Suzuki Dragbike

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Herman T
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 dragbike

Re: Suzuki Dragbike

Post by Herman T »

If it's good enough for your dragbike, it's definitely good enough for mine. I found some of the same tachs for even less money. I'm going to get one.
Herman T
On the main road

Post by Herman T »

I got this one....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111295467665?ss ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remembering Daves comment about having the rpm range at the top for ease of viewing, I got this one because the 6 through 8 thousand rpm points are at the top of the tach. The other tachs I was looking at, 7000 rpm was way on the left side of the tach and I'm figuring 7000 will be near the top range with the exhaust that I have at the moment.

I have a water temperature gauge on the bike that I probably don't need. Maybe I could replace that with the tach seeing as how there is already a mount set for the temp gauge.

I had also mentioned in another thread the GoPro cameras. I got a GoPro Hero 2 last night so I hope it's a good one. So now when I make my first run down the track, there will be video from the bike of anything crazy that happens. It should be interesting. :)
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Post by water cooled »

any luck with the front wheel you spotted on ebay. Are your forks and triple clamp stock GT? If so, then stock axle spacers will work and will position the wheel in the center of the forks.
Herman T
On the main road

Post by Herman T »

Forks and triple clamp are stock, just shortened. I will have to remove one of the rotors and then install the wheel.
Herman T
On the main road

Post by Herman T »

I haven't posted anything about my dragbike in quite some time. I've made the commitment that I either get it down the track this year or it's history. I definitely don't want to sell it so I guess I better get my butt in gear and get the bike completed.

The main thing that needs to be done is getting a caliper to fit on the front wheel so I can have a front brake. The rest that needs to be done is easy stuff. There's another post on the board about a 3 into 1 for a 550. Rather than post on that thread as my bike isn't a 550, here's a youtube video of my bike running with it's custom 3 into 1 on it. Great way to get the neighbors a bit upset. Hopefully this year I can have a video of the bike going down the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaM7D9n-VyM
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

I believe Kevin posted about the first race in July .. can you get it together by then :up:
the older i get the faster i was
Herman T
On the main road

Post by Herman T »

Suzukidave wrote:I believe Kevin posted about the first race in July .. can you get it together by then :up:
I'm not sure if I can have it ready for the July race but am hoping to at least have it ready for the race in September. I also would like to go to some nearby tracks when they have test and tune available.
D&D CHASSIS
Around the block

Post by D&D CHASSIS »

Any progress lately? We got about 6 weeks until Amsnow. ....
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Send me the caliper and I will rebuild it for you. Do you still need a stock front wheel and do you have a tire to spoon on a wheel?

I can build a wheel or see what I have in the stash but I don't have spare front tires - maybe pick up a Shinko 712 and use that.
Herman T
On the main road

Post by Herman T »

Sorry it took me awhile to reply. I just got home internet again this evening for the first time in 3 months. I got a new job the middle of July which pays quite a bit more than the previous one but one disadvantage of making that move is that I don't get any vacation the rest of this year. The only thing I can hope for is to get the bike ready and at least do some test n tunes at my local track and shoot for next year for a Super Eliminator event. At least I have weekends and holidays off now. :D
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

That's all good news - now send me that caliper to rebuild, so we can see what's up with that brake
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Turns out that caliper had been rebuilt already with new stainless piston and new seals. Nice score.

All you have to do now is lift the bike up in the air to swap out the front wheel and you will be close to running. Might need to get a new front brake hose. I get most of mine from an ebay seller in Niagra. He custom makes them and prices are very reasonable. You can get them in different colors, but I usually get black.
Herman T
On the main road

Post by Herman T »

The one thing that has been holding me back getting my dragbike completed for quite awhile now, mainly due to money issues and also the work facility that I don't have to work on my bike is the front wheel. The bike currently has a Yamaha front wheel on it and my problem with that has been that the Suzuki caliper won't mount on that wheels rotor. Richard (TZ375) contacted me a few weeks ago and asked what the ideal setup would be in order to get the front wheel set up so I can move forward and get the bike to the track this year. I replied and said that an original front wheel and rotor would do the trick. Richard said that he had one and would send it to me. When I got the package and opened it I was stunned to see this beautiful front wheel that he sent. Absolutely amazing!! Thank You so much Richard!! Now we can see about getting to the track this year. It sure looks like it's going to happen now. :) :up:

In case anyone notices, I know that the rotor is on backwards. It was mounted that way for shipping purposes.
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

Glad to see you are again making progress! Know you were down in the dumps awhile ago, thinking you never were going to get there.

We still need to get together some time for a lunch meet. Weather is finally starting to warm up. :up:
Herman T
On the main road

Post by Herman T »

ConnerVT wrote:We still need to get together some time for a lunch meet. Weather is finally starting to warm up. :up:
We should be able to make that happen this year. I look forward to it. :)