T500 Special Engine (Ported) Rebuild

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

tz375
Moto GP

Re: T500 Special Engine (Ported) Rebuild

Post by tz375 »

John,
Riding a RGS to get fish and chips sounds like the sixties all over again. I can't remember but is your Goldie a DBD34? Mine was a big fin DB32 (there was no DBD32) and that was a long time ago. That was my daily driver for a while and completely unsuited to the task but on a summer evening on the country roads around Hamilton, it was a joy to ride fast.

I am pretty sure you can get Wiseco's from Summit or direct from Wiseco's web site here in the US and Wossners are available from Jim Hinshaw at Fast from the Past. He has them listed for GT750s so for a T500 you get a spare piston- or ask him for a pair :?
johnu
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by johnu »

Ya going to take my dad back down memory lane probably for the last time as he is suffering from Parkinsons disease and will not be able to ride his bikes very soon. My goldie is a DB32 :up: Like you say not the most comfortable ride but a good laugh for thrashing around the twisties :mrgreen:

I tell you what Richard I can get a pair of Wossners in England for the price of one here in the States :shock: I've seen Wiseco's for $299 for a pair over here which is still way more than UK prices. Do you have any thoughts on why I had so much gas in my gearbox oil when I drained it?

John.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I would expect that a carb was weeping fuel into the crankcase/s and form there is seeped through the center seals and into the transmission.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

No Wossners available in the UK, they are waiting for them to be made at the factory :( I may end up buying the $299 Wiseco's from Paul Miller.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

johnu wrote:No Wossners available in the UK, they are waiting for them to be made at the factory :( I may end up buying the $299 Wiseco's from Paul Miller.
Hello John,

The company I mentioned did not have the +0.5mm Wossners, said the same about waiting for the next batch from the factory. They got me a pair of +1.00mm within 5 days, an alternative maybe? unless you are wanting to save the oversizes on your barrels for future requirements.

Cheers Geoff
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Hi Geoff,

Yes that's the plan to save material for the future :D
My guess is they really don't know when the next batch will be produced so I'm going to go with the Wiseco's.
It's bloody cold over here in blighty :wth: Must have gone soft living in SoCal :mrgreen:

Cheers,
John.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hello John,

Cold, this aint cold :D . OK compared to SoCal I guess it is, been there on business jaunts, but I'm not jealous :lol: . My No. 2 race engine will have Wiseco's, they're a good piston.

Cheers Geoff
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Ok guys just looking for parts for my crank rebuild and came across these on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-T500-GT5 ... JW&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anybody used them before, are they anygood? They bloody better be for that price :wth: I was thinking about just cahnging the seals but might as well do everything while it's apart I suppose.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hello John,

That kit is certainly keenly priced. I have knowledge that the oil holes in the outer main bearings did not line up to their respective feed holes in the crankcases. The result is as you can imagine. Whether this maching error was limted or if later batches were corrected it would pay to check befor you fit them.

Cheers Geoff
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Ok thanks Geoff. If that's a keen price what are the genuine ones priced at :wth: I don't want to take any chances if there have been issues with these before!

Thanks,
John.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

johnu wrote:Ok thanks Geoff. If that's a keen price what are the genuine ones priced at :wth: I don't want to take any chances if there have been issues with these before!

Thanks,
John.
If you are lucky enough to come across genuine NOS Suzuki main bearings you will pay a handsome price, John. Several hundreds of Dollars + Seals (still available from Suzuki). Cruzinimage have sold sound and value for money parts, but, also parts that are not up to scratch (this across all brands of bike). They also seem to be quite vindictive as I have heard several storys where folk leaving even neautral feedback on eBay had further orders blocked. Maybe that's why the listing says it won't ship to the UK :D .

Cheers Geoff
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Hey Geoff,

If that's the case I will probably use the same main bearings that are in there now. I think it's highly unlikely that there is anything wrong with them. I'll just have new seals installed. Should I have the big end bearings done while the crank is apart, is that normal to change them when it's apart.

Thanks
John.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

johnu wrote:Hey Geoff,

If that's the case I will probably use the same main bearings that are in there now. I think it's highly unlikely that there is anything wrong with them. I'll just have new seals installed. Should I have the big end bearings done while the crank is apart, is that normal to change them when it's apart.

Thanks
John.
Hi John,

The main bearings can be inspected for roughness/uneveness when the crank is apart. The crank builder should advise you if any require replacing, same for big ends. Of course if you have the parts a full re-build is the way to go, but. you do need those parts :) .

When I had my road T500 crank re-built Grampian Motors were able to tell me the mains were good but we fitted new big ends (although what I already had were reasonable) and the seals/O-rings that encircle the bearings. I would think that new seals/O-rings are all you are likely to need, but you have to work on a case-by-case basis. Changing the small ends out is always a good idea if you can do it as they do take a lot of strain.

I guess we are lucky here in the UK as I can think of at least three guys I would happily send a crank too for a re-build.

Cheers Geoff
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Geoff,

Yes you are lucky to have a good choice of crank rebuilders! I am going to use Bill Bune here in the States and I know he is reputable but I just wish he was local as I like to have a face to face to explain exactly what I want done. I am thinking of going down the premix route so I will have to explain about switching out those oil flingers (or whatever they are called). If I could I would take them off then just reduce the diameter and put them back on while the crank is apart. I'm actually a half decent machinist among other things so I could machine the flingers down myself if I was closer to the crank builder.
I've got calls in to a couple more suppliers of Wossner pistons so hoping that that works out. Still need to source big end and little end bearings, crank seals and the o rings.

Cheers
John.
Jimroid
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT500 T500 GT750

Post by Jimroid »

Bill could easily just grind off the outer cup from the slingers to keep dimensions correct. For me, I chose to not destroy my stock slingers and used an equivalent shim stock.