Jaybob's 1975 550 Cafe Build

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

Yes, it was turned up in a lathe. Also I made a sleeve and pressed it down into the plug body for a tight fit around the brass rod so to avoid any wobbles of the rod.
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

Very slick timing tool, Jaybob. I wish I had a lathe.....but then I'd probably only screw things up faster.....and with more "finality". :lol: :lol:
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Its handy haveing one of these :D Image
the older i get the faster i was
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

Yeah yeah Dave. And that one most likely even fits into the center cylinder :roll: and you don't have to rig up a solid mount for the dial.

No respect I tell ya, some guys have no respect :twisted: :lol: :shock:

Just kidding
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

jaybob wrote:Yeah yeah Dave. And that one most likely even fits into the center cylinder :roll: and you don't have to rig up a solid mount for the dial.

No respect I tell ya, some guys have no respect :twisted: :lol: :shock:

Just kidding
Yep , these old sets are hard to find but work the treat on the 750s and extra good on the 550 / 380's with the air scoop. But honestly your setup is great useing whats available to get the job done and making it your self :D
the older i get the faster i was
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

I've thought many times about the old retired mechanics that have these sets just sitting in their tool boxes never to see the light of day again. Or about the widows of the same that give them away to people who have no idea what they are for.....but hey I am covered for any old smoker now. :P

Thanks for the compliment!!
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

Here's my setup I made in the mid 90's while working in a machine shop. I destroyed an old spark plug then bored it out. Then I pressed in a teflon sleeve and sized it. The shank of the indicator is precision and is a snug slip fit in the teflon plug liner. No damaging screws necesary. I just screw in the adapter, then push the indicator in.
In the box you will notice a 1/2" extension for the indicator plunger. This extension has to be on when the air shroud is in place on my 550. I still can do everything without removing the tank.
One thing I would like to mention here for those who may not have thought about it. A true reading is only available on the center cylinder where the indicator is at a true 90 to the piston. Things change in the angled holes. You have 2 things happening here. Because the indicator is angled, it moves slightly away as it moves up. It also is affected by the piston crown because as it moves away it also drops dowm on the crown radius. It will get you close but you should use a timing light when through to fine tune (dial out) the last little bit.

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.