my next custom- GT185 cafe racer

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

sbaugz
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, S32-2, GT185

Re: my next custom- GT185 cafe racer

Post by sbaugz »

To clarify, I don’t have any issues with the side stand clearance. It’s the foot peg bracket that has the clearance issue. Maybe that wasn’t conveyed properly above.

I received the new foot peg bracket that I ordered from eBay, today. That solved the clearance issue with the foot pegs. Mine must have been bent.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

We are likely thinking about a different type of clearance. On our GT380 cafe build, the stock side stand worked fine but stuck out so much that it adversely affected cornering clearance.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

jabcb wrote:We are likely thinking about a different type of clearance. On our GT380 cafe build, the stock side stand worked fine but stuck out so much that it adversely affected cornering clearance.

Yep, different problem.
Grey_Ghost
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by Grey_Ghost »

sbaugz wrote:received my higgspeed chambers this week and got them mounted.
Definitely running into some fitment issues. The peg holder that bolts to the frame sits up tight against the chambers, so i wonder if they are bent? I picked up a spare for $20 shipped and I am waiting for that to arrive. Will try that to see if it works instead.
Other problem I ran into was if I used OEM exhaust gaskets, the rear chamber mounts don't match up with the rear frame holes. They are about 3/8" off. If I try to mount them without using gaskets, then they fit fine. Are higgspeed chambers designed to use OEM Gaskets or some silicone instead?
Sbaugz,

Not sure of the difference between your GT185 and a T500 in the frame/fitment department, but we just put those exact GP-style chambers on my son's T500 with stock gaskets in the exhaust ports and the pipes fit perfectly. The only thing I am aware of regarding silicone on those systems is to apply a smear between the header pipe and the exhaust flange. It did not appear the Higgspeed flanges would seal without a gasket on our bike.

BTW...Bike is looking very nice! Can't wait to see the final product!
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

got some pics from my upholstery lady. She shipped it today, so I can't wait for it to arrive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Wow, that look's a nice piece of kit :up:

Cheers Geoff
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Yeah good stitching! Looks like quite a bit of skill went into that seat.
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Post by Evans Ward »

Nice looking seat! Make sure to post a pic with it mounted.
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

a small update. The seat turned out fantastic and looks great with with the lines of the seat. I mounted a nice flush-mount billet LED taillight from Radiantz,
It only sticks out about 1/8".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

sportston wrote:Yeah good stitching! Looks like quite a bit of skill went into that seat.

My upholstery lady is top-notch. its a very long wait, but the quality is second to none. She is fairly reasonable in pricing too.
This is around the 8th or 9th seat that she has done for me.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

here are a few more pics of the parts waiting for assembly. I just heard from my powder coat guy and the frame and other parts will supposedly be done this weekend. Next week I will start the assembly while I am stuck at home on quarantine.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

one more pic for tonight. Shows the seat and the tank together.
Haven't decided on a color yet. The hubs are grey with gloss black spokes and matte bronze wheels. Everything else is a grey color including frame, etc.
I am kicking around a couple ideas including black tank and seat with metal flake powder top coat. The other idea was a deep cranberry red candy powder. Final idea was the same grey for a very monotone look. I will probably assemble the entire bike and decide at that time.

I specifically chose to have a metal seat pan made so I could powder coat the tank and seat. this will save a ton of money over paint- plus its more durable.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

will update more next week- hopefully
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

long needed update on the bike.
After what seemed like forever, I got the wheels back and the tires are mounted up. The rims are powder coated a matte bronze/black, the spokes are semi gloss black and the nipples are chrome.

Everything is ready to go, and the bike starts and runs perfectly. Just waiting on the seat, tank, headlight bucket and front fender to get back from powder coat.
The bike literally started up on the second kick after a complete rebuild.

I also messed around with the front brakes forever. I couldn't seem to get the last little bit of air bubbles out. After literally running about a quart of brake fluid thru the lines, I feel like I got everything all bled. The lever tightened up nicely.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

here is a run video from the first start.
Could not figure out how to directly post the video here, so a youtube link is provided below:

https://youtu.be/xMJ9B-pttaE