Gt750 race track refugee

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Pete O'Dell
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500X2 GT500 GS750 GS500/4 KAWASAKI A1 GT250

Re: Gt750 race track refugee

Post by Pete O'Dell »

titan performance wrote:I would prefer to fit a nice set of polished spoked rims really, but we have sold all the ones we had, and are struggling to get any more....bugger.

The cast wheels are a bit rough to be honest, I'm not sure if that's how they were supplied but I can't imagine what could have occurred to make them like that after manufacture.

What's the finish like on the ones you have Pete?
Same as yours Paul, shite!!! they came like that and they probably weigh the same as someone living on tesco variety burgers, bin em and put spokes on or best mug some rosey tinted restorer with them who thinks there wonderful!

I did pick up a nice set of unused dymags for one of my Seeleys though at a terribly splendid low price........ that was my bargain for 2012 lol
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

I'm not sure how they got away with retailing a wheel that is finished so poorly......and I thought CMA was a good name?
Hopefully we can get some more of our Asian Akronts......
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Last post in Jan. any updates on this project ?
the older i get the faster i was
Cragdog
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550L, PE250B, RM250N

Post by Cragdog »

Been about a year looks like, anything happening on this one Titan?
If you like it, then you should ride it.

1974 Suzuki GT550
1977 Suzuki PE250
1992 Suzuki RM250
1988 Yamaha YZ250
1970 Honda CB750 K0
titan performance
Expert racer

It has been ages since we posted on this bike. We were well into the build of a 3-1 for it, and having measured, cut, and rolled the various sections, we took the lot to our welder for assembly. Sadly it sat in the back of the workshop giving way to more important and profitable jobs, for months. However, we rescued it a couple of weeks back, and decided to make a concerted effort, as I plan to take it to this year's TT. Abandoned for now, the 3-1 will have to wait, and the Allspeeds can go back on....they do sound nice, so it's no hardship.
I delugged the frame, and we have shifted all the electrics and a little oil tank into the seat hump. We somehow managed to lose the starter solenoid, but a Honda 125 unit that we had seems to work ok. As luck would have it, the 750 wiring is on the generous side, and long enough to move all the bits and bobs without the need to extend anything. We have made a top yoke for it, and Tim has designed an instrument mount. The wiring has been overhauled, and it all works as it should, so once the tank is fully mounted, and a couple of exhaust threads time-serted, it will be a goer.
More to follow......
titan performance
Expert racer

The 750 is moving on.....or is it? All the sundries are fixed into the seat void, the instruments, yoke and bars are mounted, and the right pipe has been repaired where the collar fitted onto the thread on the header. Today we rigged up dummy tanks for petrol and oil, and jumped it into life with a fully charged car battery. It started fairly easily despite large amounts of smoke. We wheeled it outside to avoid choking to death, and let it run a while until it had some temperature in it. The smoke did reduce, but there was still plenty of it when revved...in fact oil was misting out of the centre and right cylinders, and left a deposit on a nearby car. The left pot was running quite clean. We are unsure as to how long it might take to burn away any residue that has collected, and needless to say, are now concerned that we may have seal issues. I drained the gearbox, to find approximately 1400cc of oil instead of 2200, which I feel is also not a good sign. I checked the pump, to find the scribe marks align at shut throttle, and a dot on the arm aligning at full open.....which I guess is all correct. The clutch is also stuck, but that's the least of our worries.......any thoughts from you experienced 750 men would be greatly appreciated.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

If the crank is old, it probably needs new seals. Test it for leakdown. It's a PIA to do but it tells you if the seals are bad right now. No guarantee if they pass today that they won't fail tomorrow though. Remove the SRIS valves to drain the cases.
Last edited by tz375 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Check those center seals with a leak down test to see if its drawing from the transmission . The clutch plates will stick together often if the engine isnt run for a while , get the running bike to a open parking lot and after a few min of running around the plates should free up . Drain the bottom end through the SRIS valves along the lower front of the engine to avoid the spray out the exhaust .
the older i get the faster i was
titan performance
Expert racer

The 750 seems to have taken a back stage position while we have been getting the 500 Alpina prepared for the trip to the TT this year. But it has been quietly creeping along. It is going to be an eleventh hour job though, as we really only have tomorrow evening and Friday to get it finished. We still don't know if it has seal issues, and the body work is still with the painter.......panic ! Other than that, it is largely done....and looking good.
I shall get some pics on here somehow shortly...
titan performance
Expert racer

Despite working on the 750 late into the afternoon of Friday May 30th.....(I was off to the Island early hours of the next day), it didn't make the trip. We got it bolted up and Tim gave it a good run up the road to clear it's throat. The smoke happily subsided, so it would appear that the crank seals are all good, but it developed an electrical fault, and kept blowing the main fuse. With a van to pack, there was just no time left to be delving into the electrics....very disappointing ! Needless to say, Tim found the offending connection while I was away, and it is now running as sweet as the proverbial nut, hoorah !
We shall be taking it to the cafe racer day at the Ace Cafe in 2 weeks by way of consolation. https://www.flickr.com/photos/suzuki_gt ... 337733111/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqbLQjbmBuM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;