T500 Special Engine (Ported) Rebuild

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

johnu
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Re: T500 Special Engine (Ported) Rebuild

Post by johnu »

Alan H wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:49 pm
johnu wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:35 am
Alan H wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:01 pm Wonder if it's using petrol/oil mix in the carbs as they were originally designed for petrol only and an oil pump for the 2T?
Just a thought......
Thanks Alan but I am not using the stock carbs these are VM34 mikunis.
I meant that the petroil mixture will give a different burn characteristic to just petrol in the carbs.
Curious to why you didn't use the oil pump though? Is it just for a cleaner look under the seat area?
Are the oil slingers still on the crank, or doesn't the 500 have them like the triples?
(My experience is mainly with 550s which don't last long on premix unless there's a lot of crankshaft work done - removing the slingers which shift oil away from the main bearings towards the little ends and under the piston crowns - and don't allow oil into the bearings which are pressure fed.)
I was having trouble finding oil lines that go from the pump to the engine, mine were cracked. And yes I did remove the oil slingers from the crank plus drilled the cases down to the outer bearings. This is mostly going to be ridden at track days and the odd street ride so not tons of miles being put on it.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Ahhh. The fog clears. More popcorn needed here then!!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Geoff, great point.

BTW, B10EGV are fine wire but they are not iridium. I think they were palladium and I still have a box of them. That's what we run in our TZs and have done since forever. I run Iridium plugs in my two strokes and generally they are fantastic plugs that fire well under almost any conditions, but you are right that when they foul they are not a lot of use.

In the last month I had that fouled plug syndrome in a CB160 with D8s and a GT750 with Iridium plugs. Leaded fuel will foul they so they cannot work. In this case I wasn't using leaded race gas - just street gas and both bikes were a little rich so I am thinking that is was soft carbon build up from not running hard enough (in our case).

But good thing to check and with some ebay sellers selling made in china copies, that could be a problem for us all to keep our eyes open for.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Richard, do you think my BR9hs plugs are a good choice? I think I only got the R because of the the digital tach/speedo (which doesn't work) interference.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

They should be fine. I prefer fine wire plugs because they will fire when traditional fat wire plugs fail to work.

Are you getting a fat spark on both sides? A double ended coil will struggle if one side is open circuit because it grounds through both sides. Check your coil and HT leads and think about getting a CDI replacement just to be sure, but test for sparks first.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

tz375 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:55 am They should be fine. I prefer fine wire plugs because they will fire when traditional fat wire plugs fail to work.

Are you getting a fat spark on both sides? A double ended coil will struggle if one side is open circuit because it grounds through both sides. Check your coil and HT leads and think about getting a CDI replacement just to be sure, but test for sparks first.
Spark is good, coil is new. Getting new plugs today. What are the fine wire plugs, I will get those.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

B9EGV, with resistor plug caps or BR9EIX with zero resistance caps.

Or go slightly hotter for unleaded and use 8's
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

tz375 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:08 pm B9EGV, with resistor plug caps or BR9EIX with zero resistance caps.

Or go slightly hotter for unleaded and use 8's
Thanks, I just ordered some 8's.
Also I may have discovered part of my problem! I was putting the carbs back on and i noticed that there was fuel in the left side fuel filter which there shouldn't have been as the fuel line was disconnected from the carb therefore the filter should have been empty. On closer inspection I could see some crud in the filter. The filters were brand new just two week ago. So I am going to drain the tank and filter the fuel back in. I think this is why it felt like it was only running on one cylinder for part of my test ride.