very impressed with your craftsmanship regarding the rear of the frame. I simply stated modifications aren't to my liking. We are all allowed to voice our opinions. We all have different tastes. It's obvious that there is a big following for café bikes. New and old models. Which I don't see what people like about that style. But, who cares what I like. Lol ! You're doing what you like and I am impressed with your craftsmanship. I'm impressed that you aren't buying mass produced, so called modified parts. You're crafting what you like. I'm positive that no one was trying to gang up on you. Different people sharing, different likes that's all. Keep the updates coming my friend. I for one, like to see what people are doing with these bikes. Regardless of what I like. Thank you, for sharing.
Image Image
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

It takes a bit of a thick skin to post up a custom work .. there will be those that like it and those that dont ... its just the way it is :roll: so have fun and do what you want as its your machine .
the older i get the faster i was
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I wouldn't go as far as to say passionate. I just don't like the pseudo brushed stainless look. I'm not hiding that, but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your workmanship.

Thanks for explaining about the starting basis for that bike. that explains a lot. As to style and aesthetics, we all have a different sense of what looks "right" and what doesn't. And it's your bike so our opinions are just that and are worth what they cost :lol:

I do like the way you made that fender fit with the loop. That's neat.

The seat spin is an interesting approach. On a couple of seats I made from scratch I glassed in similar captive bolts welded to small individual flat strips and that turns out to be enough. I used 3 off 6mm bolts and that turns out to be more than enough to get the job done. Yours should work as well as it needs to, and was maybe a little more work that necessary. Keep that as a workload reduction for your next seat.

And as Suzuki Dave wisely pointed out building a custom bike takes an odd mix of an open mind and thick skin :wink:
Nicholas
Around the block

Post by Nicholas »

No worries, thanks guys! I appreciate your POV. Sorry for getting sensitive about it all. I'll post a complete build journal shortly...I've forgotten about my custom oil lines out of PTFE.
Nicholas
Around the block

Post by Nicholas »

I should have the seat on it the middle of the week...just need to add some brackets and my clocks this weekend...and do the wiring! I started it last week and it sounded amazing! I am in love with my bike!
:D
IMG_1544.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

Hey Nicholas...is that swing arm from another bike or did you make it? Wondering about the frame supports...I have never seen them fabricated that way. Looks like there is sheet metal wrapped around the top portion and welded on...is that right? I guess it allows you to clear the oil tank easier. Would like to see what you came up with on the oil lines. My version using tygon lines and polaris check valves didn't work out...unfortunately.
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
'75 T500 - Cafe Build Underway
'78 Honda CB 750 Super Sport
Nicholas
Around the block

Post by Nicholas »

Hey, yes the supports provide clearance for the oil tank and side panel, they are welded to the sides of the frame as opposed to the under part and this is what keeps them from getting in the way...but I think it also makes the fuel tank hard to fit... I had a bit of trouble finding a suitable tank for my bike when I changed it. The sheet metal I think is used to just neaten up the welding as it is welded underneath, lucky as it still looks good powedercoated.

The oil lines worked, well one of them did and the other didn't....I haven't had much of a chance to test them out and fitted some used ones today only to find one set working and the other didn't. I'll post some pictures soon... I have been working insane hours trying to complete the bike, I just finished the wiring, it took forever as I wasted my time and money on twist type and molex connectors....nothing beats the bullet connectors!

I need to sort out my gear changer as the current one isn't very good.. I'll be posting a question about what works best...might try the titan ones, but just not big on the CNC "look". but I need something that works.

Here is a picture from today, I fitted the seat today and broke my throttle cable so first ride tomorrow! :-D
My bike.jpg