Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Re: Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Post by Suzukidave »

That looks so good with the calipers , i bet a bit of metal polish on your adapters and they would look sweet :up:
the older i get the faster i was
Zook-e
Smokin'

Post by Zook-e »

Okay, Zunspec, stop it before my head explodes. :clap: :shock: :D
"If you keep hitting your head against the wall you will eventually put a hole in the wall or your head"

1968 T500 Monoshock, 1972 GT750 Custom, 1973 GT750 Lemans

http://www.sundialmotosports.com
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Suzukidave wrote:Some of the early Suzuki GS750's came with a spoke rim with a disk on the rear http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Suzuki-GS- ... 93&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oops .. i didnt even see that he had cut the center out :shock:
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi Guys,

I think I could have arranged it so the caliper was a tad nearer the fork leg, but it's not too far out. I only plan on having a single disc up front, the other caliper is for the rear. Should still be plenty of braking power however.

Next up is making a set of footpegs + brake lever. I have been shown how it is done by mounting them on the s/arm spindle but I will need a funny type bolt threaded both sides of the bit you put the spanner on (easier if I had a picture). Not an uncommon solution so shouldn't be too hard to achieve by my friendly bloke with the lathe :D .

Zook - If it's worth doing it's worth doing well, as long as the funds hold out anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Geoff
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

No worries Dave. I thought you might just be messing with me, but didn't want to hijack the thread. That ebay picture might give you a sense for how hard it is to find one of those GS rear disk hubs :lol:.

Anyway, back to this killer race bike. I thought you were going with a twin disk up front. I like the single disk front and rear. Should be lighter and still have more than enough braking with the weight of the overall bike....good call.
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
'75 T500 - Cafe Build Underway
'78 Honda CB 750 Super Sport
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

I had good fun in the workshop today fabricating the front fairing mount/lockstops. That triangular plate was drafted out on the CAD program, all dimensions carefully plotted. The result when transferred to the metal was 10mm too tall. Luckily I just cut the excess 10mm off and was able to re-drill the top hole. So much for my CAD skills :lol: . The bits sticking out were silver soldered as I don't have enough heat to do brazing.

A good clean-up and a lick of paint + rubber ends on the lock-stop bar and it should be good to go.

The steering damper is a NHK 6-way adjustable which I got from Dennis Trollop Racing. As his shop is 10 minutes away from where I work I by-passed eBay and got is direct along with the fork mount bracket.
DTR http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Classic-T ... 3a7a8c19bc

The frame bracket came from the Karting world and is termed a "Mushroom Clamp" It might have been made for the Seeley, CNC machined and does the job a treat.

I have also bought a race engine from the chap who "did" run Ragged Edge Racing, purveyor of a comprehensive range of race glass-fibre wear. A least he did until the workshop next door caught fire and gutted his entire operation as well :cry: . I must get a fire extinguisher.

Cheers for now.

Geoff
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

This is shaping up to be a piece of kit.....
I'm looking forward to seeing how this all comes together. Will the bike be road legal, or strictly track only?
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

High Titan-P,

I hope it will make the track next year with the CRMC, but, if time has really blunted my riding ability to the point of embarrassment I plan to return to the original intention and make it a road special.

Having fun putting it together at the moment, I just wish my engineering skills could match that of the professionals :P

Cheers Geoff (returns to making fairing brackets)
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Don't be so modest....you are doing a cracking job. It will be a thing of beauty for sure.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Well I continue to trash my Pianist soft hands in the workshop. I spent this weekend making the fairing side mounts getting through about £10 worth of silver solder in the process. Not a stellar job but functional and after painting should be acceptable.

These photos are of the embryonic oil tank as I intend to run with the pump when racing.

The neat filler cap came from a car racing emporium who work out of a building at the Castle Coombe circuit (which is about 10 miles from my place). Advice and tips on bending the folds in the alloy plate are most welcome. Easy if you have access to one of those sheet bending machines but I was thinking along the lines of a piece of angle iron and a big hammer :D

Cheers Geoff
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

If your oil tank is going to be aluminum , anneal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxhdFsrzSmY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the sheet first and it will bend much easier .
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Thanks SD,

I did do the annealing bit, the hard part is allowing for the bend radius and getting the bend in the right place. As the tank will be situated in the seat hump my handiwork will be out of sight and only the bling filler cap will be on display :D :D :D

Cheers Geoff
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Maybe make a form out of wood and bend the softened aluminum over it .. if the form fits so should the tank ?
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

How did you go about making up the side fairing mounts? I need to do the same for my bike to mount the fairing and could use a little advice. I was thinking they would have to be welded, but you soldered...think that should be enough to hold?
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
'75 T500 - Cafe Build Underway
'78 Honda CB 750 Super Sport
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi Chris

The fairing mounts have been stuck together using "Silver Solder" which is just about on par with brazing. The down side is the cost, £9.50 for a 50cm x 2mm dia rod.

However it quite easy to do and all you kneed is a blow lamp (I have a gas canister type, available from most hardware/plumbing stores). As always the material needs to be clean and grease free so clean up the contact areas with emery paper or a dremel with a sanding band. You will need the appropriate Flux to go with the silver solder, I got mine off eBay. Fix the 2 pieces you want to join firmly, I used wire to make sure they wouldn't move and get as close a fit as possible as SS is best when it does not have to bridge a gap. Heat to almost a dull cherry red, dip your SS rod in the flux and apply to the joint. If all is going well the SS will melt and simply flow around the joint. There you have it, I'll bet YouTube has a video of the process somewhere.

To make the mounts I used mild steel. The side mount clamps were first cut from a piece of pipe, cut in half through the Dia. filed as necessary so that there was a gap between the ends when fitted around the frame tube. I then placed them together, held them in a vice and wired a length of 6mm ID pipe\ferrule across the gapped join. Heated and SS, did the same for the other side, hacksawed through the gap producing two halves's. Wired a short length of 12mm pipe to one side and SS that. All fairly crude but effective.

SD - Thanks for tip, as it happens I have used a wooden former to make the first bends. I do not have the intended seat at the moment but I don't think space will be an issue. The volume of the tank will be approximately 1 ltr which should be enough for the average race length, if not for a whole meeting. Cosmetics are relatively unimportant as long as it does not leak, of course a 2nd or 3rd effort would be much better but I only need one. I hope to deliver a decently fitting product to the welder and I can clean up any overlaps with a file after it has all been fused together. Photos will be posted for judgement when it is finished :D .

Cheers Geoff