1974 T500 Father and Son Build

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Suspensionking
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500 Suzuki, AJR Bultaco, Honda NS475

Re: 1974 T500 Father and Son Build

Post by Suspensionking »

Hi

you can buy transmission parts from this company http://www.novaracing.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have their CR gear box in my TR500 that I race in the Spanish classic championship. They sometimes take a little time to deliver but their products are excellent.

Cheers
Grey_Ghost
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by Grey_Ghost »

Howdy,

Things have slowed down quite a bit on the build over the last couple months.

The wife is finally winding down on her chemotherapy treatments. I can't say enough about what a nasty disease cancer is. However, I am so grateful modern medicine, God, prayers, and family.

My son's been working on the bike frame at his high school shop class and he just finished painting it last week and finally brought it home. Instead of buying a couple replacement gears, I was able to track down a full transmission in awesome shape on eBay last week for $69.00!! Score! I will get the damaged gears replaced and seal the motor back up and stab it in the frame.

We picked up some new fork seals for the front end and we're finishing up the clean and polish of the rear wheel assembly. We should have the wheel re-laced and trued up by next weekend.

Posts should start up here again if things don't get too crazy in the coming weeks. We have a goal to have it ready before he gets out of school for the year!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

That looks nice. I can't wait to see the next installment
Grey_Ghost
Around the block

Post by Grey_Ghost »

Howdy,

Work continues apace on the Suzuki, though not as fast as I would prefer. Life has that way of interrupting things, huh?

Quick cancer update...My wife completed her chemo about six weeks back and had a double mastectomy two weeks ago and is recovering from that little adventure. Pathology came back and said that all of the tumor is gone and there were no lingering cancer cells in the tissue that was removed. We are so grateful for this wonderful blessing! She still has a ways to go with a couple more surgeries and some radiation, but we take the good news when we can.

The latest progress we have made on the bike is getting the wheels and suspension put back together. The rear shocks were disassembled, cleaned, and re-assembled as were the front forks, along with new seals and oil.

I picked up a nice set of vintage Dunlop K-70s, along with tube and rim strips, and installed on the cleaned up rims, reassembled the brake assemblies and began putting the wheels on to get a rolling assemble. The bearings on the rear hub have seen better days so I am currently sourcing those for replacement.

As we were putting in the new transmission we determined the case halves were needed a bit more attention than we had previously given them so we pulled it all apart and will spend some time this week getting it cleaned and prepped better than before. As long as it's apart, might as well make sure it's prepared properly. The goal is to get the case cleaned, prepped, painted, and reassembled into the cradle this week. Keeping our fingers crossed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grey_Ghost
Around the block

Post by Grey_Ghost »

Howdy,

Quick update on the bike's progress. Ordered a set of pipes from Higgspeed earlier this month, opted for the polished GP-style pipes. Very excited to receive those. Should have them late May, early June. We completed getting the lower case prepped for installation which included replacement of the transmission, assembling, and painting of the case and bolts. Cylinders needed (and still need) some more work. Got the busted exhaust stud removed in the left head, but noticed two bolt holes for the right cylinder head were completely stripped and will need to be repaired. Grrrrrr... That should be a quick fix, but still...

Slung the motor into the frame and did a final install on the rear wheel assembly and cleaned and installed the chain and primary sprocket. Also test fit the clip-on handlebars. I picked up a nice set of rear-sets on eBay, but need to do a little bit of welding to get them finalized.

Things are starting to come together and we are able to visualize the finished product, but realize there is still quite a ways to go.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Looking nice! Does that chain need a link removing?
Skaal-tel
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 suzuki T500

Post by Skaal-tel »

Very cool project. Keep up the good work!
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Looking very good, GG. Like the black cases and barrels :up:

Cheers Geoff
Grey_Ghost
Around the block

Post by Grey_Ghost »

Howdy all,

It's been a while, I know, but don't worry. I'm not going to let this thread drop off to obscurity! Life's been demanding for the last several months, but we are getting ahead of it now and are able to spend some spare time in the pursuit of our passion!

We dusted off the Titan a couple weeks back and managed to get the cylinder heads and pistons installed last weekend. Three head bolts were stripped and required installation of a heli-coil to repair. Not sure how I feel about those, but time will tell.

Now that we have our own shop, it's much easier to get back at it. Next on the list is install carburetors, clutch, and oil lines. I will get up those pictures on the next go round.

PS - Yes, Sportston, you get the Eagle Eye award! The chain does need to be replaced/shortened...Sheesh!
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Looks nice! Did you get your pipes yet?
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Bike's looking good - not sure about that seat cushion tho'! :? :wink:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Grey_Ghost wrote: PS - Yes, Sportston, you get the Eagle Eye award! The chain does need to be replaced/shortened...Sheesh!
Finally, recognition for my somewhat useless talent!
The bike is looking great by the way. Your lad did an awesome job on the covers.
Grey_Ghost
Around the block

Post by Grey_Ghost »

Have finally found some time to wipe the dust off the Titan this last couple weeks. I will start hitting this a lot harder in the next little bit as the goal is to have this thing done before school gets out for the summer.

Recent work includes getting the carbs mounted onto the cylinders along with control cables. Something of note I learned during this delay...The soaking of the carb boots in the wintergreen oil worked well and made them nice and supple...last year. In the time that has elapsed, they have stiffened up considerably. Not as hard as they were before, but definitely more hard than soft.

Got the oil pump lines repaired, installed, and the oil pump tested, primed and mounted to the engine.

Most noticeable was the mounting of the new pipes from Higgspeed. They look great on the bike and hopefully sound equally great when it's running. I have run into a bit of a conflict that I did not anticipate...I found a set of rear-sets on eBay that were on a T500 race bike and figured everything would fit just fine. Wrong. The pipes the seller had sat lower on the frame than my new ones and conflict with the shifter linkage. The location (and arc) of the kick-starter also pose a conflict with the linkage. Will take a bit of figuring to sort out.

Also picked up some foam board insulation and will begin the process of building the buck for the fiberglass seat pan.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Looks great! I can hardly wait to see the finished bike. Hope you've got your earplugs. I got three for my GT380 and them Higgspeed pipes are LOUD. Sound fantastic though.
Grey_Ghost
Around the block

Post by Grey_Ghost »

Quick update...have hung the battery box, air cleaner, and boots. Finished up the headlight wiring last week and have also begun the process of building a seat pan. Cut down the fenders front and rear and will paint black to minimize their appearance. Also in the near future, fit in smaller turn signals, rear brake light (into the new seat), and sort out the control cables.

It's still moving along, just not as quick as I would prefer!