My Bike

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Post by water cooled »

Tim,

That came out really nice. 8) Wish I had you talent. Very nice work...great body work and paint job too.
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

x..............
Last edited by Ogri on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Tim,

If the Sled carbs came off a reed motor, remember that they are probably jetted rich at low to mid throttle settings and of course the mains will be a little large for summer riding.

Reed motors usually have less low speed reversion and have to be jetted slightly richer to run right. That typically translates into a Q-8 type needle jet and you will probably need to drop down to say Q-2.

Plus the float needle Dave mentioned already.

Stock OEM carbs will work, but the response will always be a little sluggish. I think Lane told me he switched from stock BS40 to VM34 and was pleased with the improvement.

Kevin (watercooled) has 36's I think on his drag bike, so there's another point of reference.
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by water cooled »

Tim,

I started out with modified VM 36's and moved to VM-38 snowmobile carbs last October. First change was switching the float valve to a 3.5. Then tried a Q-0, Q-2 and settled on a Q-6 NJ with a 310 main.

If you have access to Gordon Jennings handbook, there is a great section in there with practical advise on how to select your jets and test them that will certainly get you very close to where you need to be.

Kevin
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

x..............
skids
Around the block

Post by skids »

The tank does add a subtle elegance to the lines of the bike.

What are those forks off of?
Tim Skidmore
1977 Suzuki GT500B - Day to day runner
1976 Suzuki GT500A - Cafe project
1978 Yamaha DT250 - Beater
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

x.............
Last edited by Ogri on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buffalo-guy
To the on ramp

Post by Buffalo-guy »

On the subject of carbs, unless you are planning reed blocks and aggressive porting, I would think that Lanes choice of 34mm units would be the better all round choice. the bigger ones would only be comfortable at the higher end of the spectrum, where you don't spend much time with a street bike. To put it in perspective, look at the power that a stock H2 Kaw generates with 30mm units. Its all in getting the jetting right, and finding a good balance. I suspect 34's could easily supply flow for a good 100 horses, a pretty wild ride in my books. IMHO (to quote Rick). Cheers, and good luck with your very cool bike.
Fred
Suzuki GT 750s
Ducati 750 GTs
2007 Duc 1000 GT (the clone)
2002 V Strom 1000 (lives again)
Suzuki RE5s
CBXs (18 cylinders, 72 valves)
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

x.............
Last edited by Ogri on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by water cooled »

Tim,

That's the bible...I'm sure you found the section on Basic Carbueration...I have read it over and over...along with all the other chapters.

I think that will help a lot. I sleep with a copy under the pillow in case I wake up in the middle of the night with a question...I have a copy in the bathroom and one in my top desk drawer.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

water cooled wrote:Tim,

That's the bible...I'm sure you found the section on Basic Carbueration...I have read it over and over...along with all the other chapters.

I think that will help a lot. I sleep with a copy under the pillow in case I wake up in the middle of the night with a question...I have a copy in the bathroom and one in my top desk drawer.

There are some that disagree. Just remember that many of the ideas in these 35 YO "tuning" books were long-ago proven wrong. The section on carb operation should be fine.

I know that my Buffalo will redline 4th gear easily with the 34s with standard gearing. Unless you're going to increase the final drive ratio a bunch, you can't use much more power anyway.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by water cooled »

Hi Lane,

I think it would be a great idea and benefit a lot of those on the forum if we started a thread specifically about two stroke tuners like Gordon Jennings where we can discuss the solidly based fundamentals as well as the defunked ideas. I, for one would be very interested in reading and learning from a thread like that. I'm sure there are a half dozen tuner handbooks beside Jennings that could be listed and many of the experienced folks here could weigh in on them (unless it becomes too controversial).

Jennings made me think a lot more about what is going on dynamically. I was disappointed that more was not devoted to the Topic of "Timing" but overall, that particular handbook seems a good blend between analytical and practical advice. I know it helped me move up a bit on the learning curve.

I think an area on the forum dedicated to this would be a great resource to many of us.
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

x..........
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Tim, good to see that the Might Buffalo is getting new PWKs.

As for Jennings, much of the debunking comes from guys back in the day that didn't agree with him or from other self proclaimed experts who have failed to scientifically prove anything.

That said, it has to be remembered that Jennings wrote that stuff a long time ago and there have been a few contributions since then - especially Dr Gordon Blair of Queen's University Dublin. Most of those have built on the knowledge that Jennings laid down and have added to it.

Even my other favorite author AG Bell is now a little out of date in some areas, but they are good books to read and learn from.

Engineers from Yamaha, to name but one example, added considerably to the body of knowledge with SAE papers. Sites Like MacDizzy added a lot of empirical data and Kevin Cameron probably forgot more than the rest of have learned. His TDC column and book make interesting reading.

Tom Turner didn't publish in the conventional sense but his TSR software added a whole new level of knowledge to people making their living being 2 stroke "Gurus". And in the final analysis, guys like Rick Schell, Rich Oliver and Kevin Murray don't always agree with each other, so we mere mortals have to learn what we can.

I read opinions all the time on web forums from people who don't have the faintest idea what they are talking about, but because they make a lot of smoke, people assume there must be some fire behind it.

The good news is that the internet makes lots of information available. the bad news is that it's hard for people to work out what makes sense and what doesn't.

So it's like it always was. Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see.
:roll: :wink: :D
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

x.............
Last edited by Ogri on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.