Jaybob's 1975 550 Cafe Build

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Good point Rick. My license late mount is much like his taillight mount and I had to rubber-mount it heavily. At first it vibrated so badly that you couldn't read the tag.....really, ask Jeff. It actually cracked my rear fender!!! I remounted it with rubber inserts, and put a solid aluminum plate behind the tag to damp the vibration.

Lane
Last edited by rngdng on Sun May 03, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

Thanks Rick, Kevin, Richard, and Lane. You guys and others like you are the reason I keep posting. Nothing like ideas tempered with experience.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Jay, that's why we're here!!! Good luck.

Lane

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

I had a little box made for the ignition brain the other day.

Ground plate in the motor.

Uni Filters.

And last pic for an update: Size 2.5 viton tipped float valves. No more leaky leaky.

water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Post by water cooled »

Jason,

Thats a nice, clean installation of the triggers. Do you have the rotor for it...I had a little bit of a tough time getting the cam off. Had to heat it and use a flywheel puller. She screamed a bit and then...gave up the ghost.

Nice metal work on the iggy box holder. Where are you planning on locating it?

Keep those updates coming.
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

Yes I have the rotor but I cannot install it yet. My points cam came off easily, but the replacement keyed spacer that the rotor bolts onto was missing from my kit. :shock: :cry: Marcel is going to fix me up soon on that I hope. I would have had it timed up already if not for the setback. I hope I can get it straightened out soon as the part has to come a long way.

The iggy box has already been welded to the front of the battery box. Since the stock airbox is gone it seemed like a natural place to put it. I tried lots of different options but that is what I ended up with.

Still waiting on parts....but making progress
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

Jason:
You may want to put a bunch of airholes in that iggy holding box and maybe a couple of pieces of antivibration foam between the iggy and the holding box. Semiconductors hate heat AND/OR vibration and I assume that whoever made the iggy box itself has used the box body as a heat sink/radiator of some sort.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

Rick,

Thanks for the tip I was going to pack it in with foam. But the holes are a very good idea.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Yes, that's an excellent point. I imagine that the electronics are potted, so vibration may not be a big issue, but heat dissapation is a must.

Lane

H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

I was going to pack it in with foam
I wouldn't do that, Jason, because the foam would act as a heat insulator. What I would do is glue a strip of foam to the long bottom side of the iggy box to suspend it from the bottom surface of the "container box". Then I'd glue a couple of foam strips on both long sides of the top end of the iggy box.
That way the iggy box would be isolated from the container box vibration-wise but you'd still have plenty of surface area on the iggy box to act as a radiator/heat sink.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

I am going to attack it with the drill today. :wink: I think I need one of those Drill Doctors. I've been using all of my big sizes alot lately.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Forget the little drills jason and go for a hole saw - say 1.5 or 2 inch size.
elbert
On the main road

Post by elbert »

I just used the mounting clips that came with the ignition box to mount it underneath the seat on my T350, still works fine after more than 10000km, it doesn't seem to get very warm either, at least not warm enough to work as a seat heater during winter time... :D
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

Elbert,

No mounting clips with my unit and I don't think I would have clearance with my subframe. But thank you for the input.

Richard.

2" hole saw?? I think the scale of the picture may be misleading since the height from the top to the bottom of the boxed in part is only 1.625"

Anyway here is a picture of what I ended up with. There are holes in the bottom, back, front, and each side. It will be somewhat in the wind also with the location so I am going to bolt it in. I made it with a good 3/16-1/4 extra clearance on all sides to allow room for air and some foam.

Marcel said he has shipped the missing replacement cam to mount the timing rotor so I can't wait for that to get here so I can complete the installation.

jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

I'm stuck waiting on parts right now so I was messing around and thought I'd post these pics for Kevin.

I know I went against what I said but that is the way it goes.