GT750 Drag Bike

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

tz375
Moto GP

Re: GT750 Drag Bike

Post by tz375 »

First thing I have to do is to work out why I had an icicle hanging off the radiator - I forgot to drain it in time. If there's little damage, I'll wipe the dust off and try to get some practice.

The RD frame is mainly welded up and I have a plug for the tank cover. Next I need to make up brackets so I can fit the wheelies bars that came off the Prior/Fortino Suzuki. And make up coil brackets and seat mounts and tannk shell mounts and then I can fabricate the tank shell and side covers and so on.

I also need to strip and rebuild the forks again and lengthen them. They are super short and the neck is slightly raked, so the front end is way low - like and old school funny car. I'm thinking of doing the chassis shakedown runs with a more or less stock 350 air cooled top end and then move up to a more heavily modified top end when the boss gets used to it. I'll fit a CO2 shifter but I need to work out a kill box arrangement. If I go with a fixed timing Motoplat or Hitachi race ignition I can probably use the kill system off the Fortino bike, but I go for an Ignitech I can use any push button and program the dead time from a laptop.

After that I'll look at mine again. But I need to work out how to get into the 12s consistently before I bother with more changes.

Can't wait to see what you and Dave have dreamed up for this season. BTW I found some amazing power coat colors at prismaticpowders.com I can just see your bike in one or more of those chrome base coat metallics.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

water cooled wrote:............ Dave and I are are working on the next iteration of the bike and it will look more like a Pro Stock bike from the IDBA (late 80s).

Tell me more. This sounds exciting. When do we get to see it?
busa1300
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RGV RGV RGV RGV ......

Post by busa1300 »

Yes. Just a peek even... :up:
MY TWO STROKE ADDICTION
TZR250SP 3XV2...
RS 250 Cup bike
RGV VJ21 L
RGV VJ22 FL
RGV VJ23 T
RZ 350
GT 750 J....sold.....
SX-R 800
KD 80
JR 50
RZV 500 R
https://www.youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869/videos
Jimroid
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT500 T500 GT750

Post by Jimroid »

I think Kevin ran a 9.43@ 140.5 in Valdosta today.
busa1300
To the on ramp

Post by busa1300 »

AMSNOW at US131 is coming up.....you taking the GT to play with the other strokers?
MY TWO STROKE ADDICTION
TZR250SP 3XV2...
RS 250 Cup bike
RGV VJ21 L
RGV VJ22 FL
RGV VJ23 T
RZ 350
GT 750 J....sold.....
SX-R 800
KD 80
JR 50
RZV 500 R
D&D CHASSIS
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 dragbike

Post by D&D CHASSIS »

I'd be willing to bet a margarita that he'll be there.......
How about you? Be nice to see some new faces on the track....
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

For sure, new faces are always welcome. Come and have some fun.

My bike is totally pissed off with me. Turns out third gear had eaten itself and that explains the missed shifts on that gear. The dogs are too large. I was going to drop in an early GS750 trans that had been modified, but the dog design on third is teh same, so I managed to come up with a combo of GS and GSX parts that loos like it might work.

Just for laughs I thought I would check ignition timing just in case and it had shifted all over the map. It's a DYNA set up and there is no way the pickups can move around and yet all three cylinders were wrong. So that's been fixed I think. I did want to change to a different ignition but that would have required an almost complete re-wiring and so late in the season, that didn't seem to make any sense, so that's on teh shelf for now.

Let's hope it fires up and runs OK.

We could use a few more stock or lightly modified 2 stroke twins and triples though. No need to be all race prepped and no lockwire required. Just come and have some fun.
busa1300
To the on ramp

Post by busa1300 »

I'm hoping to be up there to watch....Yea I know, why don't I run one of my strokers..... :?:
I really have no good excuse other than the fact I have spent all summer buying/selling/moving from one house/shop to another... :roll:
And this Labor day weekend is the first in months I've had a chance to look at my projects.

What is the weekend race schedule? I can't find much online about it
MY TWO STROKE ADDICTION
TZR250SP 3XV2...
RS 250 Cup bike
RGV VJ21 L
RGV VJ22 FL
RGV VJ23 T
RZ 350
GT 750 J....sold.....
SX-R 800
KD 80
JR 50
RZV 500 R
Jimroid
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT500 T500 GT750

Post by Jimroid »

Sept. 22/24.http://www.redlinemotorsports.net/SE_2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Friday Test n Tune, Saturday qualifying and Sunday Eliminations - usually a very short day for me.... :oops:
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Post by water cooled »

Randy,
Just thinking ahead and knowing you have a pretty fine stable of bikes, which one would you pick to race in Super Eliminator next year...? We are going to promote an entry stock class. Would you be willing to meet some of us for a test session ahead of one of the events to get the feel back...?
busa1300
To the on ramp

Post by busa1300 »

Hmmmmmm.....?
Well....they are all roadrace based bikes, so getting off the line would be the challenge there.
My VJ22 SP would be my pick except for the fact is has a close ratio trans, and first gear is pretty tuff to take off from even when street riding.
Between my VJ23 and Aprilia RS, I think the Aprilia would be the best.....just keeping the front down, while not bogging either will be the trick.
If not until spring...May/June....I could have my VJ21 running, and that would be my pick. As I could beat that bike senselessly without much concern
Although that bike probably won't look as pretty as the others.

I did talk to Flannery about building up an engine and TR750 style pipes, but he wouldn't be able to even start on it until Feb he said. :cry:
So it would be a 250 V-twin powered bike regardless which one I thought would be the best....the RZ350 is going to the basement
Pretty sure my leathers still fit from 15+ years ago....

Not sure if an Aprilia RS250 Cup could be considered stock though?
It's really designed more for curves than straights....but I do think it would scream..... :mrgreen:
.....and blow out the cobwebs from sitting for so many years....

What kind of time frame are you thinking?
Would I have to hack into the wiring for a kill tether....? :cry: :cry:

MY TWO STROKE ADDICTION
TZR250SP 3XV2...
RS 250 Cup bike
RGV VJ21 L
RGV VJ22 FL
RGV VJ23 T
RZ 350
GT 750 J....sold.....
SX-R 800
KD 80
JR 50
RZV 500 R
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Post by water cooled »

Randy, there will be time. The SE Midwest will be later in the year... those are all nice bikes. The 250 is really cool but, do I see an early
80s Kat in the background...? There is some discussion about opening SE Midwest to include some period 4-strokes that compliment the 2-stroke and I think the Kat fits that category. It's a beautiful bike. Would you consider that one too?

Yes, every bike needs a tether kill.
busa1300
To the on ramp

Post by busa1300 »

I've had the Kat since late 1986....and in those early years it did take constant abuse...
But now it's a 99% original survivor, with a rattly clutch, a few cobwebs, and Seafoam in the tank.

As far as 4 strokes to run at the track, that fit within what time period I believe you are looking for...

My 1979 Honda CBX....1170 big bore, with GSXR suspension....airshifter and tether installed since 1996
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/sh ... ostcount=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Or my 1978 Suzuki GS1000.... Left for Dead project...which could probably still use a better clutch, a more oldskool look
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/sh ... count=2%22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

But running a 4 stroke seems like the wrong way to go in a class designed around 2 strokes....it would be just another bike?
I will put some effort into getting my GT750 spare engine split up in the next few months just to see if there is anything left worth saving.
I'd really want oldskool 2 stroke power at the track... now that you helped me with the connection on getting engine up to power :mrgreen:
MY TWO STROKE ADDICTION
TZR250SP 3XV2...
RS 250 Cup bike
RGV VJ21 L
RGV VJ22 FL
RGV VJ23 T
RZ 350
GT 750 J....sold.....
SX-R 800
KD 80
JR 50
RZV 500 R
busa1300
To the on ramp

Post by busa1300 »

Do you guys with the drag racing organization have connections with people in the VJMC?
If a VJMC bike show/bike run could be done from one of the tracks you race at, you could expose guys who love older bikes to racing them.
And the guys who race, could bring some vintage non race bikes to add to the show.... Add a swap meet for drag parts mixed with vintage parts....
Sounds like a win/win for all.....?
MY TWO STROKE ADDICTION
TZR250SP 3XV2...
RS 250 Cup bike
RGV VJ21 L
RGV VJ22 FL
RGV VJ23 T
RZ 350
GT 750 J....sold.....
SX-R 800
KD 80
JR 50