Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Suspensionking
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500 Suzuki, AJR Bultaco, Honda NS475

Re: Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Post by Suspensionking »

Hi Geoff

Nice results good start to your season.
I have my first race in Spanish champion of Catalunya on 22nd May will have a first ride on the bike 7th May in Verano Italy to check everything out. Have fitted a rear disc and CR Nova gearbox 5 speed and bigger 38mm carbs.
We also fitted the cylinder temperature gauges. Can you tell me what temp you typically see on the Cylinder head gauges when its running well?

I will send pictures after 1st test.

cheers

Eamonn
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hello Eamonn,

I hope you have a good outing on your machine. I would like a NOVA C/R conversion too, or their new 6-speeder :D .

The TTO gauges have been running at 125-135 degrees C on the dyno and 140 - 145 degrees C during the races at Pembrey (air temp was approximately 10 - 12 degrees C). We believe that we will still be good at 180 degrees C. I am running on a 50:50 mix of Shell V-power (unleaded) and 100LL AvGas (@25:1 premix ratio, Castrol A747) with ignition set at 2.9mm BTDC. I think we could run more advance than we do on this fuel mix but it is on the safe side. The proper race engine will run 38mm Mikunis vice the 34mm ones we have been using up to now (current engine has basically a road tune). Using NGK B10EGV plugs.

Good luck and post those photos when you have them :up:

Cheers Geoff
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Hi Geoff, Ran the T500 in Verano Italy the weekend. We had changed a lot form the previous year. We changed the Carbs from 34 to 35.5 mm and also fitted a new electronic ignition, Nova CR 5 speed gearbox, converted the rear disc to a disc. so lots to try in 4 sessions plus the Fox shocks I had recently built.

Bike ran well much stronger in low to mid range power. A little harder to ride only comes on the chamber from 5500rpm. Gearbox is better than the standard unit but 1st gear is a bit too long. We started on Shell V Power fuel pre-mix only at 4%. on the 2nd day tried some ETS race fuel and that made the bike feel even stronger had to go up 2 sizes on the jets with the race fuel but many people claim it reduces engine ware and has a lot of anti-friction features. The Verano track is very tight so difficult to say but I will run the race fuel for the next race in Spain.
I have been trying to get the bike to turn better so made some shocks 10mm longer(340mm) than the standard 330mm that came on the Yamaha TR frame I am using. They did help with the turn in but the extra length gave us some clearance issues. The TR frame is small and the clearance everywhere is on the limit so I will shorten the Fox shocks to 330mm.
I ran the temperature gauge on the cylinder head and we were seeing temperatures of 182 deg C. everything still worked fine at those temperatures.

cheers
Eamonn
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hello Eamonn,

That sounds very encouraging :up: I note your cylinder head temperature, mine wasn't reaching that but it is basically a road tune on the current engine. I should pick up my full race engine in the next couple of weeks so if yours ran fine at 180 C it gives me a good reference.

My next race is with the CRMC at Cadwell Park (4-5 June) where Mike Hawthorne is going to give it a spin. I will still have the current engine fitted as I am keen to see if the adjustments made since Pembrey have helped the low end pick up. Mike is a very experienced engineer/tuner and rider so it will be interesting to get his opinion on the Seeley.

Cheers Geoff
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

]Hi Geoff,

I include some pictures from the test at Verano you can see the Frame is quite tight around the engine. Interestingly and at the same time amazing, was in the garage next to us was the person who first built the Suzuki, the tall Man in the Glasses in one of the pictures. He built the bike in the mid 70`s in France and decided to use the Yamaha Frame to make the bike more compact. He claims the cylinder heads are specials he bought form Crooks at the time they produced these with more cooling fins. Next race is 22nd May Castelloli Spain and the following weekend in Navara Spain, will let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Eamonn
/Users/eamonn/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Previews/2016/05/13/20160513-075048/Ngd83au3QDOasCoO7RZ%UA/IMG_6435.jpg
/Users/eamonn/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Masters/2016/05/13/20160513-075048/IMG_6440.JPG
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Not what we wanted, but hay-ho :( at least Mike sorted the chatter problems we had at Pembrey.

https://youtu.be/zDZd7w0VbUg

Big end seized on left cylinder
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

We were there on Saturday and had a good watch/walk round but never saw the Seeley. Damn!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Here it is Alan, prior to the engine failure:

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Very nice.
Sorry we couldn't admire it or commiserate.
I'll try harder next time!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

I purchased a photo from Rusty at Sport-Pics. Here is rider Mike Hawthorn going over the Mountain at Cadwell

Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Great action shot :up:
the older i get the faster i was
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Sorry the pictures I tried to upload have not appeared seems its not possible for me to post pictures of the bike?
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Suspensionking wrote:Sorry the pictures I tried to upload have not appeared seems its not possible for me to post pictures of the bike?
Hello Eamonn,

The boards photo storing capacity has been used up for some time. You will need to load the photos to a hosting site like flickr or photobucket and paste the URL in between the Img insertion blocks

Cheers Geoff
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

[/img]IMG_6428.jpg
[/img]
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Suspensionking wrote:[/img]IMG_6428.jpg
[/img]
Hello Eamonn,

You will need to paste the complete URL starting with http:// etc.

Much easier to show than to explain :)

Cheers Geoff