Higgspeed chambers cracked- questions

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Re: Higgspeed chambers cracked- questions

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi sportston,

Good point, you do need to keep an eye on them. When racing you have to have a 3rd fixing point (the 1st being the head) to avoid pipes flying off. I have loops welded to the top of the pipe under the frame an secure them with a Bowden cable/clip type arrangement.

Cheers Geoff
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Sorry to hear you have problems Steve....
The cost to send a pair of our chambers to the States is approximately £40 (GBP), that's using UPS. Of course ours don't have headers on them !
Wouldn't it be fair to expect Higgs to pay shipping one way? It's not his fault you chose to buy his product from so far away, but it's not your fault they have broken after such a short time. Fair's fair.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

Chambers should be rubber mounted at the pegs on a T500. You can use a cheap fabric reinforced auto muffler hanger for the rear mounts as well. Desmocat showed me this one although I can't find the exact part he uses. Basically you cut the metal bit off and use the rubber. If it conflicts with your rearset mounts, make a 1/4 in alloy adapter plate that has three holes in it - two for the rearsets and a third hole further back to bolt up the rubber muffler bracket.

http://www.autozone.com/emission-contro ... 7809_19329

Sounds like the local welder will be cheaper than shipping back to Higgspeed but not by much if it takes him a couple of hours. Plus if he's repairing a tear in the chamber - will he make sure there's no "slag" that blows into the pipe from the repair welds that could alter the chambers performance?

Good luck!

Jim
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Desmocat’s T500 repli-racer has those rubber straps. He used Jemco pipes, cut the mounting brackets off, and made his own mounting brackets.
Pics are here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12056&p=158020&hil ... et#p158020

Desmocat’s T500 “Manx Titan” has Titan Performance pipes and his Shoemaker Vintage Moto rearsets. Based on the pics I’ve seen, he didn’t used any flexible anti-vibration mounting.
Pics are here: h[url]ttp://www.suzuki2strokes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... an&start=0[/url]
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

jabcb wrote:Desmocat’s T500 “Manx Titan” has Titan Performance pipes and his Shoemaker Vintage Moto rearsets. Based on the pics I’ve seen, he didn’t used any flexible anti-vibration mounting.
Pics are here: h[url]ttp://www.suzuki2strokes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... an&start=0[/url]
The link on this one didn't work for me so reposting:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6613&hilit=manx+titan

You are correct about the solid mount on the Manx Titan- I ask Desmocat about it and he said he did not use rubber mounts at the pegs as the Titan chambers are a slip-on type similar to the old Allspeeds.

Just my opinion (am not a metallurgist and did not stay at a holiday inn express last night) but the slip-on types have an extra flex point at the downpipe and cone joint that may prevent some of the stresses a solid full expansion chamber might see at the peg mounts.

For sbaugz - Not sure of your location but wondering if you could check your local VoTech and see if they can refer you to a local welder that specializes in stainless?

Jim
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

Good point about the slip joint - the stock pipes are the same.