gt350 ramair project

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Re: gt350 ramair project

Post by dollydog »

she lives :D the world's first proper suzuki gt350 is a runner :D might have only been 30 seconds or so, but it went on both pots before it went blurrrr and stopped. it's either running out of fuel or running out of spark - got a brand new genuine sgp throttle and kill switch on it that i had to keep flicking on and off til it worked. i'm wondering if it's that? plugs look ok, if a bit oily, so i'll back the oil feed off just a tad. b7 plugs in it and 0.5mm copper head gaskets. can't see any leaks around the head gaskets, but there is a very slight weep at the base gaskets, which is odd. also the right pot seems to be running hotter than the left. didn't expect it to be perfect from the off, so it's try this, that and the other til it's perfect :D yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeha!
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by dollydog »

i wasn't satisfied with the way it was running, so out the engine came again :( completely stripped it on the bench and the first thing was the left hand crankcase [where the crank wheels go] was half full of mixture. there was petrol in the gearbox oil i drained out, which led to one conclusion. the left middle oil seal had collapsed. you can waggle it up and down easily and it's definitely not sealing anything. the outside face is fine, but the inside feels like putty. i've had these seals disintegrate once before, last time i ended up with flakes of rubber everywhere and the 2 middle seals completely collapsed in the middle and basically fallen to bits. these are genuine sgp seals, not repro's. that was about 5 years ago and never had a problem since. i took 2 new seals out of their sgp bags and dropped them in some new unleaded petrol [in a container], put the lid on and left them a while. picked the first one up and the inside ring was so soggy the spring came out of it. i couldn't get it to fit back in until the centre ring had hardened off again somewhat. oddly enough, the other seal was ok. did suzuki's suppliers make a bad batch of seals? anyway, crank off to sep again and change the seals. btw, the crank was a completely refurbished one - all new seals and bearings, big ends etc. but that's how i bought it, so no chance of finding out who built it in the first place. hey ho, these things are sent to try us. another thing, all the other seals were fine, just that one. what a ball ache :(
cheers, dd.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by dollydog »

forget all the negativity of the last post, it's sorted :D
pinched another crank out of a spare engine and rebuilt this one. result? runs ok on both pots. fires up first kick every time and once she's warmed up and the choke is off she will sit there happily ticking over :D running very rich i reckon, but alsorts will need to be adjusted and/or changed before she's perfect. atm, if i hold my hand at the back of the silencer[s] and blip the throttle, it gets sprayed with unburnt mixture, so i think that's the first thing that needs addressing. but she runs, she lives :) full sized suzuki gt350 :lol: :lol: :lol:
cheers, dd.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by dollydog »

not done a lot to her, apart from playing with carb adjustments and fitting these old spannys i had lying around. she now sounds glorious, fires up first kick and ticks over, albeit a bit erratically :D oh yes, fitted a set of gt550 yokes and forks, a proper gt front mudguard and a new chrome headlamp. nearly there, just a couple of bits and bobs to do. excuse the haziness of the photo, i'd just had her running and the shed was still smokey. and excuse the state of the shed, unfortunately i have to work in what i've got :D
cheers, dd.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by dollydog »

finished. complete with new standard airbox rubber - my worst nightmare fitting that :D
cheers, dd.