T500 Special Engine (Ported) Rebuild

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

johnu
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Re: T500 Special Engine (Ported) Rebuild

Post by johnu »

Zunspec4 wrote:Hi John,

You can avoid modifying the "Plate, oil guide" when going pre-mix by sustituting it for a 2nd regular thrust washer (P/N 08211- 25401 (P/N 08212 - 25401 for M model)).

I did google the P/N and several sites had them listed.

Cheers Geoff
Thanks Geoff that's perfect :up: How come there are two different part numbers and what is the M model?

John.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Well I got my engine apart and there is a good amount of gearbox oil in the crankcase. Is the center bearing lubricated from the gearbox via the hole in the crankcase that is directly in line with the center bearing? Pic 2 If so I would suspect that the center seals are no good and that is how oil got in the crankcase.
When I convert to premix do I need to drill holes in the case down through the transfer area right where the casting mark is? Pic 1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
old racer
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RG250 GT750L GT750 DRAG seelyt500 tr500MK3

Post by old racer »

johnu wrote:
old racer wrote:In all the years i raced my bikes on premix i never removed the slingers.
Ok, are we talking T500's here? If so what did you do to convert from injection to premix?
Sorry no 750.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi John,

I have no idea why there is a different part No. for the T500M model, probably a new (common to other models) part was introduced. I don't believe it would make any difference, I have several cranks and apart from the difference between a T and GT crank for points cam or generator rotor I treat them the same.

I have heard of drilling the hole from the transfer port through to the bearing but again I don't think it is necessary, none of my c/cases have this modification. Yep, the centre main bearing is lubricated from the g/box oil.

Cheers Geoff
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Ok Geoff thanks! I think those center crank seals were the main culprit with the issues I was having. I will be much happier running premix too. I know the oil injection is a well proven system but my parts are old and I don't trust it personally. If you run premix you know you are getting lubrication. Like I said in the original post I am going to be using the bike at trackdays mostly anyway and using race gas so no worries about mixing oil and gas at the pump :up:
I was looking at the big end bearings on the exploded parts view and I see that the cage and the rollers are separate parts on the original crank. Are there one piece items available?

Cheers,

John.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Do you know what size they are? I got a pile of big end bearings with silver plated cages recently and they are the wrong size for my needs. Maybe they would work for you. Just PM me the size of pin diameter, big end eye bore and cage width and I'll see what I have that would work.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi John,

The cage and the roller pins are separate items. The pins are still available from Suzuki, Cages are more difficult to source.

I was once told that the silver plated cages were good for 10,000 rpm and were better than the gold plated cages so the ones tz375 has could be a good option (if they fit the T500 crank).

Cheers Geoff
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

tz375 wrote:Do you know what size they are? I got a pile of big end bearings with silver plated cages recently and they are the wrong size for my needs. Maybe they would work for you. Just PM me the size of pin diameter, big end eye bore and cage width and I'll see what I have that would work.
Thanks Richard i'll try to find out the dimensions :up:
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Jeez I can't believe those o rings that go on the crankshaft bearings are $10 each :wth:
old racer
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RG250 GT750L GT750 DRAG seelyt500 tr500MK3

Post by old racer »

Someone's ripping you off,I paid about $8 for six the last time i bought some.

Just found this.
https://www.discountbikespares.co.uk/ou ... -T500.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

They are listed at £2.42 on the Robinsons Foundry site. So $10 seems a bit on the rich side considering the exchange rate :D .

Cheers Geoff
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

I haven't been ripped off yet as I didn't buy them :lol: I will do a bit more searching on US websites, must be a better deal out there. I got a good deal on my Wossners over here finally though :up: I'm having to order from a bunch of different suppliers as no one has everything that I want! Ebay has been my friend today :roll:
Jimroid
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT500 T500 GT750

Post by Jimroid »

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/s ... 76001.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; $1.93 each if I see it correctly. Partzilla is not superfast delivery, but put your big OEM shopping list with them. I buy Yamaha and Suzuki, cheapest I found.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Jimroid wrote:http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/s ... 76001.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; $1.93 each if I see it correctly. Partzilla is not superfast delivery, but put your big OEM shopping list with them. I buy Yamaha and Suzuki, cheapest I found.
Thanks Jim, i'll check it out :up:
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Hey Jim good call on that partzilla :up: I ordered my o rings, small end bearings and they had the left side crankshaft oil seal. Just need to find the right side oil seal now and then I have pretty much everything.