Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Re: Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Basic oil tank. I will still do a bit of adjusting to the fit and have to add the oil delivery pipe and a breather. Not too bad considering I have to learn (or re-learn :D ) a few skills.

Now, what's next on the "to do" list.

Cheers Geoff
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

It's happening at a pace today, the seat unit arrived.

I shall dream well tonight.

Cheers Geoff
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

Great job with the oil tank, will looks awesome once it is all welded up. Thanks for the info on the fairing supports, I'm going to try using the same approach.. The seat fits the frame perfect....nice lines with the tank. You are make good progress in a short period.
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
'75 T500 - Cafe Build Underway
'78 Honda CB 750 Super Sport
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Evening all,

I got the front disc back from being machined down to 5mm today. Apparently it took them nearly 3 1/2 hours to do the job and they requested that they never be brought another one :D . The cost was "ouch" and I have since been fiddling with the Caliper, mounting plate juxtaposition to get the Hub in the centre of the forks with the disc running through the centre line of the caliper slot. A task that had me sweating because every thing is so tight. The disc has to miss the fork leg and at the same time not foul the spokes whilst getting the centre line of the hub in the centre of the forks. I had to re-mount the caliper on the other side of the mounting plate and space the disc out by 6mm (using temporary washers) but I think I got there (fingers crossed). Next step is getting appropriate spacers made up and lacing a WM2 alloy rim to the hub and hope the caliper will clear the spokes. This build is getting complicated, sheesh.

I took the oil tank along to a welder tonight, very handily he lives 3 minutes away. Should be ready tomorrow.

Cheers Geoff
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

Doing custom disk front ends can be a real PITA to get right. Where did you get the seat from?
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hello Chris,

I got the seat from a company called Carbon-Moto in the UK:

http://caferacerseats.co.uk/

The seat they sent me was very good value for money. I would have gone for the Carbon Fibre version but they are not allowed, or you have to paint them so they are not noticeable, for the class I intend to race in.

Cheers Geoff
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Getting the front end to look quite motorcycley with the addition of the Throttle, Brake & Clutch. The Brake and Clutch are both Magura items in-line with the classic requirement.

A nice man in a van brought me a set of Mikuni VM 38-9 carbs today:

I also got the seat firmly bolted on to the frame, I might hoist myself up onto bike tomorrow and get the controls adjusted to my liking (If you catch me making Brrm-Brrm noises I shall deny everything :lol: )

Cheers Geoff
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Geoff.....did you have to use the old disk? Could you have not just used a more modern light weight one?
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi TP,

I did not seem to have much of a choice on the front disc with the GT500 hub. I could not use a modern floating type (not allowed). A new GT500 disc was 6.9mm thick and I needed it taken down to 5mm anyway. I was unable to source a 5mm thick disc with the needed dish to the disc carrier, and I will still need a 6mm spacer under it to get the fit/clearances I need.

If you know of a "new" 5mm alternative I would be very happy to here from you. I could source an alternative hub I suppose and start down that route.

Cheers Geoff
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

[quote="Zunspec4"
If you know of a "new" 5mm alternative I would be very happy to here from you. I could source an alternative hub I suppose and start down that route.

[/quote] http://www.pinkpossum.com/GT750/phattra ... brakes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the older i get the faster i was
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Thanks Suzuki-D,

That was an informative link. I am not totally certain but those Honda discs although having an almost identical "Dish", which is one of my necessary requirements, are of the "fully floating" type. Unfortunately you are not allowed these type of discs in the classic class I intend to race in. Is there any way they could be converted to solid\fixed ?.

Cheers Geoff
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

The GS1000 has front disks that might work for you. I have a used one that I might use on my T500 cafe that is 5mm thick. The min manufacture required thickness stamped on it is 4.5mm. The dish is the same as the GT500. The difference is that it is 275mm in diameter which is smaller than the GT500, but not by too much. It is a lot lighter and the bolt pattern is the same. You might want to check it out.
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

By the way...38MM Mikuni's??? Wow those are big. I forsee a lot of carb tuning in your future.
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the pointer to the GS1000 discs. I'll check them out. I would need to remake the caliper carrier as it was made to suit the 296mm GT500 disc so I would need to bring the caliper nearer the centre of rotation to ensure the pads were fully sweeping the disc. No problem though, If I can make one I can make another.

The race engine I am getting was ported to use 38mm Mikuni's and the suppliers of the carbs (Allan's) had jetting/slide specs etc. already on hand for a TR500 type engine so the carbs were supplied with an alternative set-up to totally bog standard. It seems I shall probably have to visit a Dyno centre rather than track test to get them in the centre of the ball park and go from there. I'll post any Dyno results for information, I just hope they will show something in the 70 bhp + region or I know I'll be disappointed.

Cheers Geoff

PS: I placed an empty engine in the frame today to give a bit of a vision of how it will all look and to maintain the inspiration.

titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

I have never actually used an alternative disk, just experimented in the work shop. I had heard some of the later suzuki floating disks bolted right on, and also an early Honda CBR600 is a good match. I don't know if the Honda one is a floater or not though. I'm sure it's been mentioned on the forum somewhere before.

I'll be very interested in your power stats when you get to that point......70 bhp is loads from one of these. I know it's very achievable, and more if you have the money, it's just hard to imagine having that amount of power from a rattley old 500. I would dearly love to see how that feels from a 500. Is the crank lightened? or is it simply heads, porting and carbs?

The barrells on my cafe bike are ported, although mildly, just a couple of mms or so, but while the bike revs for England, it is bloody hopeless around the town.....I have a set of ported barrells which I have had for 30 years, that came to me with a load of spares....I have never used them, but the ports are vast. I really should nail them on to see how they perform, although I only have the 32s, which probably wouldn't flow sufficient fuel I guess.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !