T500 Special Engine (Ported) Rebuild

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Re: T500 Special Engine (Ported) Rebuild

Post by Zunspec4 »

Wow, spot on John :up: :up: :up:

Sounds very crisp and proper. Yes. A747 has a much better fragrance than the hi-tech synthetics, not up to Castrol R standards but pretty good. I believe that A747 contains the equivalent of a synthetic Castor oil. Although it has been around for quite a while and there are other good alternatives which also suit old air-cooled 2-st engines.

Have patience with getting the carburation sorted, like me you will end up with good range of jets before you are finished :lol:

Cheers Geoff
johnu
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by johnu »

johnu wrote:Well I got around to firing the bike up today, started on the second kick :) Sounds way better than before but very woolly down low. Smoked like a chimney too. Fuel tap started leaking so I'll get that fixed and take it for a quick spin.

Geoff that 747 smells bloody good :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IAjMbp ... load_owner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So a quick read of Graham Bells book tonight to brush up on jetting basics :lol:
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Thanks Geoff!

Yes I see a large jet collection in my future :mrgreen:

Cheers,
John.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Going to try to install this bad boy tomorrow, did I ever mention I hate electrical stuff :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Got the Acewell on but it is really erratic (tacho). Tried 2 coils around the plug lead and 5 coils but both the same. Going to pick up some resistor plugs to see if that makes any difference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Tacho working well now after installing resistor plugs :up: Now to work on the carbs, adjusting the air screws seems to have no effect at all on how the engine runs. Also screwed the slide stop screws all the way in and it still won't idle.
Jimroid
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT500 T500 GT750

Post by Jimroid »

Tell us exactly what it is doing. Starting ritual? Does it accept any throttle? Can those slides be put in backwards?(doubtful, but some can) Ambient temp and elevation? Video?
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

johnu wrote:Tacho working well now after installing resistor plugs :up: Now to work on the carbs, adjusting the air screws seems to have no effect at all on how the engine runs. Also screwed the slide stop screws all the way in and it still won't idle.
Hi Jim, not sure if you saw my video from last week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IAjMbp ... load_owner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it ran ok but seemed woolly on the bottom end like it needs to go down on the pilots and it wouldn't idle. I ran it again today to try to get it to idle by adjusting the slide stop screws but they didn't do anything which seems strange. It starts up first kick cold with choke and it idles high as you would expect. Once I take the choke of it won't idle. It revs up quite nicely as you can here in the video. I really need to ride it but I can tell it will be very weak down low. I'm at about 1800ft elev and high 60's temp. I'm going to take the carbs off tomorrow and try to see what's going on.
Jimroid
To the on ramp

Post by Jimroid »

Watched the video. I think I would be inclined to go from the #40 pilots to #35 or at least #37.5 and get it out on the road, under load and up to temp.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Jimroid wrote:Watched the video. I think I would be inclined to go from the #40 pilots to #35 or at least #37.5 and get it out on the road, under load and up to temp.
I think that's what I'll do. I actually have 45's in there and i'll go down to 40's.
Jimroid
To the on ramp

Post by Jimroid »

Any progress?
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

If going down in pilot jets doesn't start to respond to air screw and idle speed screw, try a #60 and see if that drowns it or cleans it up.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Been so busy with work no time to work on the bike yet. Thanks for the suggestions though.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Finally a little time to work on the bike :up:
Just took my carbs off to change the pilots to 40's (currently 45's). Air screws aren't doing anything when I try to adjust them, in or out changes nothing so I'm trying the smaller pilots. I also noticed that the slides on both carbs have different gaps at the bottom when they are both all the way down. The right side is 4.5mm and the left is 3.9mm they are both 2.5 slides. Not sure it matters when the idle is adjusted using the tapered idle screws. Would think that the machining tolerances are way closer than that.
Jimroid
To the on ramp

Post by Jimroid »

Pull the slides out and stand them face to face to compare the cut out.