Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

bugspray
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt 500 x2

Post by bugspray »

New menber here. I must say i,m impressed with the wealth of information I found here...thamks to all contributors.
Haveng raced snowmobiles for years, I have a weak spot for 2 strokes so this fall I bought a GT500 done up in a cafe racer style.
I started looking for spare parts and as luck would have it I found a mix of 5 T andGT bikes that had been parted out years ago
so I bought the whole lot. I have one frame with papers so I decided to put together another GT500 in the same cafe style.
I am looking for a longer cafe tank and cafe style seat, exhaust pipes, rear sets ETC. if anyone has for sale just let me know.
I am in the Montreal area and would like make contact with owners of these bikes in the Montreal and Ottawa area.
Looking forward to making new friends.

Warren 450 227 8972
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Re: New member

Post by Suzukidave »

You looking for a tank and seat in metal or fiberglass ?
the older i get the faster i was
Suspensionking
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500 Suzuki, AJR Bultaco, Honda NS475

Post by Suspensionking »

Hi Warrren welcome.
I would have a fiberglass tank brand new I never used and also a older Alloy tank that was I think made for the Manx GP which I can sell. The only problem perhaps is that I am in Switzerland so sending to Canada may be expensive from here,

Cheers
Eamonn
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Remember that modern petrol (substitute!) doesn't like fibreglass and melts it.
Hardly ideal unless it's lined.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
johnu
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by johnu »

Alan H wrote:Remember that modern petrol (substitute!) doesn't like fibreglass and melts it.
Hardly ideal unless it's lined.
I only run leaded race gas in my fibre glass tanks even with a liner in there :| I bloody hate dealing with ethanol fuel :x
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Hi Bug......good to see another new 500 man on the forum.
Plus 1 on the previous posters.....ethanol and fibre glass do not go well together. We built a bike for a customer a few years back and used a glass tank. Retailer assured us it was ethanol proof. We spent a lot of money on a quality paint job, which reacted some months later. Personally, I wouldn't use a glass tank, as it's hard to be sure you have covered every inch when using a sealant.

Check out our photo gallery for ideas and inspiration. http://www.classic2strokesuzuki.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; some nice machines from all over the world.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
wolfgangh
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by wolfgangh »

Why would modern fuel melt a fiber glass tank but carbon tanks are quite common nowadays and seem to work OK with our fules? The fuel would for sure not harm the fibre glass but rather the epoxy, which is the same as used for carbon tanks.
There is 100% fuel resistant epoxy on the market, approved for use in airplanes etc. I have done crank web inserts for my RD500 engine with such epoxy and tested it before for a couple of weeks in a jar with fuel - it did no harm at all.
Good quality fiber glass tanks should been produced with such "modern-fuel" resistant epoxy and safe. Cheap or old tanks might be mase in polyester which is dangerous.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Have a look what ethanol does to old carbs and jets. No wonder it melts fibreglass.
Horrible stuff, but it allegedly keeps the polar bears alive (why bother, polar bears aren't even cuddly?)
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

+1 Wolfgang, It's the polyester resin that's the problem in tanks, no good for fuel immersion. Polyester is cheap, that's why people use it. Epoxy or Vinyl Ester resins are the way to go.
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

These guys make some cool stuff in aluminum and steel http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the older i get the faster i was
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

BSR have a bad rep for being badly made, over priced and late delivery, but I have no personal experience of that - just what I have read many times.

CF tanks are made with epoxy resin and it's pretty much ethanol resistant. I used to make fiberglass tanks with isothalic resins and they went soft if the rider left them with methanol for more than a few hours. They can be sealed with Caswell which is some sort of fuel resistant epoxy resin.

Old fiber glass tanks should be avoided as a rule.
bugspray
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt 500 x2

Post by bugspray »

I see there are a few members in the Ottawa area...would like to get in touch with you guys.
Send your contact info.
Warren 450 227 8972