Suzuki Dragbike

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Herman T
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 dragbike

Suzuki Dragbike

Post by Herman T »

Hi Guys, This is my first post on this message board. I won a kettle dragbike on ebay last week which I'm sure some of you saw and seeing as how this is my first Suzuki triple, figured this site would be great to join for information and resources and new friends. The motor on this bike is completely stock although I am told that the carbs may be from a 72 or 73. The bike is a 1974. It looks like it will be a lot of fun. It's currently about 3000 miles away from me but hopefully I will have it in my garage soon.

Last edited by Herman T on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Suzuki Dragbike

Post by tz375 »

Welcome Herman. Will it be delivered in time for you to race at Martin MI in May? I saw that on ebay. The carbs do look like 73 K but teh barrels could be 74 like the tank. Looks like recesses for the WATER COOLED stickers.

Kevin (Watercooled) is our resident GT750 Drag racer and can probably tell you anything you need to know about racing these fool things.
Herman T
On the main road

Post by Herman T »

I'm not sure if it will be ready for the first Martin race. I'm going to try. Kevin (watercooled) "The Hatchet" is a good friend of mine and has already filled me in with lots of excellent information. We have been talking about getting a dragbike for me for a couple of years now and it has finally happened. I didn't think it would be a Suzuki, mainly due to availability but it is and I am very happy with what I got.

There's a chance that there could be 4 or 5 Suzuki's racing in Super Eliminator this year. I'm hoping to see Kevin get into the 9's for the first time and myself, I will be happy getting down the track. :) 11's will be fine with me this year.
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

I am sure Kevin has told you the first thing to go will be the bodgered together 3 into 1 pipe :wth:
the older i get the faster i was
Herman T
On the main road

Post by Herman T »

Yes, I have heard that a lot but for now, it will stay. I'm just going to get the bike running as it was built without mods to see what it will do. There is an extra set of expansion chambers that come with the bike. I will either use them or sell them if they aren't what I want.
Jughead
This IS the real me!!!

Post by Jughead »

Herman Welcome to the Board.Keep me in mind for that 3 into 1 if you part with it.I sure would like to try to Piss the Neighbor off with that. :up:
Hang me from the Tree of Shame.Damn! I forgot the Rope.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

That pipe has a huge volume. Most interesting.
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Post by water cooled »

Welcome to the Sundial Board Gary. Great looking bike you got there! (Then again, Im partial). What I found most interesting about the 3-1 is how far back the belly section is. Its way back there. Mine was right under the rear of the motor. Cant wait to hear that beast roar. Keep posting pics. We love them! 8) 8)
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Kevin, Does that bike run in the same sub class as yours? I noticed that the footpegs are close to the original location and it uses a slightly modified stock engine cradle. Or is it classified as modified? Not that it makes a huge difference.

If it hasn't run for a while it may need crank seals and while the top end is off, it may as well get a set of closer gears and some nice large ports and bigger carbs and a decent ignition and...... Wow. It's really easy to spend other people's money ... :wink:
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

It does look like the last owner was doing something to the motor as the cooling system is empty and there are no plugs or head bolts ?
the older i get the faster i was
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Post by water cooled »

Richard,

I think its a close one and the S/E committee might be persuaded either way. Gary's bike would run in Modified or Altered subclass (if the old AMA rules/guidelines apply)... To run in "Modified" one of the requirements was that the swing arm must use the stock pivot. I cant really tell if his back-half was welded to the cradle or if it uses a swing arm pivot. Gary might be able to argue that the bike could run "Modified" since he meets just about all the other criteria. Modified requires a stock engine cradle but allows for slight modification.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

That's how it looked to me - as if a PO had decided to push the rules to the edge - which is all fair in love and drag racing after all.

Creative adaptation as they say.

Let's hope it didn't sit with the top off for too long or else the rods will have extra oil retention pockets (aka rust).

Lots of potential.
Herman T
On the main road

Post by Herman T »

I'm really looking forward to hearing how the bike sounds with that pipe on it. I'm sure your neighbor would be thrilled to hear you ride around with it on your bike jughead. :lol: First though, I'm going to do the same with my neighbor, the one who comes outside whenever I start my H2 and waves her hand in front of her nose like she can't breath.

The seller told me that the bike was run late last year and he turned the motor over regularly over the winter. He took the heads off to take pics of the cylinders and he also said he had intended on painting the heads. I'm curious to see the extra set of chambers that the seller is giving me. I'm wondering if they are as radical as the 3 into 1 pipe is. I think I will send him an email and see if he can take a picture of them. Here's another pic of the bike that the seller sent me a few days ago.

Last edited by Herman T on Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
650hardtail
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1972 kawasaki h2 750 1972 kawasaki s2 350

Post by 650hardtail »

welcome gary..
Herman T
On the main road

Post by Herman T »

Hi Paul, Thanks for the welcome. Good to see you on here. My new bike has your kind of frame on it. :)

I emailed the seller and he replied and said the set of chambers that he is going to give me are off of a banshee quad. He is going to send me a picture of them. Would I have any use for these pipes with this bike?