Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Suspensionking
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500 Suzuki, AJR Bultaco, Honda NS475

Re: Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Post by Suspensionking »

Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Finally I have worked out how to post pictures on this site thanks Karl and Geoff
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi Eamonn,

That is cool looking machine :up: Blue suits Suzuki's, I think mine should have a re-spray.

Cheers Geoff
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Hi Geoff

Thanks yes Suzuki has to be blue. The gentleman working on the bike in the Paddock is Thierry he rebuilt the bike and was the team Roberts engineer for Mamola and Wayne Rainey he is really good at what he does. He attends all the races with me and runs the bike. He is the reason it is so reliable.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Suspensionking wrote:Hi Geoff

Thanks yes Suzuki has to be blue. The gentleman working on the bike in the Paddock is Thierry he rebuilt the bike and was the team Roberts engineer for Mamola and Wayne Rainey he is really good at what he does. He attends all the races with me and runs the bike. He is the reason it is so reliable.
Hi Eamonn,

I could sure use the skills and experience of Thierry at times :lol: . The failure of my engine (3 times now) makes me wonder how as a 22-23 year old I ran my original Seeley T500 for 17 meetings without a hint of trouble (2 x new set pistons, 3 sets of rings to keep piston clearance near optimum). I can only conclude I've got older and less wise :lol:.

It is a definite advantage to have a buddy helping out in the workshop/pits and although I have had great support from a lot of people I have done almost all the build by myself. We shall have another go next year in the 500 Air Cooled class with the CRMC, the rider (Gary May) would easily clean-up the championship if the engine ran as it should do for the 4 races over the weekend.

Cheers geoff
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Hi Geoff,

I know what you mean and I am a chassis and suspension guy and not really good with engines. When I decided I want to ride a bike again after stopping in 1990, I was not sure what to buy. I was very nervous about having a air cooled 2 stroke, as I had mostly ridden TZs 250/350 and a 750. Until I moved to 4 strokes for the 24 hour races etc. The Bultaco has been a nightmare but now thats running ok from when I started to use Elf race fuel.Before that it was a piston every meeting. The Suzuki worried me as it was even faster and touch wood has been amazing should like your bike back in the day was too.
One thing I should add I started with Castrol 747 as I new it from my TZ days, Thierry changed that to ELF 909 to use with the race fuel I am sure if you have any questions he would be happy to answer. However looking at your bike builds I think you know your stuff.
I am on the look out for a set of Barrels in good condition if you ever hear of any let me know. I am going to see what I can find at the Paris show I believe they have quite a bike section of used spares.

cheers

Eamonn
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hello Eamonn,

I would have loved a go on those TZ's when I was a youngster :mrgreen: The 750 must have been pretty awesome.

Back in the day I ran a fixed position oil pump and Castrol R30, a lot to be said for having fresh oil delivered to the bearings/cylinder, and no sudden loss oil when you shut off the throttle at the end of a straight (the smell was good too :D ). I am not using race fuel but a 50:50 blend of 100LL AvGas:premium unleaded. A747 has not been a factor in my engine failures as far as I can determine but I will check out the specs. for the ELF 909.

I have several sets of barrels, if you were local you could have a pair to work on. I think all of them would need a rebore to +1.00mm though, not many good std. size barrels out there these days. Good luck hunting the auto-jumble stalls at the show

Cheers Geoff
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Hi Geoff,

Yes the TZ 350 and 750 were real fun to ride I still think the best bike big 2 stroke I ever rode was the TZ750, I also had a few outings on a MK8 RG500 but had a big off at the Austrian GP after the gearbox locked up. However I will in 2 weeks go to Mugello with Suter and get a chance to test their 600 2 stroke like the one they ran at the TT this year looking forward to that.

If I do not find some barrels I would be interested in buying a set from you. I do sometimes come to the UK to visit some Fox customers.

With the ELF 2 stroke oil 909 I we went down form 4% to 3% as it is much thicker than 747 and it seems to still do a good job. I would also agree the 747 is a good oil and is most likely not the problem of your engine failures.I used it in all my TZ`s and the RG without problem.

I know you have a show at Stafford every year and Thierry normally goes he said its a great show I want to visit that once.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

[quote="Suspensionking"]Hi Geoff,

Yes the TZ 350 and 750 were real fun to ride I still think the best bike big 2 stroke I ever rode was the TZ750, I also had a few outings on a MK8 RG500 but had a big off at the Austrian GP after the gearbox locked up. However I will in 2 weeks go to Mugello with Suter and get a chance to test their 600 2 stroke like the one they ran at the TT this year looking forward to that.

quote]

Hi Eamonn,

Now you are making us all envious as....anything (thought I should keep it clean :lol: ) If the TZ's & RG500 weren't enough, you have a chance to ride the Suter 8) . I wish I was still up for something like that. I know my rider, Gary May, would give his right arm for the chance. He had a couple of 250cc GP wild cards at the Brit GP in his heyday so loves his 2-strokes.

There have been quite a few barrels on eBay recently but I do have a set if nothing else comes up.

Cheers Geoff
GT-Karl
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750J,GT750A,GT250A,TR

Post by GT-Karl »

Geoff,

at least it's your thread and i'm not intend to take it over, but it's the same theme...., so i hope it's o.k. if i post some pics from the forestep of my project. Maybe of interest, a pic from the engine/gearbox short time before closing it. Yes, the crank have standard dimensions, no stuffers etc. but it's also lightened. I took the same way Suzuki have taken with the 750 cranks, drill two holes in every flywheel from the side and spare round 1,5kg. I tried to prevent bad vibrations....!

Karl

[imgImage][/img]
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Wow, that looks nice and clean :up:

One of my engines uses a std. weight crank, the other will use a lightened version (reduced Dia flywheels, no stuffers). It will be interesting to see how they compare, when I finally get it :roll: .

On both my engines the kickstart shaft has been removed and aluminium plugs turned up to fill the resulting holes on the cases. Saves a bit of weight if you're not using the oil pump.

No problem with thread"hi-jack" I do it all the time myself :lol:

Cheers Geoff
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

wow that engine looks like new :up: :up: nice work
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Geoff, is that your Seeley 750 I was reading about recently? Nice find.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

tz375 wrote:Geoff, is that your Seeley 750 I was reading about recently? Nice find.
Hi tz.

If you mean the Seeley Honda 750 that is featured in the October issue of Classic Bike magazine, yes it is :D . I have posted on the SOHC forums about it.

If you follow the link to my flickr album page there are images that are readable:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zunspec/a ... 1221523016

I also have a letter of authenticity from Colin Seeley himself, nice stuff to add to the bikes history folder.

Cheers Geoff