GT750 Drag Bike

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

tz375
Moto GP

Re: GT750 Drag Bike

Post by tz375 »

It was indeed a great weekend. The Phat Trakka was finally flying after a frustrating weekend of low RPM bogging. What made the real difference was either the drum of fuel that Kevin passed down combined with a lower shift point and better launch and new short intake bells.

That 550 is basically bone stock and the rider is just working out the bugs on a new build. He has a list of changes to make and things to check before he starts down that never ending pathway to being broke. (AKA chasing HP) and we can expect to see that bike continue to improve.

The H2 guys continue to be hospitable and friendly and Kevin is doing an amazing job with his nitrous GT750. He is going where no man has gone before in search of new civilizations - I mean records. I expect that we will see him in the 8s before too long.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Thanks tz, I'll be keeping an interested eye on that one.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

He has ordered an Accent ignition for the 550 from Uwe and when it comes in, we'll look at a few things. I am tempted to get some billet squish band heads machined for it, if he has the budget. All it needs are 3 slabs of aluminum. A CNC lathe would be nice to have to try different shapes :shock:
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Kevin,

what was your best run of the weekend and how does that compare to best run on gas?
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Post by water cooled »

R,
Best run was a 9.250 and best speed was 143.22 mph

Last year at this event, I ran a best of 9.862 at 133.69 mph

I think we had a tailwind this time, which helped...

I know you were making some gains as well. I believe a set of light weight wheelie bars and an air clutch so you can leave off a button will be like night and day. I started with a 5.0 slick and NO wheelie bars. Couldn't tip the bike over if I tried....but the wheelie bars sure made me feel a lot better about the whole thing.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

9.2 @ 143. You were motoring.
Does that make it the fastest and quickest GT750 ever (regardless of fuel and so on) in a quarter mile?

My last run of the weekend I broke out. I was struggling all weekend to get up to speed - no practice since last year, but I was feeling ambitious and dialed in a 14.0 which is faster than I have run, so it was a safe number. Last year I dialed in 14.20 and ran a 14.22, so I was thinking I could do this.

In that elimination run, we ran 12.82 at 111.06, so that was game over, but a reminder that a mildly modified GT750 can still be fast and I am still to slow off the line.
D&D CHASSIS
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 dragbike

Post by D&D CHASSIS »

tz375 wrote:He has ordered an Accent ignition for the 550 from Uwe and when it comes in, we'll look at a few things. I am tempted to get some billet squish band heads machined for it, if he has the budget. All it needs are 3 slabs of aluminum. A CNC lathe would be nice to have to try different shapes :shock:
Ignition and good heads will probably wake that thing up!
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by water cooled »

R, back in the day, a tuned up stock GT750 w experienced drag racer would clock in at 14.1 sec. you just blew that away by nearly 1.3 seconds. That's a huge gain! Your pass Sunday might be one of the quickest stock GT passes ever! Well done!

Go over to the Super Eliminator forum and click on the link for photos from the Amsnow shootout. There's a couple good ones of you and Cindy.
D&D CHASSIS
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 dragbike

Post by D&D CHASSIS »

Richard, I'd like to make a pass on your bike........any chance of coming back up here for a Saturday tnt?
busa1300
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RGV RGV RGV RGV ......

Post by busa1300 »

It was great seeing you guys there, and keeping the two stroke dream alive. It's always a pleasure to hear what you guys have been up to. :up:
I would love to have a stroker there next year...
But sometime next spring I will need to be buying or building a new house... I got married in July and I need a bigger house now (with a walkout basement for completed bikes :mrgreen: )
My RGV / VJ21 would be the cheapest route to a bike I could abuse on the strip. Although it's only a 250, I might be able to get 55hp (65-70 with a VJ22) out at the tire with a bit of effort.

I have some pics of Martin 131... But my computer died last month, and I don't have any way to shrink them down to put on the site.... :cry:
MY TWO STROKE ADDICTION
TZR250SP 3XV2...
RS 250 Cup bike
RGV VJ21 L
RGV VJ22 FL
RGV VJ23 T
RZ 350
GT 750 J....sold.....
SX-R 800
KD 80
JR 50
RZV 500 R
https://www.youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869/videos
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by water cooled »

Busa, it would be great to have a 250 cc there. Vic Force raced smaller cc 2-strokes much of his career and won more Championships then most others put together.
dgoodsy
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '72 gt750

Post by dgoodsy »

I just finished reading this entire thread from start to finish over the last week or so, a few pages at a time. Great thread and many fantastic accomplishments and stories! congrats on building the bike and making the pass(es) to capture the quickest/fastest gt750, incredible!

I look forward to more progress with the bike and rider, keep it up!
'72 GT750
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by water cooled »

Wow...! Im impressed.... that was years worth of posts. I've had the time of my life working on (and racing) this GT750 and interacting with so many guys on this site. Some have become personal friends.... including Dave Derrick, the guy that got me interested in building my bike back in 2007 when I attended a race at Norwalk OH as a spectator. Dave and I are are working on the next iteration of the bike and it will look more like a Pro Stock bike from the IDBA (late 80s).

It will be the first GT-750 in the 8's. Thanks for being interested in this thread... I really didn't think anyone was still looking at it.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Sounds exciting Kevin. Will that be your 2017 bike presumably starting shakedown runs in March or April when the snow goes for the season.

In 2016 you added Nitrous. What is in store for 2017 on the motor side? Bigger carbs? Lectron 44s? and even larger ports?

I may have to swap motors on mine to get some more out of the ET and a few more MPH. That might be easier than stripping this motor to drop in a closer set of gears that the J-K-L trans that is in there now. First I need to stop the Dunstall shaking so I can get it together instead of having parts all over the shop.

Crazy though for the week... With the Pro Street class I take it that any modifications are allowable - including nitrous as long as it has street tires and no wheelie bar. Might be a fun class for the parts off the old bike not used on the new one.. :shock: 8) :lol:

Congrats on a great season.
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by water cooled »

Thanks Richard! I have a few tuning tweaks to make to the chassis and motor but nothing major. The real question is: what are you doing to your bike for 2017. April is just around the corner!