T500 Special Engine (Ported) Rebuild

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Jimroid
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT500 T500 GT750

Re: T500 Special Engine (Ported) Rebuild

Post by Jimroid »

I did some google sniffing. About the only thing worth mentioning is this combo with bearings and gaskets too. 2nd over, that way you know it will clean up. My buddy that bores lots of cylinders always grumbles when people bring in only the next size over and then it can be a real bugger to get wore cylinders to clean up fully. Just something to keep in mind.http://m.ebay.com/itm/381668946390?_trk ... mwBanner=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
johnu
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by johnu »

Thanks Jim, that's a good deal plus you get the small end bearings but I think I'm set on running forged pistons which as far as I am aware the Suzuki pistons are cast.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

My barrels, heads and pistons as I dismantled them today. Only about 3 miles on it since rebuild but don't forget the pistons were the originals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

This is a sample size of one, but I have used Cruzin Image pistons in the Phat Trakka and I run that past 8,000 regularly. They are cheap and good quality. That bike is a very mild street tune.

But in the new race motor a set of Wiseco or Wossner pistons are going in.

BTW, that right head almost looks like it has not fired up and the "gap" round the head looks large. Did you cc the heads and check the deck when you built it? Suzuki heads are a quiescent design and there is no squish as such, but you may be able to deck them slightly to pick up more torque.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

tz375 wrote:This is a sample size of one, but I have used Cruzin Image pistons in the Phat Trakka and I run that past 8,000 regularly. They are cheap and good quality. That bike is a very mild street tune.

But in the new race motor a set of Wiseco or Wossner pistons are going in.

BTW, that right head almost looks like it has not fired up and the "gap" round the head looks large. Did you cc the heads and check the deck when you built it? Suzuki heads are a quiescent design and there is no squish as such, but you may be able to deck them slightly to pick up more torque.
Hey Richard,
When I first ran the bike it did run intermittently on one cylinder so I assume that's the difference in the color on the heads. The step in the head is the same on both it's just the picture distorting it. I am Taking 0.020" off the heads which I should have done originally but I went the short cut route just to get it running which I now regret (not sure if you read my original post). Also one of the pistons is dry on top and the other is wet.

I am going to go with the forged pistons, I want to build the engine to the best it can be this time. When I get the crank rebuilt should I just put in new seals or change all the bearings as well? I am sending it to Bill Bune, he will bore the cylinders also.

As I stated in the original post there was a lot of gas in the oil when I drained it, would this be from a bad center seal on the crank?

Cheers,
John.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Hi Geoff,

Can't get a hold of those guys about the pistons I might just have to try calling when I get back to the UK. Tried calling and email no luck.

John,
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hello John,

Here is the link to their contact page:

http://www.steelconrods.co.uk/contact_u ... 46de416755

When you call from the US their tel no. will be 44-1376-583030.

I had no trouble speaking to them so I don't know why they are not answering. If you still have trouble contacting them I can easily act as a go between, just let me know what pistons you want.

Cheers Geoff
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Ok thanks Geoff, yes that's the number I was trying but kept getting answering machine. I am going to be over there for a couple of weeks (leaving this weekend) so I'll try calling as soon as I get there.

Looking forward to getting my fill of fish n chips while I'm back there :mrgreen:

John.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi John,

Ah yes, fish and chips at the seaside after getting there by bike, can't beat it :D

Cheers Geoff
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Yes Geoff can't beat that :up: I'll be riding the old mans BSA Rocket Goldstar while he plonks along on one of his other ancient jobs :lol: The beezer is the newest bike he's got :mrgreen:

Cheers,
John.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Sounds like a Rocker's reunion, John. Just remember not to chase any Mods if you see them on the sea front :lol:

Have fun.

Cheers Geoff
Jimroid
To the on ramp

Post by Jimroid »

Have a great trip. Can you bring back some good fish and chips for me please ?! Ha.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Thanks guys :up:
Hopefully we won't come across too many mods :mrgreen:
Jim that fish might be a bit smelly after a ten hour flight :lol:
I also have a Rockers bike here in the USA that my dad sent to me its a 1953 BSA Goldstar :)

I should also note that I will be partaking in some real beer drinking while I'm there :lol:

Cheers,

John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimroid
To the on ramp

Post by Jimroid »

That is a real keeper right there. Very nice!
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Coo, you have some cracking bikes, John. I have never ridden an old school performance single, I'd love to take one out around the Cotswolds for an afternoon (sunny afternoon of course :D )

Cheers Geoff