Custom GT500 project (Drøn's random question thread)

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Re: Custom GT500 project (Drøn's random question thread)

Post by titan performance »

You got it....
easypeasy lemon squeezy !
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

Dron,

Remove the six small bolts holding on the pressure plate and discs.

Then flatten the tab washer surrounding the clutch nut

You need to hold the clutch basket in place while breaking the nut loose - the cheap way to do this is to stuff a shop rag between the primary gears. If you have access to a clutch basket tool like this, it makes it easier:

Although you can also make your own clutch tool by welding a couple of spare steel clutch plates together and then welding a "V" shaped bit of steel to the plates (so that the open end of the V fits around the hub center and you can still access the nut).

Then use a breaker bar or better still an air gun to get the clutch nut loose.

Jim
drøn
On the main road

Post by drøn »

long time, no posts.
as you might have guessed this project is officially on the back burner. life in general is a bit overwhelming right now with trying to keep a small kid alive and do a masters in architecture at the same time. i've had to focus on much simpler projects that I knew I could complete within a reasonable time and budget. (bicycles, I'll post a few pics later on)
on to the GT.
this winter I sent it away in anger to my uncle's garage far away from home. and he was kind enough to change the shift shaft for me.
I then went to pick it up two days ago. fitted both expansion chambers and persuated it violently to start. about 15kms into the ride home something stuck. I thought I had seized a piston, but apparently one of the charge coils had nocked itself off and jammed the fly wheel. proper gutted!
anyway, it's back at uncle's and my dad and him will look into it while I try to do my school and dad work.

since the last update i have changed the regulater and rectifier for an electronic integrated unit, changed the flasher relay to solid state as well and removed the faulty battery for a condensator. everything seemed to be working more or less. now I'll see if a single charge coil delivers enough juice to keep the lights on.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Many of us on this forum are smiling as we read your post. Having enough energy for a busy life like yours is a distant memory.

The charging coils are still available from Suzuki in the US. You might consider getting one even if you don't have the time to install it now.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
locobuilderbri
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: A100.T250j

Post by locobuilderbri »

Re clutch holding tool
Jason Smith of mytools make a suberb one for theT/GT500 Which also fits T/GT250
He can be contacted at :- mytools1@hotmail.co.uk
Costs about £20 here in the UK
He also makes a tool for X7 250
Available on ebay at moment. Tried to down load to put on message board but it wont do it!
Maybe someone more computer savvy can post it?
Regards Bri e
drøn
On the main road

Post by drøn »

choosing a battery.
as the bike is kick start only I tried to use a battery eliminator. (what is that? a condensator? capacitor?) well the flasher relay don't like it. it wants the nice steady current of a battery. everything else works. so I figured I might as well fit a small battery for the sake of it.
I'm looking a two different options with different technology. both are very small and light, but with very low capacity

one is a lithion ion type with 1.8Ah
the other at about half the price is a sealed acid lead one with only 0.8Ah

both can be mounted in any angle, which is also important to me to free some space within the frame.
both are very small and light and both are maintenance free.

any thoughts?
I'm leaning towards the cheaper one. will I need the extra Ah?
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

Modern batteries require better voltage control than the stock T500/GT500 voltage regulator can provide.
This includes lithium, AGM, Gel, & sealed batteries.

The stock voltage regulator limits maximum voltage to around 16V.
Modern batteries require a maximum voltage no greater than around 14.7V.

Did you upgrade to a rectifier/regulator?

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by Madbuffalo »

drøn wrote:long time, no posts.
as you might have guessed this project is officially on the back burner. life in general is a bit overwhelming right now with trying to keep a small kid alive and do a masters in architecture at the same time. i've had to focus on much simpler projects that I knew I could complete within a reasonable time and budget.
A Master of Architecture is about as hard as it gets but you will be done soon and it's well worth the effort. :up: Thinking back 3 years when I was averaging 80 hrs a week between work and school I don't know how I did it. It's probably hard for you to imagine now but there will a come a time when you miss that short moment in your life; partly because of the freedom to design projects without budget as the major (only) guiding principle, but more importantly for the friendships made. Let the bike project slow down for a little while, we understand, and will still be here when you get back. :)

Josh
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
drøn
On the main road

Post by drøn »

jabcb wrote:Modern batteries require better voltage control than the stock T500/GT500 voltage regulator can provide.
This includes lithium, AGM, Gel, & sealed batteries.

The stock voltage regulator limits maximum voltage to around 16V.
Modern batteries require a maximum voltage no greater than around 14.7V.

Did you upgrade to a rectifier/regulator?
Yes I did upgrade to an integrated solid state unit.
drøn
On the main road

Post by drøn »

Madbuffalo wrote:
drøn wrote:long time, no posts.
as you might have guessed this project is officially on the back burner. life in general is a bit overwhelming right now with trying to keep a small kid alive and do a masters in architecture at the same time. i've had to focus on much simpler projects that I knew I could complete within a reasonable time and budget.
A Master of Architecture is about as hard as it gets but you will be done soon and it's well worth the effort. :up: Thinking back 3 years when I was averaging 80 hrs a week between work and school I don't know how I did it. It's probably hard for you to imagine now but there will a come a time when you miss that short moment in your life; partly because of the freedom to design projects without budget as the major (only) guiding principle, but more importantly for the friendships made. Let the bike project slow down for a little while, we understand, and will still be here when you get back. :)

Josh
I really should try to make some real world friends I think. :wth: :)
bike project is slowed down, but I feel that I need it to be running at least. it's my only bike so it's not too good for the conscience to have it standing unusable.
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

drøn wrote:Yes I did upgrade to an integrated solid state unit.
Great. Then you can use a modern battery.

Lithium batteries are quite small but have two drawbacks. They are expensive. They can NOT be recharged if you discharge them completely. (A forum member ruined a new battery doing this.)

A GT500 has PEI ignition and a 12V 7Ah battery.
A GT250 has points ignition and a 12V 5Ah battery.
A 76 TS400 has PEI ignition, 6V 30W headlight, and a 6V 4Ah battery.

Don't know if a 12V 1.8Ah battery is big enough for the lights to work properly.
Might want to play it save and get 12V 4Ah battery. (or a little less save and get a 12V 3Ah battery)

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE